1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius 2 that needs satellite radio

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by James Hallford, Nov 19, 2017.

1. James Hallford

James Hallford New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to say thanks before anything. My wife recently bought a 2017 Prius 2. She drives at least 150 miles every day and enjoys her satellite radio. We didn't realize until we left the lot that it didn't have the satellite radio option. So, from my research, upgrading radios to the entune premium radio is expensive and not guaranteed to work.

So, XM radio sent us a free external receiver with antenna. I am wondering if anyone out there has done a great install on one their Prius. My wife wants the satellite radio but doesn't want to see the wires. So, I am trying to copy someone's excellent work. She is going out of town in a couple weeks so I am looking to surprise her when she gets home. Thanks again for the help.

RCO likes this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I can't help you with that as we have a different system in UK, but hang around a while and somebody will come back with ideas. Just the same, welcome to Prius Chat.(y)

3. chloedog

chloedog New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Download the SiriusXM mobile app and stream through Bluetooth. Consider purchasing a McCalley Cup holder phone holder (sold on amazon) to allow the phone to be easily accessible (but don't look at it while driving ...) This allows you to stream all of XM Radio's content via bluetooth and the song names show up on the radio.

Lucifer, CoolPrius and RCO like this.
  4. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's a bad value, I would think. Might as well use Pandora or some other streaming service, which have better programming. The beauty of satellite radio is that the signal is rarely interrupted like cell phone signal is when out in rural areas. If you don't have the satellite radio, it's not worth it.

5. chloedog

chloedog New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mikedee - I fully agree with what you stated above ... just thinking outside the box.

Today I installed a dash cam - had to run power from the rear 12v lighter outlet in the back of the center console to the windshield. It was surprisingly easy to route the cable and hide it all the way through. You could do the same with your sat receiver wiring. There is an audio input in the center console next to the USB port. You need to run 3 wires from the xmradio receiver. I would see if you can mount the sat antenna inside of the car - it is risky running the wire through the door gaskets or rear hatch gasket (it will cause water leaks if you don’t apply silicone and the sharp metal will cut the wire eventually ....)

Robert Guertin and RCO like this.
  6. LoriP73

LoriP73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2017 Prius Touring HAS Satellite radio, but it KEEPS CUTTING OUT when I'm in "the BIG city". Have had the car into the shop TWICE to resolve the problem. Neither time was the problem fixed. Hubby got a hold of SiriusXM and told them of the problem with my car, their solution was to install one of their own radios and antenna. We qualified for a freebie, and hubby installed it one day while I was at work. You can not see the wires at all. He tucked them all into the moulding inside the car. The only wires I see are the ones that go from the power supply to the radio, and the TINY BIT that comes up out of the top of the hatch to the roof where the SirusXM antenna is. He also tucked the majority of the wiring under the passenger seat.

I no longer have ANY problems with signal cutting out in the big city either. Obviously I have a mega problem with the radio itself.

Hope this helps.

Lori P

Infamous6i9, CoolPrius and RCO like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good ideas and Welcome to Prius Chat. (y)

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm surprised it works that well. Satellite signal is basically line of sight. If a building or a bridge gets in the way of the signal, the radio cuts out. The radio should have a buffer that caches the data.

CoolPrius likes this.
  9. Infamous6i9

Infamous6i9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you post a picture where your antenna is located. I have a prius 2 so I had to get a standalone prius but I placed the antenna on the dash board

10. LoriP73

LoriP73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hubby installed the antenna to the right of the shark fin.

Attached Files:

Infamous6i9 likes this.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If the wife wants XM......I like the download the app and use the phone, no getting into the back of the multi function display and plugging, unplugging anything, get an XM gizmo for the home, she'll love it, run the car with an app, win-win, and.....Pandora works on the phone, and it's free, much more programable, for other drivers in the car;)

Infamous6i9 and RCO like this.
  12. Infamous6i9

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where did you mount the Sirius Radio can I see pictures

13. Infamous6i9

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finally did mine right. Use to have it on my dash but would lose reception most of the time.. now when I put it on the roof I will rarely lose reception. I cleaned out my wires was thinking of using double side tape and placing the antenna behind the sharks in for a cleaner look but was worried it will eventually fall off so I just placed it on the side and tucked in the wires 20180228_131609.jpg 20180228_123038.jpg

Robert Guertin and RCO like this.
  14. Janaheim

Janaheim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just bought my Prius 2 yesterday. I knew it didn't have satellite radio. My previous car, a Hyundai Elantra, did. Today, I called SiriusXM and told them I no longer had the Elantra but was interested in the streaming service only. They offered me a 6-month promotional for $35. I thought that was pretty good so I bought it. I have an iPhone 6 plus which easily connects to the USB port or you can use Bluetooth streaming. You'll need the SiriusXM app, which is free. I don't think Android phones work on the USB port, but Bluetooth streaming works I'm sure. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

John

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news! Welcome to Prius Chat and congratulations on your new car. (y)(y)

Janaheim likes this.
  16. Janaheim

Janaheim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you.

RCO likes this.