1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius with tech package, or 2013/2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited with tech package

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by minnyprius, Oct 23, 2015.

?
  1. 2016 Prius with Tech Package

20.0%
  2. 2014 Toyota Avalon Limited with Tech Package

80.0%
  1. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello PriusChat world!

So... I'm about a year away from buying a new car. I've been debating what I'll get for about, oh, the last 7 years. hehehe...

I'm a fan of hatchbacks for cargo flexibility, but I'm also a fan of all-out luxury cars.
    I'm also a fan of radar cruise control, ideally with full-speed, stop-n-go traffic capability.
    I'm also a fan of smaller vs larger, and quieter vs louder, and high MPG vs low MPG.
    I'm also 6'2" with long legs, and I find the driver's leg room in the Gen3 Prius to be a bit cramped, and not sure what to expect with the Gen4, but assume it'll be better than the Gen3.

In my waiting for the 2016 Prius to be revealed, I discovered the Avalon Hybrid. I test drove one the other day, and it... is gorgeous. I love the ride, the serenity, 40 mpg sounds great, the much improved leg room... and you can pick up a used one (limited with tech) for less than $30k.

I've been driving a smart fortwo for the last 7.5 years, and I'm so used to being one of the most maneuverable, parkable vehicles out there, so getting a 196" car worries me a bit. And having a sedan with a trunk instead of a hatchback with a cargo bay is also a bit of a concern. Believe it or not, I've been able to haul more bulky items in my smart than I could ever get in my Maxima... 250 sq ft of flooring, full size cabinets, my little giant ladder, and many other things... a large opening and a flat-folding passenger seat are very handy.

So... I thought I'd throw this out to the intelligent folks of PriusChat to see what your thoughts are.

Would you get a 1 or 2 year old Avalon Hybrid Limited, or get a brand new Prius? I'm guessing they'll land at a similar price point.

I know this is an incredibly personal decision, but I'm overly analytical, and like data, differing viewpoints, etc.

Thanks everyone!

2. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

The two cars you are considering are so different in my mind that it is difficult to compare them. What you seem to like about both is the mpg. It would seem that mpg up to a point is of interest. But going from 40 to say 55 may not be so important to you. Size seems to be an issue. The Avalon has always struck me as a full size car for Toyota versus an American icon like a Ford Grand Marq. or some other large car. If space is desirable but size should be kept small look to the Prius or Prius V. They qualify as mid size, but in a small package size. The hatchback allows for a lot of stuff. Luxury is not going to be part of the Prius experience. If you want luxury then get the equivalent Prius from Lexus. Then you will enjoy a level of service that no Toyota dealer can compete against. As for tech. Toyota is not comfortable with pushing the technology. They go with what is proven and reliable. If you want real safety you may need to go to another brand. Compare what a Mercedes does with radar and its ability to actually stop the car versus a passive warning system Toyota. Even Subaru has a world class safety system. The Prius has yet to include blind spot monitoring which I consider to be absolutely necessary from a safety standpoint. Why buy a car that does not offer you the best in safety since you will keep it for many years. I would recommend you prioritize what you want in technology and safety and then take a look at what cars offer that.
    Manny

3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My values are very similar to yours. I wished that Toyota had come out with a luxury version of the Prius rather than the cramped and not especially luxurious ct200.

As I am sure that you have read, the new Prius is built using the new TNGA manufacturing system and should feel more luxurious with quieter interior and better ride. Given my preference for a compact (but space efficient) vehicle, I would chose the new Prius but would wish for some luxury feature like power seat memory which is available in the Avalon but not (I don't think) the new Prius.

Since you are a year away, there may be info about future vehicles to be built on the TNGA platform including the next gen Camry and Avalon hybrids and possibility a replacement for the Lexus ct200. Those vehicles, with improvement of TNGA and refinements of the hybrid systems, could be real winners.

Here is a link to Toyota and Lexus re-model plans:
    Prius Gen4 Model/Features/Options/Pricing | PriusChat

#3 royrose, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    minnyprius likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would go for the Avalon. Its an absolutely beautiful and luxury vehicle and it gets 40 mpgs.

minnyprius likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget the hycam, baby sister to the avalon, smaller, cheaper, nice smooth quiet ride and 45 mpg.

minnyprius likes this.
  6. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is also under consideration, but if I'm going to compromise my hatchback preference, I want to go all-out with a luxury car, and the Avalon feels more upscale than the Camry to me. I've been driving a shoe for 7.5 years... I want luxury now.. hehehe.

I'm honestly leaning toward Prius... I really want to keep the more compact/hatchback design... It depends on the pricing and leg room. I think the Avalon would make me feel "rewarded" but at the end of the day, it's a vehicle, not a feeling. I need it to do a task and get me places... I have my motorcycle for good times travel.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, the 16 Prius with advanced technology package will have blind spot monitor, radar cruise that stops the car. Not sure If its PCS system will stop the car completely like the Subaru Eyesight. It probably does since it has perdestrian collision detection.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree on avalon lux over camry. tough to get much luxury out of the prius, have you considered lexus?

minnyprius likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DRCC w/ full speed - Prius
    Smaller vs. larger - Prius
    Quieter vs. louder - Currently Avalon. Depends how quiet the new Prius is
    High mpg vs. low mpg - Well the Prius is expected to get 55mpg vs. 40mpg
    Driver's legroom - Avalon

Bonus: Driver's seat cushion length - Avalon (but the Gen 4's front seats are oh so comfortable)

You've got a tough decision. The Avalon is a really nice car. It's beautifully styled (can't say that for any of the previous Avalons, except possibly the 1st gen), well put together (made in TMMK IIRC) and has all the little touches without the Lexus price. I found the new Camry has cut a few corners - The driver's seat cushion is shorter than the Gen 3 (Someone here... possibly @cycledrum posted a picture with a folded cardboard box to illustrate the length of the driver's seat cushion), the coin box is bare plastic (previous iterations had rubber lined boxes. The Avalon's coin box is felt lined), the rear headrests are fixed (still adjustable in the Avalon's).

The '16 Prius' PCS will reduce the speed by 30km/h for pedestrian detection and 40km/h for other large objects. I don't know if that means we can assume if you're travelling under 30km/h, the car will stop completely. The DRCC can bring the car down to 0km/h so my guess is that PCS can completely stop the car if it's below those thresholds.

minnyprius likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    y not a v

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. Tough call. Too bad he poll doesn't have an option for "I'm split too".

I'm in the exact same boat as you: "If I decide to bail on the hatchback I want full-out luxury." I have been eyeing the Avalon Hybrid since the very first time I saw one. Tideland and Paradox remember that day. ;)

I don't need the hatch on a daily basis, but I use it enough to be a tie-breaker decision. Also, I happen to really like the new look of the Prius. So, like you, I'm waiting for the opportunity to spend some time with the Gen4 before I make my decison. Good luck!

minnyprius likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are times I wished I had a sedan (secure trunk vs. having to pull the cover all the time) and a quieter cabin (since the trunk is isolated). However, every so often I'm reminded how flexible a hatchback can be. Like carrying a hardcase coleman cooler which fit in the Prius with zero issues but couldn't fit in a current gen Corolla because the opening was too small (ended up putting it in sideways and praying the ice doesn't melt enough to leak all over the trunk)

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I would not buy a (Toyota) hybrid sedan (with trunk) because of the space the hybrid battery takes up and the very small trunk pass through. I have been working on our house a lot lately, carrying 8 ft. piece(s) of 2x4 , 10ft drip edge (not sure that fits in Prius), even a 16ft extension ladder (which is 100 inches) in Prius. Other day I bought a door insulation kit (screw in kind, like 7 ft long) which probably would fit in cabin of a hybrid sedan .....

but those other items I mentioned, no way they would fit in an Avalon or Camry hybrid. Maybe a stick of 2x4 would fit. Don't know.

If I only had one car, say, Camry hybrid and needed to carry a long item home, I'd be out of luck unless I borrowed or rented another car or truck. Renting vehicles, especially U-haul trucks is very pricey due to mileage charges.

minnyprius likes this.
  14. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great feedback and thoughts, everyone, thank you so much for taking the time!

I'm still very torn, and really hoping to be able to sit in a '16 Prius soon.

That Avalon sure is beautiful, both inside and out. This is a very tough decision. I don't haul big stuff often, but those few times it's needed, it just feels good being able to do it with your own vehicle. BUT... On a daily basis, being able to drive around in luxury sounds pretty great... and I spend a fair amount of time on the highways (living in the Twin Cities, no matter where you go, you can get there by freeway, plus most of my socializing takes place with people on other corners of the metro). I also enjoy driving up to the Keweena Peninsula to see da folks.

I have a car rental place within walking distance, which is pretty convenient... plus, Home Depot allows you to rent a truck for an hour for $20. Not bad, I've used that a couple times over the last 7 years.

I'm leaning toward the Avalon, but the Prius is still in the running... (in fact, the Subaru XV Crosstrek is still in the running, honestly... I love that Eyesight system, and it's a great size, with great ride-height and amazing sit-in height... but it's noisy, and I don't really want all that additional mechanical stuff to possibly cause trouble 10 years down the road... But, My step-mom just bought a 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight and I suddenly got jealous... hehehe! BUT they live where they get 300" of snow a year... We only get around 50").

So.. anyway.. still about a year to debate, analyze, and drive myself nuts. ;)