1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 brake noise

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mmbrenda, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    There is no click and no light.

Depending on the degree of the incline, sometimes the car will pull away as if you had just let off the brakes with no resistance, but more steep inclines you can feel the brakes releasing. Maybe the lesser inclines are held by the transmission rather than the brakes?

As already mentioned, its only for a few seconds. I haven't times how long it lasts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anyone have the o/m detail?

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It doesn't beep. I'm not sure, but I don't think there's a light on the dash, I'll take a look next time I use it.

RCO and bisco like this.
  4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It's just listed under "Driving assist functions" a list of functions that operate automatically in certain driving conditions and is described as "helps to reduce the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on a uphill".

RCO and bisco like this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't beep, there's no light indication and it doesn't work of you're facing downhill.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We finally get to see your Prius :)!

Nice color choice BTW(y).

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so... it is not the source of op's concern?

RCO and kithmo like this.
  8. mmbrenda

mmbrenda New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not in any kind of hilly area honestly. Pretty flat Florida roads and no extra lights or anything from me. Also, I suppose my initial "super loud click" was a bit dramatic lol I guess it's really more of a creaking.

I'm really new to this whole regen braking thing so I'll have to read up more on that to know more. In case that could be it as mentioned previously.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried cleaning rust off of the discs by putting it in neutral on a quiet road around 30 mph and slowly applying the brakes?

10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    TBH, I can't say I've ever had a car with front disc brakes that didn't creak at low speed. I've always took it as normal for them to creak a little as the pads break contact, usually amplified by the suspension on McPherson struts.

RCO likes this.
  11. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Mine makes quite an audible click when I take the car out of the garage and apply lock, but I never hear it again during the day. I guess its everything settling overnight.

RCO likes this.
  12. Just.Drive.It.

Just.Drive.It. New Member

Here, There, Everywhere. Driving my Prius!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My Prius makes more noise than a washing machine full of marbles! All kinds of weird clicks & clunks. The brakes are the strangest part of the car. Every day is different. Some days they are very mushy, and other days they throw you into the dashboard! I can't figure this car out! So I quit trying. As long as this crazy machine gets me from point A to point B with 55 mpg, I'm good.

I turn up the radio and I just drive it.:LOL:

#32 Just.Drive.It., Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  13. Marcius

Marcius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    When braking at slow speeds my front brakes, maybe just the driver's side, makes a lite, but noticeable bop, bop, bop noise until I come to a complete stop. I tried braking in neutral, assuming it would isolate my pads/rotors, but the sound does not happen then. So, probably the regen braking is making the noise? Also, I noticed the steering wheel shaking when slowing on long hilly roads at high speed -- I've had that before on other cars, and it feels like the rotors are warped. I think I need one more test -- long high speed downhill in neutral.

14. donroyledbetter

donroyledbetter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brakes make horrible clunking screeching sound at the moment before complete stop and on release of pedal.
    Any one here with the same problem? A solution?

This is my first post to PriusChat.
    You can hear the noise on YouTube by searching: @toyotafrenirumorosiscricch2355

The noise started shortly after 7/21 new car purchase and has continued for 20K since. Has been to the dealer EIGHT times: they checked, they inquired to Toyota, they lubricated, they changed discs and pads, they reprogrammed a couple times. no change. We have appealed to Toyota Europe several times, they refer us back to the dealer who does not seem to care and points the finger at Toyota. The last reply from Toyota Europe was a patronizing: "The noise is caused by friction".

I was very happy with my first new 2010 Prius, this one has been a total disappointment. That Toyota PR about relaxing warranty is BS.

15. Marcius

Marcius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    We still have braking noise as I mentioned in an earlier post. I heard from a random mechanic on youtube (go ahead and make fun, but no one including the dealer has a solution) that the anti-squeal plates on the brakes are actually causing noise. (The plates don't sit right, or something.) They said to eliminate the plates, then the noise will go away. I haven't done this yet, but I'm considering it.

16. coeurdelion

coeurdelion New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Luxury
    I also have some clac clac noises breaking sometimes for as long as I can remember on a 2017, I have no idea what it is but I assumed it was something due to the hybrid system, maybe regenerative.