1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Two, Red, paint is chipping and cracking after 6 months of ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by businessph, May 31, 2018.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know only 6 months ownership. But I would ask, how many miles have you driven in that 6 months? How often on the highway? And is the vehicle parked outside in the open for long stretches?

Because as disappointing as that damage is, it all does look external. It looks like typical rock chipping and dirt or bird dropping etchings. Some of that a good detailer might be able to make look a LOT better.

I had some trouble with my Prius's paint. And went through a similar process of the dealership and Toyota pretty much telling me I was out of luck.
    I was eventually able to fix the problem on my own. At my own expense. Toyota disappointingly was no help in this matter at all. In fact they diagnosed incorrectly and left me with my only choice was to repaint at my own expense or live with it. I got over it but at the time I was pretty upset at what I felt was a real abandonment of Toyota in regards to helping me find resolution to the problem.

The vehicle NEVER needed to be repainted. A skilled detailer was able to fix the problem.

I'm convinced, and the reality is NOT limited to Toyota, but I'm convinced todays more eco friendly paints, just aren't yet as durable as old formulations. I was convinced on my Prius that the clear coat was soft. If ANYTHING got on it, in seemed to absorb more than repel.

On my current vehicle, also bought new, a Honda Fit, I would say the vehicle's paint also seems to be deteriorating faster than it should. But I'm really not convinced it isn't more simply the truth about todays automotive paint finishes, more than a separate defect.

Touch up paint, clear bra options, and simply aggressive finish maintenance might be all you can really do.
    I'm for being eco friendly..obviously, but I'm afraid they haven't maximized eco friendly with durable in the world of automotive finishes.

krmcg likes this.
  2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This damage is defective materials and/or workmanship. The car needs to be repainted. The "damage" may also point to a previous repair, possibly damaged during manufacture or transport to the dealer. That type of repaired damage does not need to be reported, and the car can be sold as new.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The lack of cleaning - 7 months from new to the first wash - wouldn't have helped.

But, I'd be asking an experienced panel-repair shop or spray painter for advice.

As for the touch-up paint - it doesn't look right, as though the colour hasn't mixed with the solvent - I'd be returning it.

4. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have to bar clay your vehicle evey now and then.I own a 2010 Prius and my cars paint looks a lot better than some of the Gen 4 Priuses I've seen.Some people just don't take car of there cars on the outside or even know how to. Bar claying gets rid of the dirt in the paint

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

orenji and krmcg like this.
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't know what you guys are seeing, but that's not a paint defect. Did it happen suddenly, or over time. Could it possibly be vandalism? Some kind of liquid thrown on your car? New red cars attract all the nuts. Who did you piss off at your gym.:LOL:

And I've never heard of anyone going 7 months(?) and not washing their car. What's up with that?!

#26 Starship16, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. Nobby

Nobby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Hypersonic red Gen4 in UK and have picked up a lot of chips over the past year. In UK the touch up paint kits are three part and I have never got a brilliant result but with patience most panels are acceptable . The bonnet is the worst and one in the centre of the roof I have had to give up with. Do not lean on the roof rails they dent with ease. I brought a great bonnet spoiler back from Canada which has hidden the worse of the bonnet chips and also got a pen type touch up that works ok. For best result use Eyelash Microbushes about $5 for 100 off Amazon (chinKyboo) and build up thin layers allowing to dry slowly. Flattening off with paint repair polish kit (Aldi) or cutting polish. For the plastic bits I use a wax crayon Turtle wax and resin polish. Lasts about a year. It is essential to do any work on a warm day with low humidity. P1020495.JPG

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

davecook89t likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if OP's car suffered damage in transit, when new? We were in a situation like that one time; one side of the car had been completely repainted, and it started flaking off, revealing sanding marks, contrasting body filler.

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Wow...roof, hood and fender.
    Roof seems odd for a damaged in transit repair.

I'd start here, ruling out a damage repaint.
    To do that one could use a "mil thickness" tool gauge and compare the readings to other panels and another Prius.

Bird droppings are notorious for damaging paint, but to me that doesn't explain the "line" of damage at the roof rail.
    Difficult to say if vandalism, tree sap or another foreign substance is causing this paint issue.
    OP admits he left dirt et al sit on the car for 7 months before washing.

Could certainly be a OEM paint issue, but I am unsure.
    Can't tell from the internet if this is only clear coat or clear and color issue.

Maybe the next step after a mil reading is to ask a local body shop their opinion.

Looks like this thread was start May 2018....was the issue identified and resolved?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 6 ingredients to the Hypersonic (Emotional) Red paint (including pigments etc):
    upload_2019-4-10_12-45-38.png