1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius V ineffective braking performance

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul Anderegg, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Paul Anderegg

Paul Anderegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    165,000 miles on the car, quick look at the pads through the wheel spokes, pads appear thick and full of "life". Performancewise, just rolling around, the pedal travel required to engage any brakign is quite high, and the brakign force comes on too quickly at that point. Bascially, no braking, long pedal travel then complete overbraking. As for emergency freeway speed application, if you slam the brakes on to avoid a collision, you get a thumping sound and basically no real appreciable brakign force. As far as I know, the dealer has never performed any brake pads/rotor service on this car. The previous Prius V, a 2013, went it's entire 135,000 mile life with no brake services as far as I can recall. It's my work car, so I get service work order reports sporadically. Below is a video of the poor braking performcne, which other derivers of the car are reporting the exact same behavior. What to check? Wjat culd be causing these type of perfomance issues? :(

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the hybrid brake actuator? I know some v owners have had issues, and some lucky ones had it replaced under warranty

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you hear the brake accumulator pressurize at startup? Have you checked for any codes?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No trouble lights? Got to say the video helped very little. Maybe a shot of the dash. Of course this system is brake by wire with a hydraulic pump and accumulator normally sharing the load with electric regen. If it fails completely, lights are on and you have very hard and ineffective braking. Gen3 v's and corresponding hatchbacks have lots of worn and failed brake booster and master cylinder problems. But none I have heard of without trouble codes and lights.

Tim Jones and Air_Boss like this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is this car recently new to you? Is it possible dash lights have been disabled? This is why a check of stored/retained codes would be important.

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sell it.......

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is the guy who puts 50-60k a year on his company cars. Sounds like the brake booster issues may have continued into 2017 on the v.

Tim Jones likes this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s easy to check: when starting the car, do the red BRAKE and ABS warning lights on the combination meter (instrument cluster) come on briefly, and then turn off, as described in the Owner’s Manual (PDF), pages 87–88?
    It’s almost always good idea to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, but if the warning lights are normal—that is, seen only for a few seconds when starting the car—this may not be the most productive direction for diagnosis.

From the symptoms, I’d wonder about a brake fluid leak, air in the lines, or contaminated fluid. Have you checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir (Owner’s Manual, pages 437–439)? The procedure for bleeding air out of the lines is in the Repair Manual (more info); Toyota warns, “The Techstream must be used for air bleeding. If not used, the air bleeding will be incomplete, which is hazardous and may lead to an accident.”

If the trouble persists after replacing the brake fluid and proper bleeding, the Brake System section of the Repair Manual has an on-vehicle inspection procedure, which also requires Techstream and some special tools.