1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Camry and Camry Hybrid Official Thread

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by GasperG, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From Will Toyota’s 2018 Camry Hybrid Rise Back To The Head of Its Class?

"Why did the base LE model get a more-expensive and more-efficient li-ion battery? Why did Toyota not put li-ion in the upper trims too being they are catering to people with deeper pockets?

“The Camry LE HV buyer values higher fuel efficiency and by incorporating the Li-Ion battery we can maximize mpg,” said Butto using “HV” to denote hybrid vehicle. “The Camry XLE HV buyer appreciates added features and may not be so concerned with maximizing fuel economy versus the LE HV buyer so the Ni-MH battery fits the XLE buyer/package needs best. By being able to achieve the XLE HV target mpg with the Ni-MH, it was not necessary to incorporate the Li-Ion battery into that grade since target mpg was achieved.”"

bisco likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In another thread, 2K1 is saying Li is cheaper than NiMH now. I do not know if he's pulling my leg, but 2K1 is inventing a DIY NiMH replacement batt for Gen2/3.

I like the fact you guys have 161 posts on Camry as I will read to decide if that's my next wheels.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Got an email today, 1k off for Toyota owners. Went to the website, but other than promo pics, all they show is 2017.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe cheaper in China, but Toyota has the cheapest nimh.

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The compound port/direct injection D-4S system is shown on the HyCam engine. Not that I'd mind a port injected car only given concerns about long-term durability of the DI systems on other brands.

2018 Toyota Camry Engine & Mechanical Features

Hybrid engine:
    2.5-Liter Dynamic Force 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve
    D-4S Dual Injection with Dual VVT-i
    ECO, Normal, Sport and EV63 drive modes
    176 hp @ 5700 rpm; 163 lb.-ft. @ 5200

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is, but Toyota made a massive investment into NiMH; their costs there are lower than everybody else. They may not be cheaper than Li-ion though, but the accountants still like the spreadsheets when using it.

7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota is also notoriously conservative as a company, with the largest exception being the Prius launch.

This means that they're usually one of the last to adopt a new technology, and Li-ion is no exception. When other automakers were going whole hog into Li-ion HV batteries, Toyota was barely dipping their toe into them by making it an option on the Prius v (and not in the US market, where they're even more conservative). They know they can make NiMH batteries last, they aren't worried about safety with NiMH, and they have better cold performance than Li-ion.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, this is real. I thought it is typo. I never even considered Camry for my next car, but that kind of mileage would rival Prius head on. LE is the lowest trim isn't it? Looks like Toyota is betting on economical = ecological mind set. Is Camry hybrid LE available already? Has anyone actually getting this number on actual driving on LE?

#171 Salamander_King, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that's the idea - Those looking at the LE Hybrid will be attracted to the high mpg (and allows Toyota to advertise a higher mpg and lower starting price). The SE and XLE buyers, according to Toyota, have other priorities and are ok with a slight mpg dent for greater features.

@amped has one on order - the only one on PC AFAIK.

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Wow, if it holds up under scrutiny, the MPG of the hybrid LE model has me really interested!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LE is the base trim level but is actually pretty well equipped. See post #126 in this thread for standard equipment where the only thing I bitched about was the urethane wheel that could easily be covered. That's more than offset by the gorgeous interior redesign (well, bitch #2, no Apple or Android connectivity yet) and plush but durable looking and feeling cloth seats (except Macadamia that won't survive a coffee spill well) that I prefer over the SE and XLE seats.

Plus, all Camry HV trims get steel wheel temporary spares stored below the flat trunk floor.

They aren't around the Pacific Northwest yet, but I'm currently trying to snag the press car to take on a 500-mile eclipse totality road trip into the remote high desert region of Oregon. Not having any luck yet, but haven't given up.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the le mpg's pan out, i would love it, but suspect my wife will be more inclined to pleather. what about wheel size?

16. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC LE wheels are steel 16X6.5, SE and XLE are cast alloy 18X8. Overall diameter is the same with OEM tires.

The steelies weigh 26 lbs. according to an eBay seller, real anchors for that size. Not sure about the alloys but wouldn't be surprised at 28-30 lbs.

After pricing out compatible forged alloy 16" sub-18 lb. aftermarket wheels on tirerack, I instead called two dealers here to find 17" LE takeoffs from any compatible Toyota car like a 2017 LE but few Camry owners bother swapping wheels. OEM prices from a dealership are legalized theft.

eBay has 4-wheel sets of new 17" OEM's with lug nuts for $250 shipped so might go that way, mount a higher performance all-season tire and still come in below OEM LE HV setup weight while maintaining the same diameter with a bigger footprint.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    which gives a better ride?

wow, looks like they really shrunk the gas tank!

no screen, or back up cam on the se/le?

#177 bisco, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  18. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ride quality would depend on tire choice. Lower profiles usually ride harder but it also depends on design and materials. I wouldn't mind a firmer ride to take advantage of the improved suspension and lower CG, knowing from prior Prii and HyCam experience that it will cost 4-5 mpg, worth the improved grip on the wet, twisty mountain roads I usually drive on.

A bigger drawback to a lower profile all-season performance is tread noise. Hopefully, the improved NVH measures on the '18's will minimize it, but it's definitely a consideration, especially as the tread wears.

Yeah, I noticed the tank capacity shrinkage, but range even at 48 mpg should exceed 600 miles, good enough for me.

19. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Steel wheels on the LE must be mostly for cost savings? Kind of disappointing...

20. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @bisco, you had me checking the brochure. They write "Integrated backup camera with projected path" is standard on all Camry trim levels.

bisco likes this.