1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Won't Move From Stop

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MJChico, Aug 1, 2022.

1. MJChico

MJChico New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello -

I have a 2017 Prius with just under 60,000 miles on it. About three months ago I was driving and came to a stop sign, and stopped. When I pressed the accelerator to go again, the car did not move forward, the engine revved, but the car did not appear to be in gear and would simply not move forward. I put it in neutral, then in drive again and the same thing happened. Then I put it in reverse and it would not move again. I tried this several times and the car finally moved slowly through the intersection and it sounded like the engine was revving, but the car was not responding normally. Then, a the next cross street it was fine again.

Fast forward to last week and I came to a red light and stopped. When the light turned green and I tried to go, the car again behaved as above. It eventually slowly moved forward and then returned to normal behavior.

I took the car into our mechanic last week and they could not replicate the problem. So I'm about to go pick it up with them stating since they couldn't replicated the problem. They said they couldn't see any codes or anything.

Has anyone here run across an issue like this? I'm heading out of town soon and would rather not get stuck in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    run it by a dealer, there may be a tsb for this, i'm not sure, but it sounds familiar.

2010moneypit? likes this.
  3. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree It sounds very familiar. I think there is a TSB.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  5. Warwagoness

Warwagoness Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Yes!! Same problem! Its nuts! I have a 2016 2eco- If I taptaptap on my gas it will catch and take off. We went ahead and drained and replaced the ATF- 3.8qu ToyoATFWS - the old fluid didnt smell right but no metal particles of anything crazy appeared.. so far so good- it runs much better now. Crossing my fingers thats what it needed. Its really a head(n) scratcher. Have not found any other posts on this until yours- so glad Im not the only one with this issue! If I uncover any more details regarding this madness I will surely let you know. Please do me the same favor- its quite alarming and dangerous- not to mention the cost of those trannies...! o_OUgg. Drive it like ya stole it~~Dont look back.. Blessings -