1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 windshield cracks

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by douglasjre, Mar 4, 2020.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is it true that they crack? What's the fix?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... do a search - there have been many threads already, but in reality, the number which have cracked have been very few.

krmcg likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What has been reported (and experienced by myself) is the 2016+ windshields are made of thinner glass and the slightest rock chip or "star" will spread incredibly fast, ruining the windshield. In my case, I heard a rock hit my glass, but didn't see anything from the driver's position. Went home, forgot to check for a "star" and next morning had a nice 15 inch long crack along the bottom of the glass. Turns out the rock had hit the bottom of the glass in the area that is below the front dash line, and has a black background if looking from the outside. So it would be hard to see unless looking very closely. Still, I would have had to take the glass immediately to have the star repaired since the crack appeared overnight in the garage. The fix: get a new windshield installed!

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend in Mississippi has a Gen 4 and has replaced his windshield three times. All due to stone hit on a gravel road he often had to drive. On the other hand, a trailer tire exploded in front of me on the interstate and it just bounced off my Prime's windshield. Go figure.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What? Glass cracks? Who'd a thunk......

:p

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No fix. Just replace windshield. I suggest anyone with Gen4 or PRIME to carry no-deductible glass coverage on insurance policy. I actually have no-deductible comprehensive plan which cost me no more than $10/year compared to usual $500 deductible plan.

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My 2017 Eco has taken a deflecting hit from a small sized pebble. No damage.