1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Prime with $15,000 rodent damage!?!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by storm petrol, Jan 6, 2023.

1. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello,

Our vehicle issued charging and hybrid system malfunctions so we took it to the dealership.

We have massive amounts of mouse-nest material on top of the traction battery and its connections. There has been chewing on the high-voltage cable that connects the battery to the system.

From the dealership's communication with our insurance agent:

"Good morning! I have received the numbers for the cost to repair Mr. Palmer's Prius. My manager gave them to me this morning.

The hybrid battery will need to be replaced as the orange and white wire that I sent you a photo of was pierced through the insolation. This is a high voltage cable and 1200volts run trough it so it does need to be replaced Unfortunately there are none available to order for his vehicle, so I cannot even get a battery sadly. Toyota does not offer the cable as it's own piece, it only comes with the hybrid battery.

Final Numbers:
    Diagnostic (we spent roughly 2 hours): $276.95+tax
    Battery: $12,572+tax
    Remove and Replace: $632.95+tax
    Cleaning and Sanitizing: $128.95+tax
    Grand Total: $13,610.85+tax or $14,699.72 (Tax included)"

In other words, the dealership says that this cable is integral to the battery--the cable only cannot be replaced. Therefore, supposedly, the *entire* battery must be replaced to replace the cable (but there are no batteries available in the USA)! Total bill to cover everything related to the battery, from assessment and disinfection to replacement, is approaching of $15k!

In addition, there are also mouse nests in the engine compartment which they have not yet addressed.

Any advice and feedback is welcome!

Thanks!!!

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Electrical wire insulation used to be poison to rodents. The EPA forced the industry to make insulation rodent food now. So rodents are drawn to it, to eat it.

Your car is totaled.

Get your insurance to give you what they can, and buy a new one.

storm petrol likes this.
  3. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Before I’d accept this situation, especially if you’d have to pay the repair cost or a substantial part of it, I’d suggest asking the dealer to open a case with Toyota’s Technical Assistance System (TAS), the dealer-only support line, to confirm their identification of the wiring involved, and to make certain that the wire harness isn’t sold separately and can’t be repaired. If not, both you and the dealer should ask Toyota if the wire harness could be established as a service part, especially if the HV battery assembly isn’t even available.

According to catalog Figure 82-01, Battery & Battery Cable, one of the HV battery wire harnesses—the No. 1 Hybrid Battery Pack Wire, part number G92X1-47031, shown in the first image with part name code G92X1—is available as a service part, but the second image shows a second harness with note N03, “This part is not supplied as an individual part because it is difficult to keep the function/quality of part assembled.”

Could you share any photos of the damaged area?

[Edited to add:]
    It’s true that Toyota writes in the Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info) that “repairs are not possible” for orange “high voltage” wiring, and bulletin T-SB-0003-22, “Wire Harness Repair or Replacement Guide” (PDF), January 28, 2022, recommends against such repairs, but I’m not sure where the dealer got “1200 volts.” New Car Features says the maximum system voltage is 600 V, and that’s for MG1, MG2, and the inverter, up in the engine compartment; for the HV battery itself, the nominal voltage is 351.5 V.

#4 Elektroingenieur, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    storm petrol and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks so much, Elektroingenie! Trying some pics...
    Additional information welcomed!

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.07.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.08.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.08.23 PM.png

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Prius Prime battery does not cost $15k. It is $5k tops.

storm petrol likes this.
  7. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They are saying the batt. costs $12,572.

Can you please provide a reference for your price quote?

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Have you tried luring the mice out with some non-binary cheese?

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It might be unavailable due to supply-chain problems. Toyota probably wants to assemble all new batteries they have into new cars.

https://parts.culvercitytoyota.com/productdetails.aspx?makeName=toyota&modelYear=2022&modelName=prius-prime&stockNumber=g92800r012we&ukey_product=94382663&referer=parts.toyota.com&machineIDT1=miafqxkgfslcr2hmg3syqk4i

You can also get a used one from eBay or a junkyard for about $1,000.

storm petrol likes this.
  10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The linked part number (G9280-0R012) is for a RAV4 EV, not for any Prius model. The service part number for the HV supply battery assembly for all Prius Prime cars is G9510-47180 (which superseded G9510-47140 for model years 2017–2018), as shown in Figure 82-01, Battery & Battery Cable.

On parts.toyota.com, that part is listed as “Product Not Available,” which might or might not be true. Several dealers’ catalogs say the list price is $9,980, but that just comes from Toyota’s price file; it doesn’t imply that those dealers, or any others, would be able to fill an order for one within a reasonable time or at all.
    You’re welcome, and thanks for the photos.

The most reliable repair would be to replace any damaged wire harnesses with new ones, and I’d still suggest escalating with the dealer and with Toyota, as described above.

If that isn’t fruitful, before you take a substantial loss, consider used wire harnesses. Point out to the insurance adjuster that a little effort might greatly reduce their loss; perhaps their company has just taken salvage on a similar vehicle, or their network of junkyards and repair shops might be able to locate one, from which the needed harnesses could be extracted in good condition. You’d want any used harness to come from a car on which the HV battery case hadn’t been breached, flooded, or contaminated with firefighting agents or other substances, and the harness should be inspected visually and, as practicable, using a megohmmeter.

From the damage seen in your photos, it’s also not clear to me that the existing harnesses are beyond careful repair. I don’t mean to suggest just putting on a few wraps of Super 33+ and calling it done—although I’ve seen worse, at higher voltages—but if the damage is limited to the corrugated tubing, or to bite indentations that didn’t pierce the insulation or damage the inner, metallic conductors, it might well be feasible to apply methods used in industry for repair of 480-volt wiring. I haven’t seen the damage firsthand, so I can’t make a specific recommendation, but just as an example, look at 3M’s wide array of heat-shrink tubing.

storm petrol likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is $4.3k at Amayama, but I don't know how much they would charge for shipping.

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/g951047180

$10k sounds too high. MSRP could be more than twice the dealer's invoice.

storm petrol likes this.
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This looks like an insurance claim to me.

daisy555 and BiomedO1 like this.
  13. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ca Ching; looks like a dealer payday to me. As stated by others earlier, an entire used battery pack may be purchased for <$1K and the necessary parts ripped out of it to repair your pack - leaving you a bunch of spare parts and batteries. While not new, it's the quickest way to get you back on the road again. Wires don't fail, unless damaged.
    Those pictures looks like scratches on the wire; did they actually get all the way down to the copper wire itself? Your talking to a person that used to actually dug dead rats/mice out of backup UPS units. Body touching the case and tooth still embedded in the wire where they bit through the insulation. We're talking about giant floor safe size UPS that use group 27 automotive batteries in a computer controlled parallel/serial configuration, depending on power demands. Their front and rear paws touching the wrong two points and they become toast.
    Perhaps the mechanic there what's you to buy him a free spare pack??

#13 BiomedO1, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s this too. And who knows where else; the dash for instance.

That number may go up.

15. EdPalmer42

EdPalmer42 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    See if there's a shop in your area that sells rebuilt battery packs. They might be able to repair your pack for a reasonable price.

By the way, AFAIK, there's no 1200 volts anywhere in the PP. The batteries are ~ 350V, which will still kill you really fast, but to me it's a red flag when a service goon uses that kind of exaggeration. It makes me wonder whether they're exaggerating about other things.

Ed

16. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As an aside, be sure to check elsewhere in this forum for rodent precautions to avert a recurrence.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to to move on to a less rodent friendly car

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Block with 1/4" mesh galvanized steel (rodent mesh):

Cabin Air Intake
    Engine Air Intake
    Hybrid Battery Air Exits (two, at the rear corners in hatch area, below floor

daisy555 likes this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Insurers will negotiate the bill with the dealers. They will not pay any bill that comes to them like regular customers like us do. The dealers typically charge less than 1/3 the labor to insurers than they do to regular customers.

storm petrol likes this.
  20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In these parts it's sold as "hardware cloth"

Also:

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 7.51.36 PM.png
    'Sup, guys?

storm petrol and Mendel Leisk like this.