1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Prime -- Too Much Technology?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by RichieRich, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. On cars without the rain sensing wipers, it’s the intermittent speed adjustment.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I wonder if we've progressed, on car security. A single replacement fob is at least $300 through dealership; lose both and, well: don't ask. And what have we got to show for this, vs the old $5 cut-another-key at the shoe repair place?

I've got a couple of Canon EOS digital camera bodies: a 5D MK I, and MK III. With the MK I, I've got enough brain cells to adjust/set most anything. It has menus, but not overly complex, and I can remember enough to get around. With the MK III, I'm lost without the manual at hand; it's just too damn involved.

scona likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... you test drove an advanced a year ago, then purchased a prime without knowing which model it was?

and you think it somehow might have been bait and switch?(n)

4. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On valid point the OP made was the burden on the dealership in educating the new owner on the car's features. In my case, the sales person knew virtually nothing about the Prime. It was the first one the dealer had sold and apparently no effort had been made to educate either the sellers or the buyers. The dealership was about 50 miles from home, so I never went back there. I have received most of my education on the car from this forum. Next week I will have had the car for two years.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought objective of PriusChat was educate yourself and educate dealerships anything and everything about PRIUS. lol:ROFLMAO:

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe Toyota should have someone, looking to make the cars more intuitive, simplify the controls, make them more ergonomic and eyes-on-the road. The manual is what 700~800 pages, and you need a course to drive the thing?

I keep looking in on @jerrymildred, with his two threads, on getting to know his new Prime. I'd say he's one of the sharper knives in the block, and he's scratching his head a fair bit, having daily questions and "discoveries".

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <sigh> millennials...

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL!! That reminds me. I have a new question to put in that thread. Not significant, but I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to knowing how my stuff works. I've disassembled more than a couple purchases to look inside and see what makes them tick. :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car theft is down - that’s what we have to show. Now it’s mostly B&E for laptops.

Back then, you have to install an aftermarket engine immobiliser. It was $200 to install a fob-based one for our Corolla (which did not have keyless entry). It got the most discount from insurance because it was invisible other than the red blinking light and a thief wouldn’t know where the receiver was placed.

kevin.c and Mendel Leisk like this.