1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Toyota Prius Technical & Package Information

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 18, 2015.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny--Good luck with your new car!
    Did you miss any of the safety features by not getting any of the packages? I'm getting to be the age where assistance in not hitting objects may be a good thing. I don't want the sun roof or the 17 inch wheels either, but may put up with one of them if I have to.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    safety features were the driving force for me replacing my Gen 2 with the Gen 4. Wanted all of the safety upgrades I could get.

kgall likes this.
  3. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    In the Four there are some safety features, but not fully. I absolutely didn't want the sun-roof. Had a Jag XJS with it and never used it. I think there's is just enough bells and whistles to keep me busy, plus, I didn't want to spend more than what it came out to as ordered.

dstahre, bisco and kgall like this.
  4. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm careful with my new 4 Touring. I've scraped the nose a couple of times on road/driveway interfaces. No problem with speed bumps so far!

My one surprise was that my loaded 4 Touring doesn't have HUD! Odd, wonder why the omission?

My information is that the 4 Touring does not offer a moonroof, though it's available on the basic 4 with options. I'm guessing that weight was the consideration. I have no need for one myself!

The ground clearance specs for the 4T and basic 4 are the same so I suspect that there is suspension height manipulation also. I suspect that putting the 17" on would also require some rework of the speedometer/odometer!

#144 dstahre, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2016
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm guessing they don't adjust the speedo/odo for 17" models. Our 3rd gen Canadian Touring has 17", similar situation.

I'll kinda eyeball the garmin speed vs car's, while on a highway, and typically the garmin's one or two kilometer lower. In winter when I swap over to 195/65R15 snow tires, I see roughly similar disparity. I suspect it's close enough that Toyota doesn't mess with it.

6. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would expect the opposite situation! The 17" are carrying you farther per revolution so the indicated speed should be lower than the actual!

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The OD of the 215/45R17 is less than 215/45R17. Counterintuitive I know. In other words: the 17's be doing more revolutions than the 15's, at any given speed. The differences are pretty trivial though.

dstahre likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Assuming 100 km/h, you're looking between 1-2% off leading to similar errors in MPG.

Bob Wilson

dstahre likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The wheels are bigger, but the tire profile is shorter, which equals out to about the same tire diameter.
    If you were ordering aftermarket wheels of larger size, it would be referred to as getting size1 or size+1 for 1 inch larger wheels. Throw a 2 or 3 in there for the correspondingly larger wheels. Some tire sites will let you look for a size0, which lets you view wider or narrower than OEM tires.

There is a difference in revolutions per mile between these sizes, but there could be such between different tire models of the same size. The difference is small enough for most to not care to bother with. For the rest, revolutions per mile might be found amoung a specific tire's specs, and there are tire calculators online that can report the error between sizes.

dstahre likes this.