1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius decisions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by nottenst, Feb 2, 2017.

1. nottenst

nottenst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius and I'm thinking of moving to a 2017 one. Looking on the Toyota site I see the various Prius 2, Prius 3, Prius 3 Touring, Prius 4, Prius 4 Touring models. I was wondering whether the different additions going from one model to the next are worth the increased prices. What do people like the most? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems to be a pretty wide array. not sure if there's a 'most', but the 2 is an incredible value. after that, it just depends on if there's anything in particular that you are willing to pay for. the power drivers seat is a nice bit. and then, there's the question of whether you want a spare tyre or not, and if you like your hatch deck higher or lower than the folded seats.

all the best with your decision.(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a summary of the US levels here:

Visual Tables of Gen4 Package Combinations | PriusChat

Only thing, in 2017 I think some features that were not in level 2 have migrated down. Radar cruise, proximity sensors? @Prodigyplace has a good grasp of that, he may comment.

The one thing that I'd miss on level 2 would be smart touch entry on both front doors and hatch, it's only driver's door I think.

A few gotchas that may be of interest:

1. Temp spare is deleted on certain upscale levels.
    2. 2Eco deletes rear wiper (and spare).
    3. Level 2 has less of the gloss white interior trim, not completely gone though?
    4. All levels have some sort of plastic in the wheels: full covers on 15", 5 individual pieces on the 17".

RCO and nottenst like this.
  4. nottenst

nottenst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, instead of a small compressed spare it has a repair kit? What is that? Is there some reasoning behind that change?

Of course, in my years of driving anything I believe I have only used the spare tire once or twice. [Found some threads discussing the spare or lack of spare, so no need to go into that here.]

Thanks for the visual table link.

#4 nottenst, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it saves weight. and cash, for toyota.

the repair kit contains a bottle of flat sealing goop. the compressor hose has a special fitting that attaches to the goop, then a hose from the goop to the shrader valve. it applies the goop and pumps up the tyre at the same time.
    you also get a jack, cause you have to take the weight off the wheel to use the kit.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main things with the 2017 are that:
    1.the TSS-P safety features are available and standard across all trim levels. I wanted the safety features and a spare tire. For 2016 I would have to bought a trim 3 with an optional package.
    2. The headlights have been redesigned to reduce glare and improve IIHS test results.

On the trim 2 (& 2 ECO, I think) the console is a matte black color instead of the "white china" appearance.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As Toyota adds weight in options, they need to lose weight somewhere to stay in the same MPG rating. this is similar to Gen 3 , where you could not get the sunroof and all the options, both.

For gen 4, the spare was where they chose to lose weight.

nottenst likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are threads for cutting out the offending foam filler, and fitting a spare.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is also why you cannot get a sunroof on the Touring trims that have the heavier 17" wheels.

#9 Prodigyplace, Feb 2, 2017
  10. nottenst

nottenst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading a thread about the spare tire and the Visual Table thread, I am very reluctant to go without that spare tire and trying to fit in another probably won't work for us either. I'll have to discuss it all with my wife, but I can just hear her incredulity about driving without a spare.

So, probably will need to decide between 2, 3 or 3 with ATP.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, same here.;)

12. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been driving for 37 years, averaging 18,000 miles per year, and I've had 1 tire issue on the highway. That was a nail leading to a slow flat, so I drove to a tire shop and had them plug it.

In today's world with cell phones, AAA service, Toyota Safety Connect, etc help is a few minutes away. Or maybe you have been driving 38 years, or live waaaaay out in the boonies.

Ditching the spare tire makes a lot of sense to me.

#12 tucatz, Feb 2, 2017
    iamvietdang likes this.
  13. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    While we're at it, why not remove all of that repair kit stuff, trim down the styrofoam filler another 6", and put a prepaid card for AAA plus new tire in the boot. Would cost toyota minimal $$ and give the car so much more truck space.

I'm for trimming as much fat off a car as possible. Remove that silly rear wiper. Take out the extra headrests. Shave the exterior profile down wherever possible. (I think toyota did this; look at the difference in the rear end of gen 3 and gen 4 styling). I'm always baffled by all the extra cladding plastered onto the sides of GM trucks.. think Avalanche.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see you are in Maryland. If you are close to the D.C. area try calling Sam Lee at Miller Toyota. He knows Prius and still drives his Gen 1. Tell him Bruce sent you.

15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I'm not in favour of NO SPARE, though I guess it depends on where you drive. We had a few work cars which never strayed more than a suburb or 2 from base and had no spare tyre - but I'd have never taken them on a longer trip.

You can find some of my other posts where I would have been well and truly stranded with only a temporary spare tyre. I've plans to drive around Australia in mine, and that will involve some very remote locations, unsealed roads - I'll be adding a REAL spare as well as the temporary.

bisco likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like there is currently $1250 cash back on the 2017 Prius.

17. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    $1250 is more than enough $$ to buy a spare tire, electric pump, generator, and prepaid cell phone. I think the original OP lives in Maryland. Just look at a satellite view of the eastern seaboard area night from space. Probably the most brightly lit area on earth. You are safe. Go for it. If you're still uneasy google tow truck (my location) if you did get a flat would you yourself get out and fix it, or call the mechanic? Buy the car no spare. Be brave.

#17 tucatz, Feb 2, 2017
  18. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  19. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Time to give it up. I know, it hurts at first, like buying a laptop without a hard drive. But you soon realize you didn't need it any longer, and really like the cool quiet of gliding efficiently over.... wherever.

20. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    16 Prius 4 owner here. Got a left over model in December. Have the adaptive cruise control and really like it and sunroof. The nav does nothing for me. If u r ok with lower price end base 17 model u get the safety features plus save money. What about the new Kia SUV hybrid or new Honda Accord hybrid? Just a thought.
    I like the power seats, would have liked leather but the fake thing is bearable. HUD is not really anything special at all to me. If u r near a car max let them make u an offer so u have a figure then go to at least dealers to get best deal.

Know the color u want and interior combo, all were off shades to me so ended up with black for the first time due to that fact. Others feel different on that point I realize, mine is green and like the color. Get rubber door end guards, maybe side door guards. I feel Toyota paint is very cheap and not hard at all now days.

Consider the clean coat film package though feel better if from the factory not installed at dealer. Try not to buy were they tack on that stupid $599 or $699 Toyota guard package. Just another way for the dealer to make extra money off you...as they did off me lol.
    Best of luck