1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 PRIUS

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by allen7482000, Sep 8, 2015.

1. TCW1184

TCW1184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the look from the front and 3/4, but the back, man I'm not feeling it from pictures. While I don't like the location of the cluster, I do like the new look. Seems like they incorporated a power meter as a standard function. I like that a lot. That's what's on my display 100% of the time while I'm driving. Need hands-on

iPhone ?

2. Fujisan

Fujisan Blizzard Brigade #309

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your children maybe, but a lot of children, including my son, get car sick looking down at devices whilst travelling, so prefer to look out of the windows and watch the scenery go by.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a little concerned about the position of the shift lever. I liked where it is on our Gen II.

My wife likes to set her purse on the floor in front of the console. If she does that in the Gen IV her purse could move the shift lever into neutral while we are driving. That could be a serious safety factor. I imagine losing power, then fooling around with the purse while she tries to put the car back into drive.

TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    purse holder, another decontenting.:mad:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a V-8. deal breaker for me

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My wife has put my gen2 into neutral, on a busy highway, on me, from the passenger seat while reaching around for something.

The only solutions to this risk is a traditional shifter, or a push button shifter. The first can still be accidentally shifted out of drive, just not as easily, and the second would likely be viewed as too weird by many of the public.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was sitting in the driver's seat and a Toyota guy climbed into the passenger seat. I never was able to make out who he was but he was asking my impressions. I told him the exact same thing about the shifter. I even showed him how - in my Gen2 - I can parallel park the car with my right hand and shift while holding on to the steering wheel. I told him that it is very practical for the owners to have the shifter right there within hand's reach because it doesn't matter whether you are parallel parking or just pulling out of a spot at the store, it's better there. That's when I asked him what the focus groups thought of the shifter positioning. He didn't have an answer for that, which I took to mean that he had absolutely nothing to do with the design elements.

Tideland Prius and HTMLSpinnr like this.
  8. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually I like the center console layout of the Gen II. There are only two things I would change.

1) have an indicator to tell me when I'm pushing too hard on the brake pedal so I'm actually using the brakes rather than just regen. I hear the Gen III has this feature.

2) I would like the instant MPG shown as a digital value along with the bar graph and digital display of the average mpg. I always end up flipping back and forth between the two displays to get that info.

Of course, like so many others, I hate the gauges in the middle of the dash. I don't care that they are way forward under the windshield. I'd just want them directly in front of my like almost all other cars.

It's interesting to note that if one manufacturer creates a new design others will copy it if it is popular. No other manufacturers have taken up the Toyota design of putting the gauges in the center of the dash.

We like the arm rest, cup holders, space in front of the cup holders for my wife's purse, and the little drawer which we use for trash. The Gen II has the 12V plug under the dash for our GPS, and two glove boxes. We're pretty happy with the Gen II. Wish I could buy a brand new Gen II.

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There was Honda at one point, or am I thinking of the first-gen Echo?

bisco likes this.
  10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know, most cars don't have the speedometer directly in front of the driver.

11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And I'll say it again, tilt-telescoping steering wheels often interfere. That said, I suspect under the dash in front of the driver is pretty packed making it easier to put the display where it is. I was hesitant when I first got ours, but I don't have any problem at all seeing/keeping track of my speed, unlike in my grandson's Mustang.

12. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    If you mean it is somewhat offset from the center by a few inches then yes I agree. But every car I've owned, and rented, has had the speedometer in the gauge cluster in front of the driver. The Prius is the only car I've ever driven where the speedometer isn't in front of the driver.

I have two modes of operation regarding the speedometer. One is on cruise after which I don't pay attention to the speedometer. I actually tend to use cruise around town as much as I like because if I don't I'm likely to drift in terms of controlling the car's speed. The other is, off cruise, watching my speed and holding to about 4mph over the speed limit. I don't want to get a speeding ticket, yet I do want to squeeze out as much speed as I can and feel comfortable with it. In that case I want that speedometer to be directly in front of me rather than off to the side where I have to deflect my sight line. The Gen II isn't too bad, although it shows Toyota's desire to push it more toward the center. From what I could see the Gen III was more to the center than the Gen II.

This summer we took a look at a Prius v but rejected it because Toyota did manage to really push the speedometer way more to the center and away from the windshield. We may very well have purchased a Prius v except for that one feature.

Buying a car is the second most expensive thing I buy after a house. We drive it almost every day, and keep our cars for 7 to 10 years on average. These details are very important to me. I make detailed spreadsheets, listing the important features to me, weight those features, and buy the car that suits me best. Sometimes little details like this become highly weighted because they are important to me.

I hear the Gen III had a HUD. That would be interesting. I'd have to guess if Toyota put a HUD in the Gen III they knew there was a problem with the speedometer placement. I'd hope the Gen IV has one too and I'd like to see it in action.

#52 jdonalds, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But it's very near the driver, and off to the right, with the tach or other instruments to the left. If you were to draw a line from your center of vision through the center of the speedometer and continue on that path up to the base of the windshield, I'd bet you'd end up pretty close to where it it on the Gen 4. I just checked that line in my two Mazda's, and that line passes through the base of the windshield about 6-8 inches left of center.

Not that that's okay, the Prius has the opportunity to be better and have it directly in front of the driver, but it's probably no worse left/right than a regular car, and it's better up/down because it's much nearer your on-road vision path.

14. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Good point. I just don't want it to be pushed any more to the center. Also with gauges in front of the driver there is also fuel, water, oil, tack, etc. So the gauges in front of the driver is still a win in my book.

Some recent cars have come out with a digital speedometer right in the center of the gauge console.

#54 jdonalds, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  15. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    3rd gen had a HUD in some markets too. The HUD will help significantly, and is a feature that I imagine will be quite popular if they make it part of most packages.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I sat in a new Echo, and thought Wth, centralized instruments. And I've never seen such in a Honda. Toyota does manage to put the instruments in front of driver in many vehicles, not sure why they perpetuate this center of dash instruments in the Prius (and others?). Due to a clamor of requests for it? :whistle:

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The obvious reason is that it makes it cheaper to make LHD or RHD with some shared components.

18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 3 HUD can show simplified version of the HSI alongside with the speed, a BIG plus for me.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But there is very few shared components with a center mount since many center mounts aren't truly centered on the dash. Maybe there are some tiny cost savings, which can be important in a Yaris sized car class where margins are tight, but the Prius is a little more upscale.

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Upscale maybe, but we are also looking at a shared platform. I'd be interested to see what Toyota says about shared parts content (% with sister cars).