1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Three Touring speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TimWhi, Apr 16, 2019.

1. TimWhi

TimWhi New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just traded in my 2007 Prius (247K miles!) with the JBL system for a 2016 Three Touring. The sound was acceptable in the 07 (after disconnecting the center dash speaker), but the 2016 sounds like it has a great big bass lump below 150Hz that I can't balance out. Modern recordings are too boomy and older stuff doesn't have enough bass.

To that end, I'd like to start with replacing the speakers and possibly adding an amp later. I was told by Cr*tchfield that the dash and front door speakers are wired in parallel. Has anyone that's added/modified their system verified this? If so, how is the wiring laid out? Do the wires for the front door and dash speakers both terminate at the head unit, or is it head unit to dash, then to door?

I'd like to avoid toasting the head unit or a new amp with an unexpected 2-ohm load.

Thanks!

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For models such as the Three Touring, without the separate amplifier, that’s how it’s shown in Toyota’s Electrical Wiring Diagram and Repair Manual (more info).
    The latter; the No. 1 speaker assemblies in the doors are connected to the No. 2 speaker assemblies in the instrument panel, which are in turn connected to the Navigation Receiver Assembly.

3. TimWhi

TimWhi New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks so much, Elektroingenieur!
    One more point of clarification: Are the factory speakers 4 ohms each presenting a 2 ohm load to the head unit with front door and dash in parallel, OR are they 8 ohm each presenting a 4 ohm load?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Neither. As I posted in another thread (see the last paragraph of #2736127), for cars like ours with the six-speaker system, each speaker has 4 Ω impedance. The Repair Manual confirms that the No. 1 speaker assemblies in the doors should each have a DC resistance of between 3.2 and 4.8 Ω. The No. 2 speaker assemblies supposedly have an internal capacitor, however, so they don’t affect the DC resistance of the parallel combination:
    FrontSpeakerAssembliesRH.png
    Toyota doesn’t tell us the value of this capacitance, nor the expected complex impedance between TWR+ and TWR-; this information isn’t needed for servicing.