1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius 3 Cruse Control/ Dynamic Cruise Control Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RemyMM, Feb 5, 2020.

1. RemyMM

RemyMM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased a Prius in August 2017 for the sole purpose of driving to another state to care for my elderly mother, usually once a month. It is 1500+ miles round trip. I drive straight through each way. Shortly after I purchased the prius, the cruise control would stop working. It happens on a new leg (either when I started off or stopped for gas and started up again). The only way to fix it is to pull over to the side, turn off the car and wait several minutes before I started it up again. This happened intermittently -- approximately once per trip. Last November it did not work to stop once. I had to stop twice to reset the car.
    Additionally last November, the dynamic cruise control stopped working in the middle of one of the "legs". I was going very fast (not braking) and almost smashed into the car in front of me as I kept waiting for it to kick in. It never did. This happened again in December. Again only once per trip.
    I have brought the car in several times and Toyota refuses to fix it. They cannot replicate it. Of course they cannot replicate it. They need to drive 750 or 1500 miles for it to happen!
    ToyotaCare refuses to fix it also.
    I bought a 5 year 50k mile warranty (and am at 35k miles) because the Toyota sales person told me there was a lot of electronic stuff in the car that can go wrong and I don't want to be responsible for fixing it. I never buy these warranties, but I wanted to be safe.
    I am very frustrated. I own two older cars that would not be safe to make this trip. I purchased this car new for safety reasons only. And I am not safe in it.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. The techs at my local Toyota don't have a clue.

Thank you

2. SLC1HobeSound

SLC1HobeSound New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a loaded 2017 Prius 4 I purchased new and now has over 54,000 miles. I have had no problems until this past weekend. I was on the highway with cruise set to about 73, and it turned off by itself. I tried to turn it back on, but upon pressing down the lever to set the speed, it displayed Cruise Control Not Available. Also showed a yellow alert triangle icon. Repeated attempts failed to resolve. Making sure front emblem was clean and bumper sensors were clean, and windshield especially at camera were all clean, still did not resolve. I tried it with the Dynamic radar feature turned off as well, no luck. Took it to my Toyota dealer yesterday. I agreed to a $99 diagnostic charge. I waited over 4 hours while they checked what ever they could and road tested it several times, but issue persisted. They said there were no fault codes appearing when they scanned it, no technical bullitens on this issue, and had no idea how to resolve. Now they want me to bring it back tomorrow for more diagnostics for additional diagnostic charges, and expect me to pay again to troubleshoot.

Anyone ever heard of this happening, and what did it turn out to be?