1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 HyCam amateur review and ongoing blog

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by CamryDriver, Jan 22, 2018.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice!! At least you got a tail wind in one direction. Last time we took a long trip, we had 20 mph headwinds in both directions. And it rained most of the time.

2. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure enough the mileage on the return trip was not as good. Going South it was displaying around 51 MPG and going West at 75 to 80 MPH the mileage dropped down to perhaps 47 MPG displayed in 90 degree heat with the AC on the whole time. I suppose we averaged 52 MPG displayed or so overall for the interstate parts of the trip and a good deal higher slower back roads.

I'm fairly happy with that. Things were a little hectic with both my wife and I driving so good records were not kept at the pump. The calculated numbers at the pump tend to run about 5% less than displayed so the "real" numbers were most likely closer to 49 or 50 MPG on the interstate.

By comparison my Wife's car gets perhaps 38 MPG on the road which isn't too bad. Her car is a bit smaller and noisier so it is somewhat amazing that the Camry manages to be more powerful, quieter, a bit bigger, and gets noticeably better mileage as well.

Dubuque Iowa is an interesting looking city.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sucks!

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Really wish this car was available as a Lexus badged PHEV hatchback / crossover. Like the Venza, but done well. Or an updated, larger CT 200h.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree!

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  6. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looked at a Lexus NX today while the IS got a TSB taken care of.

With the horrible gas mileage of the NX it's not even on my list, but it does tick a lot of boxes.

Have to wonder what is going on inside Toyota, Lexus executives' minds. Subaru's market share increases every year, yet I guarantee 9/10 Subaru owners would gladly move to a more reliable manufacturer (so, any other one) given the choice. Ground clearance and utility is important, but not as important as a working engine and decent fuel economy! And why do luxury makes insist on sacrificing utility so much?

I never understood the appeal of Volvos, always felt like paying luxury price for non-luxury vehicle, but now I am beginning to understand...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are suburu's trouble in the first 120k?

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Subaru has really stepped up their game in fuel economy in the past few years.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that a backhanded compliment?:cool:

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually no. A synchronous AWD system is going to be less efficiency than most other drive trains out there. The Imperza's combine rating was in the low 20's. Subaru redesigned the AWD, went with a CVT, and installed a new engine, and it jumped to the low 30's in one year. A Corolla or other FWD sedan will easily do better, but they also don't have AWD available, let alone one of the best AWD systems. Their advanced driving and safety aids are also top notch.

There overall reliability has also improved over time. I remember that they were on par with the domestic brands on CR surveys during the '90s.

11. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There will be a Lexus badged replacement for the CT, a Prius sized crossover shaped hybrid with eAWD: The UX due in December. No plug in version. The hybrid variant will be eAWD only and the non hybrid will be front drive only.

12. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just now noticed the HUGE price drop on the Accord Hybrid. I like my Camry but I paid more for it than the current list price of the Accord Hybrid. I swear the Accord was in the low $30k range making it out of my price range.

I've always wanted an HSD with no belts, clutches or friction bands to wear out so I might have gone with the Camry anyhow but it seems like one should at least check out the Accord Hybrid at the current list price. My previous hybrid was a Honda and I was very happy with it. Toyota seems to do a better job with their traction batteries...

I'd love to find more detailed technical information on both the Accord Hybrid and the Camry Hybrid.

This lack of info was an issue with my Civic Hybrid as well. Insight Central had (has) a wealth of great information available for the Insight which was similar to the Civic Hybrid but it was not exactly the same.

So far I'm taking Prius information and guesstimating what is going on with the Camry Hybrid.

#312 CamryDriver, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  13. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like my Camry. It is a bit painful for me to go back to driving our family's other vehicles and especially strange to switch back and forth. The key-less on the Camry works brilliantly but after using a key for so long one must train one's self to just leave the key thingy alone. Switching back and forth goofs me up on this and I'll end up with the Camry key FOB out of my pocket and in my hand for no reason.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Accord hybrid doesn't have a traditional transmission of any type It is a one speed transmission like BEVs use that has a clutch to allow the ICE to directly propel the wheels at highway speeds.

While I had the Prius, there were a couple times when I was left wondering why the house door wasn't simply unlocking for me.

15. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL

16. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you think of the Accord Hybrid?

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't taken a close look at it, but would if I were in the market.
    Any issues I have would have against the car would likely stem from the dealer and Honda's pricing, but I think they have a sale going on the hybrid now.

18. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The artificial shift points maybe are for those who don't like a constant tone. Logically keeping engine at constant optimum RPM for either best economy or best power delivery without gear shifts is best from an objective point of view. In another version of history, if all cars had CVTs since the beginning and then we moved to shifting gears, everyone including the car magazine would then be annoyed by the annoying changing RPM and shifts.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Other CVT equipped cars have had artificial shift points to appease those that are use to them, and those that favor performance over efficiency.

In the Camry hybrid, the manual shifting option is really just a reinvention of the B mode in the Prius and previous Toyota hybrids. It is B with selectable levels of engine braking, and allowed Toyota to share some more parts and software between the hybrid and ICE models.

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But, but but...
    <sarcasm>Toyota US considers the Camry a car, but the Hybrid is a different beast, in its own category. If they are that different how could they share drive components?</sarcasm>