1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 PriusV steering clunk and harsh ride over small bumps

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EliteScouter, Mar 26, 2021.

1. EliteScouter

EliteScouter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    My 2017 PriusV has 40K~ miles and I get this weird clunking sound when turning the steering wheel left/right while standing still or driving at low speeds. When going over smaller bumps I can feel them and the sound is pretty harsh as I can hear that clunking sound. Other than that, the steering is tight, it drives good and it's just driving me nuts not being able to pinpoint the problem. Here is a video of what it sounds like, I can feel the clunk in both tie rods, putting my hand on top of the steering rack, I can't feel it. Does the steering rack need replacing?

2. EliteScouter

EliteScouter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so I took a 300~Mile trip and noticed something strange. When coming towards dead center, it's binding. If I make a turn either direction, let go of the steering wheel, it corrects until it binds about 2 inches from center in each direction on the steering wheel. I am going to assume it's just a bad steering rack and replace it.

3. EliteScouter

EliteScouter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Replaced the rack and pinion and the noise is gone! It was getting worse by day, bit the bullet and tackled the swap. It wasn't as easy as I originally thought but it was worth it.