1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 - Strut Nut - Technical Bulletin

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TLCESQ, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they had a bad batch from a supplier, they could replace them with the same part number, assuming they have culled their stock.
    Do you see other manufacturers renaming products after a recall? They only recall the affected batches and sometimes offer replacement with the same product.

RCO likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure they tighten the loose nut behind the steering wheel too. :D

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm liking this new Prius less and less. It's not worth all the trouble. Three recalls, and a technical service bulletin in the first six months?!?!

Then you have all the other glitches and oddities and weird things happening. Like finding my door locks unlocked several times a week. It happened again today, when I came back out to my car from the store. The damn doors were unlocked! I wish I could disable or turn off all that silly automatic locking/unlock stuff, and just go back to a simple door key. IMO, Quality control at Toyota is really getting bad... and they are trying to make these cars so fancy and complicated and it's totally unnecessary. It's just messing things up.

Most of the time, simplicity is better.

4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was the start of production for a totally new drive-train & vehicle. You can expect startup woes. That is why some people say to never buy the first version of any software. Wait for others to find the issues & for them to be fixed.
    You can do that. According to the manual, it is a setting from the Multifunction Display. I would guess it is under the Vehicle Setup menu somewhere.

5. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Somewhat, new. But they've been making the Prius for what, 19 years now? There is nothing wrong with the drivetrain… I just think there's been some sloppy assembly, and/or some cheap and inferior parts being installed. With all due respect, that's just my personal opinion.

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the first model produced with the TNGA Chassis Toyota hopes to use across almost their entire product line. This in turn permits them to totally redesign their factories and save costs.
    See How the Toyota New Global Architecture Will Impact Mass-Car Building
    and TNGA explained: engineering for the future - Toyota

7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the new global platform. But there still should be better quality control. And/or better parts being installed.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They must have failures in order to get better. Otherwise, how would they know what "better" looks like?
    You will never be successful if you do not take a chance that you may fail and then learn from it.

pilotgrrl, RCO and krmcg like this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, agreed, but we're talking 19 years of Prius making! The glitches and the things that are going wrong on the new GEN4, seem to be things that should have been worked out several years ago.

Door locks.
    Loose nuts.
    Problems with the sunroof.
    Cabin noise and rattles.
    Mis-aimed headlights.
    Defective airbags!
    Multiple Entune problems and issues.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And if you waited and bought a 2017 Two for instance
    Loose nut issue already fixed
    No sunroof to give problems
    Headlight aim and glare fixed
    Airbag issue resolved
    No issues with basic Entune.

I believe you are paying the early adopter penalty.

11. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I'm from Missouri,show me, my front shocks bottom out all the time, my rear shocks make noises occasionally, if Koni had a replacement, including springs, thank the lord, Toyota makes money, they ride the edge of cheap.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Possibly, but those are all items that of been around for dozens of years! I don't know for sure, but I think the 2017 Prius has the same rear struts as the 2016. And are you positive about the airbag issue? Maybe your recall just hasn't arrived yet. :ROFLMAO:

13. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hate to agree with you, but I tend to agree. It seems like the cheapness started back around 2009. Many articles and reviews I read, were complaining about the Corolla and the Camry and how cheap the interior and other areas looked.

And look how many YEARS the Gen2 & Gen3 Prius owners have been complaining about noise and interior rattles! Toyota never seemed to improve on that. (They say the 2016 model is quieter, but you wouldn't know it if you were driving MY Prius. Just my humble opinion.) I guess most people overlook all the glitches and issues because of the great gas mileage. But my patience is definitely wearing thin…

14. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Despite the fact that cars are mass produced, each car is built individually. Therefore faults and failures may appear in unique combinations in any individual car. Faults that appear in many cars are issues of quality manufacture or poor engineering and design.

Just remember that in producing and flying the space shuttle they used rocket science (much more complex and redundant than car science) and two of them still exploded.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is my experience that consumers with a grievance tend to be more vocal than those feeling well satisfied. Yet we see far more G4 Prius driver's reasonably satisfied than we do those complaining. Of course, that's said without my seeing reviews elsewhere, but if there were more complaints, they have not proven newsworthy.

pilotgrrl and krmcg like this.
  16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing good about these forms… They are full of complaints! :LOL: Come here, and you will learn what is bad about all generations of Prius. Kind of depressing, isn't it?

17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I have read most of these threads, I've seen mainly requests for information, help or advice. These usually result in answers, guidance and debate. There have been some gripes, and you yourself have had more than a fair share! But not all problems have been gripes and I believe that your case is in the minority. I am also confident that most on here commiserate with you and genuinely wish they could help you. (y)

pilotgrrl and krmcg like this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm good. I don't need any help (yet, thank you.) I'm driving the bloody heck out of that little Disneyland car, and getting 60 mpg, Mate!

But I sure see a lot of people, writing about a lot of problems with their Prius in these forums. Every generation has certain issues and glitches and failures. Perhaps that's normal. But If I get any more recalls in the mail, that Chevy pickup truck is looking a lot better.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  19. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not depressing at all, as your tongue-in-cheek comment demonstrates.

There are 10's of 1000's of G4s on the road, and yet most of the complaints are related to dealership maintenance issues, and those only number in the 100's. True complaints so far total exactly 11! And six of those were from perfectionists.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [QUOTE="William said: There are 10's of 1000's of G4s on the road, and yet most of the complaints are related to dealership maintenance issues, and those only number in the 100's. True complaints so far total exactly 11! And six of those were from perfectionists.

===

Ha! Only 11??? Who are you trying to fool? Certainly not true. I've made 18 complaints just by myself! :ROFLMAO:

Go back and look at all the glitches and complaints about the GEN 4. Months of issues and complaints. And now the Prime guys are chiming in, too.