1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Prime Premium - Possible Oil Leak?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fearless Flyer, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Fearless Flyer

Fearless Flyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello,
    I have '17 Prime Premium (Purchased April 2018) with 39K and I'm recently finding small leaks/drips on the garage floor immediately in front of the front passenger-side wheel well.

There's a smail splash cover underneath and directly in front of that fender and it's coated with a clear oil, only that small cover, not the main underbody splash covers. It's not roadside/road splash as I've cleaned that small splash pan underneath and the oil coating has reappeared after ICE engine use.

Looking down into the engine compartment on the passenger side I don't see any sign of wetness/leak yet small leaks appear below the parked car after (rarerly} running the (ICE)engine.

Any other 2017 Prius/Prime owners have similar issue? You start thinking it might be coming from the timing belt cover on that right side but. gee, there's no sign of oil dispersing anywhere in that area of the engine compartment.

I'm guessing if it was indeed the timing chain cover gasket that would be covered under warranty as the car was purchased 58 months ago and the powertrain warranty is 60 months/60K Miles.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

2. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Are any of your fluid reservoirs low? Coolant, brake fluid, oil? I'd start there

It could be condensation from the AC. The water can pick up road dirt and tire dust giving it a weird color.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Only thing I know there is the wiper fluid lines, also brake lines are run to the wheel…

4. Fearless Flyer

Fearless Flyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Update: It's a leak related to the AC Condenser. It wasn't engine oil, it is AC Condenser Fluid dripping from the AC Condenser lines into some sort of Accumulator/Box directly above the right front wheel well. Mechanic says it's not the AC Condenser itself, likely some seals at that accumulator/box that the line runs into. I had my doubts about it being engine oil as it was a clear, clean, thinner density.

Called the Toyota Dealer, and nope, probably not covered under warranty as AC Components are a 3yr/36k warranty vs. powertrain 5yr/60k warranty.

Dealer was surprised of this type of failure at 39K, but, I rarely use AC or Heat if I can help it to extend EV range. Maybe seals drying from lack of use? I'll update further once my mechanic gets into the actual repair. Dang, should have taken a quick picture when they had it up on lift!

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    "condenser fluid" is water condensed from the air blown through the box. Dew collected from humid air, the droplets gathered and then being drained off.

This is a normal function of that system, and the location you describe is right where the drain tube normally drops it.
    You will find this more or less anytime the HVAC removes moisture from the air (set to either a cooling mode or front window defrost)

There can be issues with the upper connection of the drain tube to the air box, but hopefully you're just seeing ordinary drainage.

We get a lot of threads like this when people use their air conditioners more in the spring.

6. Optiker

Optiker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    The system is not a normal AC unit, but a pretty complex heat pump system. It uses a special nonconductive oil because of the electric compressor. The Car Care Nut strongly recommends that it only be serviced by a qualified Toyota dealer, and not all dealers have the qualification necessary to service the heat pump system. Watch the Car Care Nut video on the world's second most complex car HVAC system.