1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 vs 2018 sound proofing

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by eustachio, May 31, 2018.

1. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I've had the chance to conduct an interesting experiment over the past 3 days. For various reasons, I've had 3 (yes 3!) separate Prius Two rentals since Sunday. The first 2 were the 2017 Two Model, both with about 30k miles on the clock. The last one is a 2018 Two with about 9k on the clock. Came with the extra safety gizmos- park assist, BSM, RCTA, etc.

Prior to last weekend, I had another rental with my family in another part of the country, also a 2018.

When I jumped into the first 2017, I remember thinking how loud the road noise and engine seemed. I put it down to different tyres, and maybe poor maintenance by Avis. The 2nd 2017 was very similar, I was quite surprised at how rough the engine sounded under acceleration. I swapped this out tonight for a 2018. I drove 40 miles each way, there in a 2017, then the return leg in the 2018.

The 2018 feels and sounds like a different car! Much quieter, much better insulation from road noise, the engine a faint growl. It almost has a premium car feel compared to the 2017. Did Toyota add a lot of damping/sound-proofing for the 2018 model year?

Gotta say, I love this car! I test drove a Camry hybrid last night, and while a nice ride with great acceleration, it feels 'car' like, rather than Prius like. MPG was very average, albeit impressive for a large sedan.

The little Prius has become totally addictive :D I also went to test drive a Prime, but of course it hadn't been charged. I have an appt tomorrow to drive one that the dealership has charged.

pilotgrrl and Gas Mizer like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tyres have a big bearing on sound.

TOYOTA haven't said anything that I've noticed in changes to soundproofing, mainly changes in the equipment mix. But there will have been ongoing adjustments to the car as they go - which happens to all cars. It could be inadvertent - like ordering door seals from a different supplier, same specification but just work better (or worse). Didn't I read that some USA versions had thinner glass - or wasn't that finally confirmed?

Or - as happens with some cars - the 2018 was a "Tuesday" car, the 2 2017s might have both been "Friday" cars.

Tyfly and RCO like this.
  3. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven two 2018s at this stage, definitely not a one off. I put 1000 miles on the first one.

When I got into the 2018 today I had the thought "ah, this is the car I remember".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting......I have a 17-1/2 two & the cabin/engine/noise (yes, could maybe even call it a "Growl") at LOW vehicle speeds (maybe 20 mph or less) is louder than our/wife's Gen 3 (no "Growl") .....(n)

5. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I haven't driven the 17, but I have an 18 and my wife and I both immediately noticed how much quieter this car is than our 13 was.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the growl in the 17 was louder than my pip. unlikely that toyota changed anything besides tyres, it's not their usual m/o.

7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Slightly unrelated I have some 3rd gen Priuses and I found that the higher trim model with the JBL stereo has soundproofing in the doors that isn't present in the lower trim model. The soundproofing is a felt mat that hangs in between the door and the plastic panel. Anybody out there pulled the door panels off any of the fourth gen Priuses yet?

8. orangecones

orangecones Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In general, I found my 2016 "A" (JDM spec) to be quieter than than what I remember from my family's 2014 Two (US-spec), or any number of (JDM spec) Gen 3 (of mostly lower trim levels) I've had as Ubers in the last few weeks. On that note, I found my 2016 to be louder (tire noise) than a few of the other 2016s (JDM or NZ-new spec) I have test driven while shopping. The 2 others cars I most immediately test drove around the time I test drove mine --

1. 2016 JDM "S" trim with 2016 Toyo EcoEnergy 3 15" tires.
    2. 2016 NZ-new GX Touring trim (with JBL) with 2 x 2020 Michelin Defender 17" on the front, and 2 x 2016 and very worn somethings on the back.

Mine has new (2021) Mazzini Eco607 17" on all 4 corners. I can't find much about these tires. I wonder if the 1st car had the advantage of the 15"s, and then the 2nd car had the advantage of the Michelins - as they both felt a little quieter in the tire noise department. Mine is kinda the worst of both worlds - 17"s and not Michelins. They are new tires, so I'll keep em, but when it comes time to swap, I might be tempted by getting some Michelins.

But anyway - probably need a bigger sample size, but other than a bit of engine noise when you get on it, I find the car pretty quiet. Maybe because wind noise is VERY controlled, and engine noise only comes through when you're ON it - tires is the only thing you have left that you're hearing all the time. And there is a huge delta in how much noise a particular tire is going to make. But also perhaps it points to a lack of insulation in the wheel wells. Throw some dynamat in there, probably at the cost of a few MPGs - the stuff is heavy. Why do you think the CT200h was less efficient than the Gen 3 - luxury features and sound deadening material is heavy.