1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Two, Red, paint is chipping and cracking after 6 months of ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by businessph, May 31, 2018.

1. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i purchased a brand new 2017 toyota prius two, on october 30th 2017, at magnussen toyota of palo alto california. I spray washed the car for the first time on may 31 2018, and noticed that the paint and clear coat was cracked and chipping. the chips and cracks are located on the hood, roof, and left front fender. this seems pretty odd for a 7 month old vehicle. has 9300 miles on it and has never been in an accident.

i went to magnussen dealership to have the service manager look at the damage. the service manager said, "there is nothing that can be done. also i should have kept the car cleaner." i thanked him for his time. he did not offer me anything nor did he document the incident.

i then filed a complaint online at https://toyota.com/support/#!/app/ask.
    i also contacted customer service at 1.800.331.4331 to open up a case.
    the customer service agent said that i needed to go back to the dealer ship and have the document the incident. after that i would be able to contact phone customer service to proceed with the claim.

is this a common issue with prius?
    have you experienced this with your prius?
    what steps can i take from here on out?
    i wonder if the car was damaged and repainted before i bought the car
    or if there were manufacturing defects.
    i will keep you guys posted. thank you for your time and help.

Attached Files:

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it is damage by sap, bird droppings, rat/mouse droppings, dead insects, bat droppings - each of which will destroy paint - it doesn't look right. Where is it normally parked - is it exposed to an industrial area where contamination could have landed on the car?

I bought a new FORD 10 years ago, and very soon after taking delivery, one morning came out and the bonnet had fresh bat (we call them flying fox) droppings - which took the clear-coat off. FORD pointed to the warranty paperwork where it said it's not covered by warranty (though if it ended up rusting, it would be!!!).

You could talk to a spray-painter for an opinion (even a crash repairer) who would be able to see if there has been paint or panel repairs before you took delivery.

3. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i park it outside. birds poop on it occasionally. i never had this issue on any of my used cars. i had dodge, hondas, and mazdas. my car's paint is garbage. i could take the car to get the repairs estimated. if toyota can give me that much i would be happy. then possibly dump the car, rent it out, or maybe uber it around town.

4. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Corp customer service said the paint is not covered under the 3 year warantee. I will never purchase another Toyota again.

knockknock_2 likes this.
  5. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    on 06012018, friday, contacted toyota corp and asked to speak to a manager. pending on monday.

knockknock_2 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that is bad! i thought the paint had a 12 month warranty. there are very few paint issues on newer cars here. try searching a bit to see if anyone else has had similar. don't limit yourself to gen 4.
    all the best!(y)

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The paint warranty is limited on all cars. As I said above, FORD wouldn't cover damage by bat-droppings. SUBARU's warranty says "
    upload_2018-6-2_10-50-5.png

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    limited is one thing, but 'there is nothing that can be done' without an explanation is unsatisfactory.
    and how does he know how clean the car was kept?

9. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    06052018 1151
    toyota corp customer service manager was scheduled to call me on 06042018 monday

on 06052018 1130am toyota corp customer service manager said a field rep will review my case and get back to me by the end of day.

10. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i counted
    20 damage spots on the hood
    5 damage spots on the front driver side fender
    5 damage spots on the roof

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There's a lot of Honda owners, including myself, who would STRONGLY disagree. TONS of Honda's around here with massive clear coat failures. Partial blame goes to stronger EPA paint regs. Honda finally offered a recall on many of its darker paint colors that included our midnight black civic.

Several of your examples are bird poop etchings. BTDT I shouldn't speak in absolutes but I'll never own a non-white car again. My wife's dark blue OutBack has numerous examples like yours.

orenji and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    94 dodge shadow green
    97 accord biege
    01 prelude silver
    93 rx7 times 3 montego blue
    05 mazda 3 electronic blue
    09 mazdaspeed 3 dark blue
    2006 jag xjr dark blue
    2006 acura tsx dark blue
    2018 accord white

paint clear coat fades over time but def does not crack and peel after 6 months. my shoes last more than 2 years and i beat the sh out of them in the gym.

7 months of ownership and the paint and clear coat are sh. there is no excuse. a car is made to be outside. my car's paint quality is trash.
    i have looked at other people's pri and i have not seen the same condition. unlucky me.

pretty much don't waste your money on a new car because the auto industry does not warrantee the paint.

buying a white car is good advice.

at the end of the day i blame myself because i decided to buy the car. should have kept my mazdaspeed 3.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    100 percent of our fleet cars have had paint failures - all optional "premium paint" because this was the only white color in 2008.2009,2010....
    Since these are fleet cars and not maintained to the same loving standards as privately owned vehicles, I give Yota a pass on the G3's.

YOUR car on the other hand appears to have substantial paint damage that to my untrained eyes looks like they pooched the paint job at the factory - or the car may have even been damaged in transit and repaired by the dealer without them notifying you.....because......in some states the dealer does not have to disclose this.....and in others they have a strong incentive to "forget" about stuff like that.
    Your paint is CLEARLY (pun almost unintended) not up to industry standards, but unfortunately you have to prove that you didn't cause or exacerbate the problem.

....so you're probably scrood.
    HOWEVER.....(comma!) I think I would spend a little bit of money and have some fun before I dumped the car....especially since you live where gas is more than $2.39 a gallon, and especially especially since based on the number of cars that you've owned, you're probably underwater on this car, and you're going to have to rig for deep submergence to get into another one.

1. Get an estimate from the best body shop you can find for what may have caused the damage and how much to make you whole.
    See if you can get a written estimation that this damage was caused by improper paint or repair. If they think that the car's paint has been repaired, then I would take that document to your dealer and do the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot thing....
    2. See if you can serve your dealership for Small Claims court case, the limit for which I believe is $10K in Caly.
    You might get lucky.
    3. Try to forget about the paint and just let the car's efficiency reward you for driving a more frugal car than the Mazda....and you may be part of an oops at the factory that will be compensated for by the mother ship.
    Of course, this is about as likely as a certain politician who shall remain nameless publishing his or her taxes......or flying off to Oslo for a medal and some spending money............but these are strange times we live in!!!

Speaking of which, if you haven't already done so.......go vote today!

Good Luck.

RCO and Tande like this.
  14. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i bought the car out right for 22000 cash
    car insurance is paid for the next 6 months
    my money is good
    ca gas is around 3.85 for reg shell

bisco likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's another option....
    I'm seeing people get their cars 'wrapped' out your way...

16. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    on june 18th 2018, at 1400 hours, the field rep confirmed that there is nothing toyota can do about the bad paint due to external effects.

17. businessph

businessph New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i could dip the car but that's time and money.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a fellow in another recent thread said his paint was peeling and toyota refused to cover it.

19. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Comprehensive insurance claim, pay deductible and get it repaired, damage is damage, see if that can work.

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How often do you wash your car? It looks like the clear coat has been eched by bird crap. Look at your rubber trim pieces along the roof rails, you can see that your car has not been washed regularly, they should be clean and shiny if washed weekly. Washing and waxing is part of keeping your car looking good and protecting the paint and clear coat.

#20 orenji, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    dubit, krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.