1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Camry and Camry Hybrid Official Thread

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by GasperG, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why? The current SE/XLE hybrid is only rated 38mpg combined, with 40 mpg city being its best.
    Compare Side-by-Side

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is causing the lower mpg's, weight? tires?

3. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While 2018 is certainly an improvement over 2017, 2018 SE/XLE is estimated to be the same highway and less city/combined than the 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid. I guess that I was expecting Toyota to beat Honda in all configurations, not just the low-end LE.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the accord drivetrain is more efficient, but i think you have to pay for it, and we still don't know how honda is treating their batteries.

5. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Initial look at the specs indicates that the SE/XLE are heavier than the LE by approx. 100lbs, use 18" wheels compared to 16" on the LE, and use a Ni-MH battery vs a Lithium-ion in the LE.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, kinda surprising the high end gets nimh. i like the bells and whistles, but i wouldn't mind 50 mpg either.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice early review by Wards: http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/toyota-hits-mark-more-driver-oriented-camry?NL=WAW-04&Issue=WAW-04_20170621_WAW-04_938&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_3&utm_rid=CPENT000000095975&utm_campaign=12468&utm_medium=email&elq2=0ba9b23030f24782b13af5e9abfb9181

But overall, the Camry provides a high degree of bang-for-the-buck value in a smooth-riding, quiet and well-mannered sedan. Our test drives here progressed from the most fuel-efficient hybrid model to the base 4-cyl. and on to the top-of-the-line V-6, and the successive bumps up in power and performance never disappointed.

. . . <boring gas version>

Two versions of the hybrid powertrain are available. The most-efficient version incorporates a lithium-ion battery and is sold as the base LE grade ($27,800). It delivers what Toyota says is a best-in-class 51/53/52 mpg (4.6-4.4-4.5 L/100 km) fuel economy, a 30% increase from the outgoing Camry Hybrid.

Upper SE ($29,500) and XLE ($32,250) grades get a version with a nickel-metal-hydride battery that knock efficiency down to 44/47/46 mpg (5.3-5.0-5.1 L/100 km), but that’s still 21% better than the ’17 model.

At the core of the hybrid powertrain is a 176-hp version of the new 2.5L that produces 163 lb.-ft. (220 Nm) of peak torque and is combined with a pair of electric motors, one of which is used only for battery charging. New is an Auto Glide Control that reduces engine braking to allow the car to coast more freely approaching a stop. It works only when the car is in eco mode and alerts the driver it is in operation through an indicator light on the instrument panel.

Also new is a sport driving mode for the hybrid that quickens response to accelerator-pedal inputs and provides a little more power to the front wheels.

Hybrids stick with a CVT, now with Sequential Shiftmatic technology enabling drivers to manually paddle-shift through six virtual gears. But other models get a new 8-speed automatic transmission as standard, replacing the outgoing car’s 6-speed.

In our driving loops through wine country here, all three powertrains meet expectations. The base, highest-mileage hybrid is not at all unpleasant to drive. With its battery now packaged neatly under the rear seat and no longer compromising trunk room, weight is balanced more optimally and you don’t feel as if the car’s tail is dragging.

Power is adequate, and the CVT largely goes unnoticed throughout our test. But the biggest wow factor is the fuel economy. The Camry delivers Prius-like numbers in what many will consider a more attractive and usable package that’s worth the extra money. Our drive confirmed the EPA data, as we averaged better than 53 mpg.

Bob Wilson

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, auto glide and simulated shifting? this ain't your fathers camry. still, it's hard to fathom the 7 mpg city difference, sorta like the two eco.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe we will consider. How is cargo space in the hybrid?

10. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Cool, time to look at replacing the 9 year old Prius. And the fact our Camry comes from Japan from October as well, things are looking alright!

Nothing against Australian built Camry. Our lasted 18 years before I retired it last month. Big fat zero mechanical deficiency... It's like having a worker for 18 years without taking a sickie! Kudos Toyota... I don't care what people said about your products being boring, just keep producing good reliable cars will do us ordinary folks the good!

SM-G900I ?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Found this in the press release:

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2018 Toyota Camry First Drive | Review | Car and Driver
    Which means #1 - lithium versus nimh, #2 probably wheels/tires, #3 weight. The SE gets a shift-able power mode, that may get averaged into the SE/XLE worse fuel economy.

With the camry LE hybrid, I would expect prius sales to be cannibalized. That may not be bad for toyota, as the camry LE hybrid with volume US manufacturing may be more profitable for toyota for US sales. Still with low gas prices, and the big improvements in fuel economy for the camry L (29/41), I suspect this will not raise hybrid sales for the company much next year. I would expect hybrid midsize car sales to rise substantially when oil prices rise, but that is probably many years down the road.

Spindifferent likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fair in the gen 2. now they've moved the battery under the rear seat, which is supposed to help, but i haven't seen any pics yet.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AG- Is the Camry Hybrid LE made in USA?

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The current Camry hybrid is made in Kentucky for the north american and some other markets. I assume the new one will be as well. Different variants are also made in Australia and Thailand.

wjtracy likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The hybrid has the same amount of trunk space as the ICE model now. It does lose about 0.6 cubic feet of passenger space though. I'm guessing the rear seat sits up a little higher in the hybrid.

Among the efficiency improvements is the use of 0w-16 motor oil. I'm wondering what the dealer will charge for that. The full synthetic Motorcraft goes for $10 a quart at the local dealer here.

The hybrid 'premium' hasn't gone down. It might even have increased by a hundred bucks.

#57 Trollbait, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    wjtracy likes this.
  17. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is this correct? Why would engine braking be used for the hybrid? Seems like it should reduce re-gen until the brake pedal is touched which would increase coast distance. Spinning the ICE could be used when in B mode to waste energy.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its likely a missunderstanding. Engine braking is used in B mode to conserve brake pads, and provide better control on long desents where the regen couldn't work because the battery can not take that charge.

In normal driving normal mode provides simulated engine braking by regen, but this is not all that efficient. In this new glide mode, my guess is it simply turns off this programmed regen. This is exactly what you have said ;-) Of note, it would also be nice to have a max regen mode, where the car regens as much as it can when the accelerator foot is lifted. That provides most slowing before the foot is applied to the brake for frictional speed reduction, and would give better braking pedal feel, and one foot driving. Telsa drivers seem to really like this, and bmw i drivers have this option.

#59 austingreen, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I read "Auto Glide Control" as an automatic "N" instead of manually having to shift it. In effect, eliminating one aspect of the synthetic drag found in previous Toyota hybrids. If it means you can stay stopped without your foot on the brake, then they've finally killed 'the creep.'

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.