1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2018 Camry and 2018 Accord coming soon

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Toyota Leaves Nothing to Chance with New Camry Launch | TheDetroitBureau.com

“We’re almost doubling the size of the outgoing model’s marketing effort,” said Jack Hollis, who was promoted to group vice president and general manager of the Toyota Division is early March.

His ascension to the top spot came as Toyota was preparing for the launch of the eighth generation Camry, which is played a dominant role in the mid-sized passenger car segment for three decades.

In fact, it’s hard to overestimate the Camry’s importance to Toyota. It’s very much the heart of the Toyota line-up and it has been the best-selling passenger car in the United States for the past 15 years. It also has been the best-selling passenger car for 19 of the past 20 years, losing out barely to the Honda Accord for only one year in the past two decades.
    . . .

Source: Honda Set to Reveal All-New Accord on July 14 | TheDetroitBureau.com

One of the most important automotive unveilings of the year – at least for Honda fans – will take place next month, the automaker pulling the wraps an all-new version of the midsize Accord sedan on July 14th.

The Japanese automaker offered up a teaser image to substitute for hard details about the new model – though we did get a look at a heavily camouflaged version of the 2018 Honda Accord during a visit to the company’s Japanese proving grounds last month.

During that visit we got to drive an early prototype complete with the new turbocharged inline-four engine that will replace the familiar Honda V-6 in the tenth-generation Accord. The new model is new from the ground up and is also expected to feature a new suspension system similar to what was offered on a “mule” car we drove during the proving grounds visit.

First off, I have no interest in a Camry since we have two wonderful plug-ins. But I have fond memories of our 1991 Camry lost in a 2005 accident that led to a used, 2003 Prius, our first. There was nothing wrong with the Camry but I didn't realize having collision meant the insurance company could and would seize the car for a 'salvage title.' Regardless, this looks to be an epic, head-to-head face-off between two Japanese giants.

I hope our 'powers that be' will throughly cover the hybrid and/or plug-in versions of both.

Bob Wilson

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If Toyota makes decent use of their Prius experience and gives the 2018 Hybrid Camry 50 miles per gallon while having "regular car" acceleration and power and some new bells & whistles, I would expect it to do very well.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #2135 – U.S. to Pass China in Competitiveness, Camry Hybrid = Prius In MPGs, Atlas 1st “Americanized” VW – Autoline Daily

CAMRY HYBRID EQUALS PRIUS IN MPGs

Toyota’s all-new Camry offers two hybrid systems, one with a nickel-metal battery and another with a lithium-ion battery. And it’s the latter which really caught our attention. It’s rated at 52 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving. Well guess what? That’s exactly what the Toyota Prius is rated at. And the Prius was designed from the ground up as a purpose-built hybrid. Sure, you can opt for the Prius Eco, which is rated at 56 MPGs, or go for the Prius Prime plugin which is rated at 133 MPGe. But we’re still mighty impressed that the Camry can match the smaller Prius when it comes to fuel efficiency. And it makes us wonder if an automaker really needs a purpose-built hybrid anymore.

Sounds good so far. My understanding is the press embargo ends today. If past is prolog, there will be 'Press Day' materials; a press drive day, and; finally the pre-production loaners in selected hands. EPA metrics should be available around the end of the year.

Bob Wilson

4. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go here:

2018 Camry and Camry Hybrid Official Thread | PriusChat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.