1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Prime Front Left/Right Bumper Removal

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by agrajag85, Oct 7, 2017.

1. agrajag85

agrajag85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone attempted to remove the front left or right bumper covers? Part # 5211347901

I was wondering if there are clips hidden; I don't want to break them.

3000 miles in on my Prime, driving in LA traffic, grit and dirt are clogging up around the left/right blinker lights. Want to remove to clean them; it seems to be a bad design as it just creates a funnel for dirt, tar, sludge, etc. to collect.

2. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have not tried on my prime yet but I have removed the bumper covers on previous gen Prii. In my experience, they are not designed to be removed and although you can, each time you do, it seems to never quite get back together as solidly as before. The clips do not hold as well as the previous time they were attached. With interior panels, you can replace the plastic snaps and often get a solid seal but the exterior panels usually have some built-in attachment points that stretch or just don't align as well. Again, have not tried on a prime yet.

Maybe with experience you could achieve repeatable no-harm removal and re-installation but my experience is that I run a high risk of doing more harm than good and reserve removal of that type of stuff to when I have no other choice (like when I needed to replace the sensors).

3. wzakaras

wzakaras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    FWIW, the alldata guide, i will look at the TIS as well, shows the grille, both side bumper covers and the top "filler panel" coming off as one piece. 1. remove the rqadiaor top protector (7 pushpins) 2. remove the scres & pushpins from the filler panel 3.remove the wheel well screws & pins on both sides 4. remove the 10 screws from the bottom of the grille. the entire front comes off. from there you can detach and work on individual parts. the six (?) sonar sensors likely need to be detached 2 on each bumper cover and 2 on the grille. the bumper cover retainers are not reusable.
    Please feel free to offer any corrections to my understanding

4. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    wzakaras' info is correct.

I just did this on my 2020 Prius Prime and initially approached removing and replacing a damaged right front fender (the section with the parking lights) but wzakaras' post and this video on an older (2017) Prius got me going again after it was obvious that there was no way to remove just the damaged panel.

One of the big issues for me was disconnecting the electrical connectors... I don't see how mere mortals and do it just using hands and fingers.

Thanks,
    Beverly Howard

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes tip of a screwdriver pried under the the locking mechanism helps. I've found a few instances where a pen knife blade is indispensible, the #!&* AC connector on third gen in particular.