1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by sdtundra, Jan 11, 2016.

1. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota hasn't done the hybrid mini van for the US because the models they have in Japan are too small for US buyers.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ugh, i wouldn't go near a regular chrysler, never mind a hybrid. should be interesting!:rolleyes:

(disclaimer: i own a 2005 dodge dakota, and have had several chrysler mini vans over the last 30 years.)

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If Chrysler can put this van out with Toyota like quality and a good warranty I think it will be a big hit. Chrysler's challenge is to convince people they can produce this van with reliability and quality and have knowledgeably mechanics that can take care of them. Something Toyota did when the Prius first came out.

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It will come down to price. Combine Chrysler and Dodge sales, and FCA is number one in minivans. So there is plenty of potential customers there already; not counting those buyers of other brands that have been waiting for a hybrid minivan.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid Minivan To Get 30 Miles EV Range

. . .
    Distinguishing the plug-in Pacifica is a 16-kwh battery under the second-row floor that can be recharged in as little as two hours with 240-volt current. This is mated to a unique powertrain centered around 3.6-liter Atkinson Cycle Pentastar V6.

City all-electric efficiency is estimated at 80 MPGe, but combined gas-plus-electric or hybrid-mode-only mpg is not known for the 248-horsepower family hauler.
    . . .

At last!

Now I'm not fond of them eliminating the cooled EGR but they may get a clue soon enough.

Now if the Prius v replaced the rear doors with sliding panels, making it a proper miniVAN, problem solved.

Bob Wilson

inferno and sdtundra like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    quality problem solved, at least. i wouldn't touch a chrysler hybrid until at least 5 years under their belt. good luck to the beta testers.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I won't touch Ford and GM either...as it applies.

#8 frodoz737, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Okinawa likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would test drive the Pacifica . . . if it shows up anywhere within 120 miles of Huntsville.

We a Caravan that eventually developed a cylinder head leak about the same time the head liner fell. So we let it go but it was perfect for our life back then.

I took out the rear seats and welded up a frame to hold a folding bench, bed. It was high enough luggage and stuff could fill below. As a bed, it wasn't great but we did sleep on it. In many respects, an American version of a microBus, the first car I bought.

Bob Wilson

10. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FCA thinks they can duplicate the success of their original Mini Van which was the template for other car makers to make the same or better. But the original Pacifica was a fail and this one will probably follow in its footsteps. As always fanboyz get their underwear in a bind and leap at the PR. Which you should know by now is; BS. Chrysler has not been noted for their success as of lately as a company so let that be a lesson until they do otherwise. Even FCA idea to merge with GM was rejected.

sdtundra likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only other hybrid miniVAN is the Estima and something called an Alphard which I understand are Japanese-only. There have been some scattered reports of UK sales too.

If the Prius v had sliding rear doors instead of hinged, I'd take another look at it. But hinged rear doors are a show stopper. My mobility impaired wife needs the wide opening for her assistance wheel chair and mobility machines.

To me, it looks like a purpose built, plug-in hybrid. In particular, the batteries are not consuming interior space:

• Need details about the engine
    • Need details about the transmission
    • Need details about the control laws (i.e., can engine warm-up under EV power?)
    Bob Wilson

#11 bwilson4web, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smart move by Chrysler. I second the sediment about the reliability and mechanics knowing how to work on a hybrid. It is my opinion that hybrids are the nex-gen for the automobile with other off-shoots (hydrogen, full electric) trying to make its niche in the market. I need to see their mini-van get up to 200,000 miles with minimal issues for it to be a winner for me. I am afraid to try their minivan due to prior issues I have had with Dodge, Chrysler, Ford, Mercury, GMC and Chevy vehicles. Lots of issues at 40,000 miles and trying to sell them at 60,000 miles.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish them success. but i believe it will be a long hard slog, and i hope they stick with it. i spent enough time in chrysler dealerships waiting for warranty work. i'm too old to waste more time.

14. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Video is good but then why would they have a bad video eh? Good they retained the Sto-N-Go seating which was quite impressive in its debut when it came out. The rest of the electronics hope it does not experience the same like the early Ford system which bombed totally,
    I guess we will see....

15. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I read somewhere else the Hybrid loses the stow n go for the batteries

16. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Playing back the video I stand corrected as the spokewoman says the stow-n-go is featured but the hybrid version will replace the stow-n-go seating design. So you are right.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Never had the 'stow-and-go' so no loss. Rather, I like the internal volume that means we should be able to take out the rear seats and make the interior a mini-RV. Better still, find replacement seats that fully recline making a bed with under seat storage. Hummm, may be a business opportunity.

Bob Wilson

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In on of the earlier linked articles, it is stated the battery takes up the space of the middle Stow-n-go, but it retains the rear ones.

19. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

FIAT - instead of "FIx it again Tony"
    may mean
    Fix it Again TANAKA-San!

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes pretty cool, I see now. I have owned 4 Dodge Caravans/Voyagers...right now we have a 2009 VW Routan got during C4C program it's a Dodge Caravan with VW badge. Wonder why they are calling the hybrid Pacifica?

Anyways VW was not allowed to use the Stow and Go seats so I have a huge storage space down there which is handy in vacation mode. Hate to lose the space but heck yeah there is a lot of space there for batteries.

My van eats brake rotors for lunch but regen braking should help that.

I should get a loyalty discount. Reason we got the Prius I felt with 2 Caravans we were too vulnerable to gaso price spikes.

#20 wjtracy, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    bwilson4web likes this.