1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 v or 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Andaluzian, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Andaluzian

Andaluzian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

So glad to have you guys as a resource . currently own a 2010 prius and leasing a 2015 v.

I prefer the larger v for my needs. my lease is coming up soon and I'm not sure if I should try and buy one 2017 of year end discount or if they will be changing the body on the 2018 to something like the newer prius.

Thanks for your help and suggestins.suggestions . Happy holidays to everyone.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There may not be a 2018 model but we haven't heard if Toyota will continue the Prius v or whether the RAV4 Hybrid is taking too many sales. We hope they do. It's a good size but it needs to differentiate itself from the RAV4. (The RAV4 is more powerful, has AWD-i and it's a bit pricier but mpg is 32 vs. the v's 42 but I think the public prefers the extra power).

A 7-seater like the European MPVs could help. Like the Kia Rondo or Dodge Journey - it's not meant to replace the minivan but for those people who live in the city, you can carry more passengers and still squeeze into a parking space downtown more easily than a larger vehicle. It just needs to use a bit more power. A 7-seater with the Gen 4's system might be a bit overwhelmed.

Long story short, we don't know what's happening for 2018. If you're buying a 2017 at year end (so I take it to be next September or October), then hopefully we'll have a better idea.

3. Andaluzian

Andaluzian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply. I will have to say that would be extremely disappointing. I've had a rav and didn't care all that much for it. The Prius v is able to carry everything I need in the trunk that my small suv's would carry but get's considerably better milage.
    I'm not sure why they are being looked at as competing but I guess here in California it's a different market. I don't see many rav's but I see a ton of prius v's.

well I guess that leads me to my follow up question. Would it be a bad idea to buy into a dinosaur breed if it's going to potentially be discontinued ? If i had to I could go prius but really I need a larger vehicle with 40 + mpg's in the under 30k range.

Any ideas ?

Looking for something to drive part time for maybe uber and also take family and can seat 5.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since the drive train is essentially identical to the Gen 3 Prius, (the final drive ratio is different) spare parts should not be an issue.

Andaluzian likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it wouldn't be a problem since it shares the powertrain with the Gen 3 Prius as well as the CT200h.

6. axel23

axel23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bear in mind that when the Honda Element was discontinued, demand seemed to go up. They've held their value very well. I can see the same happening with the v.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    not likely. a couple of my thoughts:

when element ended production, honda had nothing (still has nothing) that delivers the same type of utility. honda went more family oriented crvs vs the element was geared towards outdoorsy folks in a metro area

prius v's biggest pool of buyers are sadly the taxi industry. when v stops production, mostly likely they'll find other cars. the brand loyalty is not there

prius v has a couple contenders even in the toyota fleet. Rav4h fits the gap nicely for space and 300h can take over the pool of folks considering luxury.

with today's gas prices, >40 MPG is achievable even for combustion engines. the fuel savings $$$ wise is not there.

i think the only thing that'd tempt me to get the next gen v would be a prime version of v.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never thought of my son's Prius v as a taxi for his dogs going to dog shows, agility trials, and training.

9. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    i'm sure there are lots of users of the v for personal use. Just saying that I've seen far more v in the taxi fleet than anything else. so the value increase after end of production in my opinion is unlikely.

10. eleison

eleison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a supply problem with the prius v. Too many are being made. Its not a mainstream vehicle. I doubt the prius v wil be discontinued. While not as many are being sold as Toyota may want, a lot of prius v are still being sold regardless.. And a lot of them are sold as taxis. As a taxi car the prius has no rivals. Its almost the perfect taxi vehicle. Even if the vehicle is a few thousand dollars more expensive, taxi owners would still buy it.

I think Toyota will make LESS prius v's. Also, the company will not update the vehicle as often. I can also see the price rising due to the lower number of vehicles being made (loss of economic of scale).

The only way Toyota discontinue the prius v is if Toyota thinks they can produce an alternative mainstream vehicle that has overwhelming demand...something like the tesla model 3. Something that would demand an overwhelming amount of their manufacturing capacity. I see no such vehicle in the horizon for Toyota.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The RAV4 Hybrid seems to be a pretty good alternative (minus the mpg. I know it's 10 mpg less but people like the ride height and AWD-i)

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Five years ago, my dealer had few v models on the lot. Not so today. It is RAV4h's that are in now short supply.

But I also see in my small town a heck of a lot of v wagons being used for personal use. Likewise I've seen lots of v wagons as taxis in cities in the US and Europe.

Sell one and not sell a replacement for another 10-12 years due to the v's reliability. That makes repeat sales tough. Of course the same can be said for any Prius.

But as an investor, would you develop another v given the sales figures?

13. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    toyota should make another one.. make one off the prime model. the v has the bigger body for the battery.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This.

A Prius v Prime would solve the cargo and passenger space issue. Of course there's a weight issue and mpg issue (it will be a heavier car and it will be less aerodynamic) but like the Outlander PHEV, it could be a no-compromise PHV (for its vehicle class).

15. jegpeek

jegpeek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there were to be an "all-new" Prius V in 2018 by when would we know, do you think? I really loved my old Prius, and I need space for a family, but I'd love to get in on the new drive train.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does not want to dump on sales so if the v improves you likely won't know until just before it's release.

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would likely at least be announced by September or October. It might even be released by then.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea but if it was a 2018 model, you'd imagine it'll be unveiled in November at the L.A. Auto Show.

jegpeek likes this.
  19. SpindleCity

SpindleCity New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We just purchased a Prius v Five in Massachusetts. As part of the process, after we had problems at the first dealership we went to, a friend connected me to a friend of his who works for Toyota directly (not a dealer). In addition to helping me match up with a dealer willing to get the vehicle we needed, he shared that Toyota is "sunsetting" the Prius v, that there is no 2018 model.

We had decided to make the purchase now, rather than 2018 when I found out a few weeks ago that there was not going to be a model refresh, but I haven't seen anything here after using search or on other forums I was following confirming there would be no 2018 "v" at all. He said Rav4 Hybrid sales are the main competitor.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds about right. Also, the R4h is more expensive and given that it's an SUV, I'm guessing the profit margins are higher. (A loaded 2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited in Canada is Cdn$41,990. Base Hybrid LE+ is Cdn$34,635. Compare that to an AWD LE at Cdn$29,870 [I know the Hybrid LE+ has more features than the AWD LE so the real price difference isn't actually that great) and the AWD Limited at $38,385).

A Prius v here runs from $28k to $35k. That's too bad. If Toyota actually invested in current battery technology, maybe we could've have had a Prius v PHV which would solve the cargo problem that most ppl have with the Prime. (or even a Venza or RAV4 PHV)

SpindleCity likes this.