1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Wheel Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jyii07, Sep 14, 2020.

1. jyii07

jyii07 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All,

Just purchased a used 2016 Prius Four and the mechanic said the Front Right wheel bearing needs to be replaced. I've seen mixed reviews saying that its also recommended to replace both wheel bearings at the same time instead of just one, is this true? Can someone please recommend me a good part for this? OEM looks to run ~$350 but another company that makes wheel bearings that I've seen recommended called TIMKEN is selling theirs for ~$170. My shop is also charging around $150 for labor. Thank you!

amos likes this.
  2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I can say Timken is a well known brand.
    Whether aftermarket or OEM is your decision.

As to both at the same time.
    My question would be why did only one side fail?

If you mileage is low I don't see a reason why you have to do both sides.
    I could understand the drive tire bearing taking more "abuse" (even with low mileage).
    If the bearing failed because of mileage, then yes it is prudent to do both sides.
    If you live in a snow zone, I would do both sides.

Maybe another co-member can comment (or a search) on the ease of visually inspecting and re-greasing front wheel bearings?
    Maybe a search of this forum can offer more suggestions to the Timken brand?

Good luck in your decision.

amos likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many kilometers has the car travelled?

I've done just one side at least once - possibly twice - was a long time ago. It was the LH side the first time - but then we drive on the left hand side of the road.

amos likes this.
  4. jyii07

jyii07 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I decided to go with the Timken brand. Was $160 through amazon. The vehicle has 100k miles so its definitely on the higher end. I only ordered one wheel bearing for now and if the mechanic says both are bad i can just ask to repair the second one later. Appreciate the comments and insight.

Car has traveled 100k miles which is 160k kilometres.