1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 V fog lights

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Prius C One, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Prius C One

Prius C One New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Oh no, not another fog light thread XD

I am just writing this to document what I did (for the newer style V) to equip a V with fog lights. Bumper wise, it already has the proper spots for fog lights. I already had a set of upgraded LED fog lights. I used the same “brackets” that came with them for the Prius C. There were a couple of spots in my bumper that appeared to be intended for screws. I feel that overkill is highly underrated, so I happily used some to make them more secure.

Please note: I did NOT need to change my bumper.The holes are already there in my bumper.

IMHO, it does not make financial sense for Toyota to make several different kinds of bumpers when you can make one bumper that fits every vehicle. I did need to buy a newer lower grille. Here are two things I did when verifying/trying:

1. Bumper with fog light holes. Go to any toyota parts website that takes your vin and get the part number for your bumper. Get the part number and find an image OR, keep that part number and search another car by entering non vin information. Year, model, trim etc. SELECT the same year car and model but with the package you want (pre-collision has fog lights so pre-collision). Compare part numbers. I did both of these methods to double check myself.

2. Fog light brackets. When looking at the mounting holes in the bumper they looked eerily similar to the C. I checked the fog light part number for the C, and the number for the V. My research showed that they were the same. This goes back to my bumper IMHO. Why make 20 different fog lights when you can make one that is interchangeable?

If you want to do this, I thought of two ideas when I was looking at adding fog lights:

1. Buy a lower grille WITH pre-collision. Dealerships will tell you that it does not fit…. I have a trim level three with no pre-collision; it fits. The only difference I found, it has fog light holes (please note, I’m not guaranteeing that it’s going to fit your vehicle; just my personal experience).

2. Put holes in your non pre-collision grille. Not advising this. THIS IS JUST AN IDEA. Do at your own risk should you choose to.

My car needed a lower grill and the pre-collision grille was the exact same price as a grill “without pre-collision…” I bought one with fog light holes already there.

I haven’t researched using an oem fog light switch for my application. I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be compared to the aftermarket kits that are out there. I did not see factory plugs for fog lights while I was putting in the fog lights (i did on my C oddly enough).

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions on the factory switch route? I was going to go aftermarket until I saw some others asking on lower trim level and older cars.

Note for the lower grille; it mainly pushes in; however, it does have four screws as well. So be aware of that when you try to remove it.

Attached Files:

TheTewks and 2015vee like this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wonder if the aftermarket body places are carrying the whatever you're calling the pre-collision grill the part that holds the fog lights usually the aftermarket will pick up just the one but I'm not sure about this stuff here or just model. And the bracketry would make sense universal fog light brackets or well pretty universal If the specially if they're the type that screw right in to the plastic of the bumper and hold like that they should be good for quite a while till that bumper gets smacked around or damaged Good job looks great

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh you're lucky...my wife's 2017 LE doesn't have fog lights or pre-cut holes for them in her grill. (I love them in my 2021 AWD LE)

Since you have the holes, I'm betting Toyota, already, has a fog light kit available. I added them in my 2013 Scion and the kit came with the lights and switch that fit in an empty place on the dash. (It was pre-wired, already.)

Did you get up in there and look to see if there's already wires for adding fog lights? You can look up fog light kits on Toyota websites like McGeorge or Sparks Toyota. (I've emailed Toyota part questions to McGeorge and they are always very quick to help out...provide your VIN for them)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Usually means, even if your car came with the bumper/grille that already has the mounting holes, it came with the bumper wire harness that doesn't have the fog connectors. You can add the wiring and connectors to the harness you've got, or just buy the bumper harness that has them. It's not very expensive. It just connects to the main harness by a plug you find at the driver's front corner when you have the bumper and fender liners loose there.

You probably already have a fog light fuse and relay built into the instrument panel junction block. It'll turn on with the low beams if you supply the signal from a factory fog stalk, and the power will come out on connector 2C terminal 8. You can find other threads with those details.

TheTewks likes this.
  5. Prius C One

Prius C One New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I had to order a grille with holes, and unfortunately I didn’t seem to have wiring

6. Prius C One

Prius C One New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One

Thank you for letting me know!