1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 HyCam amateur review and ongoing blog

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by CamryDriver, Jan 22, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow 13 gallons? that's a bummer. i just pumped 13 from va to ga yesterday.

on the plus side, at 50 mpg, we would only have burned 10. (y)

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IIRC, the passenger space a tiny bit less(half cu.ft.) in the hybrid than the ICE, but otherwise the same.

The ICE has a 16 gallon tank, but the L has 14.5gal and 1cu.ft. less trunk space.o_O

3. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple of things...

"L"?

The 2018/2019 LE has (copy/paste): Fuel Tank Capacity13.0 gal. According to Edmunds and others.

I'd expect someone to get 47 MPG or so on the highway under ideal (hot,dry, windless) conditions, less in other situations.

The car displays a little less than rated and then calculated figures are always less than displayed by a tad. Like minus 5% and minus 5% again (about 10% total).

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I went to Toyota's site. There you can compare the different trims(they call them grades) under specs, including the hybrid ones.
    L is the base, no frills ICE trim. Struck me as odd that it would have a different tank and trunk size from the other ICE trims. Note that the LE hybrid shares the same wheels with the L ICE.

5. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a bit weird. It makes sense that the hybrid tank is smaller to make room for the battery but why the 14.5 on the L?

I expect the hybrid LE will go about as far as the others in spite of the smaller tank.

#385 CamryDriver, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had similar odd experiences. toyota.com showed LE, SE and LSE iirc, but my local dear has an xse for sale.

either way, the toyota website is as horrible as it has always been

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The XSE is on their site. The full spec comparison can only show three 'grades' at a time though.

8. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That polar vortex has this tank below average but my run into work today was an amazing 67 MPG displayed. Warm weather along with very conservative driving really pays dividends.

9. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WhooHoo, great day today. 67 MPG on the way to work and 68 MPG on the way back home (displayed).

This is a huge jump from commutes in the forties/low fifties during the recent blast of cold weather.

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow!
    i'm getting 50mpg on the first 150 miles of the tank on our 2013 hycam. in florida, flat as a board, no hvac.
    can't wait to get my hands on gen3.

11. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the gen 3 is great, I love mine. Keep in mind I'm trying very hard to get good mileage and that normal drivers driving normally will not match these numbers.

For example the speed limit is 70 MPH on the highway near my house until the top of the first hill. If I'm running very late I'll drive 80 MPH, a little late 70 MPH, on time 55 MPH and yesterday only 40-45 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. I maintained 40-45 MPH even after the limit went to 55 MPH. In fact I never went over 45 MPH the entire trip unless it was caused by a downhill.

Curiously the mileage was not that good climbing the hills while driving so slow but the battery got much more charge than usual allowing for much more EV mode driving on the flats and downhill sections.

#391 CamryDriver, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  12. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another great run but not as lucky with the wind and traffic lights so "only" 63 MPG displayed today on the way to work.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear you, and that's how i get 50 currently. it isn't easy.

my biggest problem is going to be deciding between the high mpg package or one of the higher.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd go with the higher trim. I like the paddle shifters on my SE.
    Then look into getting a smaller, lighter set of rims. Much of the efficiency reduction is from the large wheels.

15. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My LE hybrid seems plenty fancy enough for me. The exterior is not my favorite and the higher trims to look sharper but I don't really care so much about all that. Different strokes.

50 MPG seems really good for a 2013. I'd have been happy with that. In fact I originally went looking for that generation but they sold out quickly. When I heard the specs for the 2018 I had to have a new one.

bisco likes this.
  16. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20190205_235311.jpg

That 63 MPG run into work must have been due to a headwind because I hit 80 MPG (displayed) on the way home with the wind. Temps were in the sixties which helps. That is like 71 MPG average for the day beating yesterday by a healthy margin.

Cold weather is on the horizon so I expect the tank average to be much lower than these excellent runs from the last couple days.

The super slow average speed is partly from a quick stop at WalMart where I didn't shut the car off because I only needed 3 things from the store and didn't want to ruin the trip. So the car was actually parked for just a few minutes, running the average speed down. If it were not for the stop the average speed would be more like 32 MPH or so.

#396 CamryDriver, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My current ride is a 2016 SE. Compared to the LE, it has the paddle shifters, dash display of all four tire pressures, larger wheels, and a 'spoiler'. There are several blank filled spots for other switches. I sat in a last gen hybrid LE. The hybrid system monitor was a step down from what my 2005 Prius had; the higher trims had better displays.

So for a car that you will have for 5+ years, it is worth appraising the features of the higher trims.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i need pleather seats, larger display, better stereo, not really sure what else or what differences there are on gen 3

if i knew this for sure, i would too

50 is an anomaly. the lifetime average is more like 40. we have a high trim, but i don't think it mattered in gen 2 mpg

#398 bisco, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Compare Side-by-Side

The difference between trims for your gen is because of wheel size and weight. It is the same for the current, but also in battery chemistry.

The weight different for both gens' trims is in the 70 to 100 pound range, and the curb weights are virtually the same between the generations. So it has the same impact if the difference is in the same locations of the car.

The Li-ion pack Toyota uses is smaller and lighter than the NiMH one. Li-ion can provide better efficiencies for regen braking, but both packs have about the same usable capacity. Toyota's choice here likely had more to do with the weight savings.

Larger wheels hurt fuel economy by having wider tires that hurt aerodynamics, and by being heavier. It is unsprung weight, and thus has a bigger impact than if the weight was elsewhere on the car. In the last gen the wheel sizes were an inch apart; a slight difference. For the current one it is 2 inches; the difference in tire widths is just over an inch. The current hybrid LE wheels are smaller than the ICE LE's.

A set of lighter wheels on the higher trims may not get you all the way to the LE fuel economy, but it will narrow the weight gap in the spots for the biggest impact.

The other way to look at is this, a 2019 XLE doesn't get the magic 50mpg, but is still a 15% improvement over what the last gen XLE was rated. With 15k miles a year, the XLE costs $150 more to fuel at $3/gal than the LE, but is still $150 cheaper than your current hybrid. It likely isn't worth buying lighter wheels at that difference. Then every generation of hybrid gets easier to reach the EPA.

Plus, having an XLE now, a new LE may seem to be a step down in terms of features.

bisco likes this.
  20. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mention paddle shifters, is that a hybrid thing?