1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Sunroof leak issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robsnyder20, Feb 26, 2020.

1. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All, I have Been dealing with a slight leak in my sunroof but it has only gotten worse as time progresses. It might have dripped once or twice before 36K and I had a theory that if I opened and closed the sunroof using the slide method it didn't leak but that theory went out the window today. It doesn't seem to leak until making a sharp turn. I checked the drains and they seem to be working well. Anyone have any ideas? I usually keep it garaged so despite living in Florida it isn't left out in the rain all that often. I was hoping someone else might have the same issue or could suggest a fix. Thanks in advance! SunroofLeak.jpg

2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My first thought is the drains, that water isn't draining, and it then runs down when you corner.

Something that can help clean at least the beginning of the drain is a "drinking straw brush."

Good luck.

3. Zachary Solomon

Zachary Solomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hey! I'm having what looks like the same issue. I took my car to the dealership twice and both times they couldn't replicate and basically ignored me and took my money. Did you ever resolve? Many thanks!

4. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not really, it only seems to happen when making a sharp curve or a turn when it is wet. If you check it appears to have basically a 1/4 inch catch pan up there so if braking or turning hard it may cause the water to come out of the area is my guess. I never had any sitting there in my light area before making a turn or something like that so I am thinking that is the reason. First sunroof car by the way.

5. Oldplanman

Oldplanman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Water has been leaking from the sunroof control buttons in my 2016 resulting in mold in the carpet and padding. The dealer immediately said that the 2 drains from the sunroof were clogged probably by leaves or evergreen needles. Replacing the carpet and pad is going to be more than $3,000 so get the leaks corrected. Cleaning the drains is estimated at between $150 and $200.
    I have not seen any information on these drains or inspecting them in the manual. Has anyone else read anything about this?

6. jsrprius

jsrprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am having the same issue (water leaking from moon/ sunroof control buttons). Drains were not the problem for me, though: I poured some water in and they drain fine. (See video 1 below for finding / cleaning drains). See also video 2 if you want to pull the moonroof console off (I did not need to do this)

But if I pour water in the tracks on the sides of the moonroof (rather than the front draining tray), then the water shows up in the same place. I think this suggests that the leak is coming from the side or back of my moonroof gasket (it is leaking while closed). Examining the moonroof from inside with the moonroof closed and a flashlight, I can see some rust on one of the mounting brackets (I had to pull down the rubber "curtain" on the side to see it).

I looked at the moonroof weatherstripping from the outside of the car, and a spot on the back of the moonroof (toward the rear of the car) has peeled up. My guess is that while driving, water is pushed into this gap and then makes its way around the underside of the moonroof to the front and then drips down into the side tracks.

My plan is to use permatex rtv sealant to close the gap (permatex automotive adhesive liquid / silicon rtv)