1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prime Advanced Complaints

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by coach81, Oct 2, 2018.

1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So as I am continuing my research into the 2018 Prime Advanced Prius, I have seen the following complaints / issues.. can owners please confirm, deny, or comment?

1. Glare on the "Ipad" touchscreen display. Is said to "blind" drivers in the afternoon, and is mostly un-viewable when sun is out.
    2. Low clearance- front bumper is said to scrape on speed bumps and driveways.
    3. Car is "heavy" and unlike other "pure EVs" doesn't have that quick off the line zip in pure EV mode.
    4. Heated seat control is hard to see or get to.
    5. wireless phone charger doesn't work well at all

Thanks in advance,
    Coach

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have Advanced trim, but all of the points listed also applies to Premium trim, and I concur with ALL. That said, I am perfectly happy with overall performance and value of the car.

benagi and coach81 like this.
  3. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So is the glare THAT BAD???

Thanks so much for the reply.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all the time. Only if the sun is at just perfect angle coming from right side and low enough to reflect directly into your eyes. This does not happen every day, but for my commuting route and time it happens often enough to distract me. I have read people with tinted glass has none of this issue. My car is not tinted.

alexcue and coach81 like this.
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've seen threads about various annoying rattles.
    And the interior being loud from road noise.
    And the Softex steering wheel peeling.
    And various issues with the Bluetooth.

All those things also apply to the regular Gen4 Prius. Mine. The Prime is a great looking Prius.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's right. After a year, mine started clicking rattle noise from inside of dash. I am taking to a dealer to have it looked at in two weeks.

7. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'd like the button to get out of pure electric on the steering wheel and the button to turn on the heated steering wheel where the button for pure electric is.
    I'd like it to come with caps for the center of the rims when you remove the fake hub caps.
    I'd like the OEM tires to be Michelin defenders.
    I'd like the shocks to not bottom out when running over very small bumps.
    I'd like the front seats to be cooled.
    I'd like air suspension like my ram ecodiesel so I could go off road.
    I'd like it to charge wirelessly, just like the phone charger, which is wonderful.
    I'd like the driver's seat to move back 4" when the Prius is turned off for better egress-ingress.(just like my ram ecodiesel)
    I'd like free maintenance for it's life.

8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think it's the best looking Prius. I wish I had one, but no place to plug it in at home. I was following a Prime this morning, the yellow blinkers way down low on the rear fender are kind of interesting. I like it.

I've been lucky with the interior on my Gen4. No rattles. But then my steering wheel blistered. And I got the 3 recalls and a couple of technical service bulletins(?) The price we pay to get such great gas mileage. :D Enjoy those Primes!

9. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1: I've never been blinded, but it is hard to see sometimes.
    2: Never been a problem for me. I was used ot pretty low since its my second Prius, so I haven't scraped yet.
    3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's *not* a pure EV, so expecting the same performance of one is asking too much, it's far more complicated a system. It's a Prius...
    4: hard to reach, yes, and I have no idea what they were thinking. (and they've been thinking it since the Gen3 Prius came out)
    5: It works, just slow charging.

HPrimeAdvanced and Hayman66 like this.
  10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I shared the same belief/observation, until I got a new phone.

Compared to most pure EV choices in this market, yes. Compared to the traffic you'll actually encounter routinely, no.

Prime is quite a bit faster off the line in ordinary driving. The reason why is simple. You drop the pedal with a traditional vehicle, the engine roars and everything shakes... so you avoid ever doing that. But with electricity, it a always smooth & quiet. So, you quickly become accustom to taking advantage of that.

#10 john1701a, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  11. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had no problem when I moved to an iPhone X. (now bluetooth dropouts, yep, a lot of them, ever since I updated to iOS12)

12. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much guys... I test drove a Prime Premium tonight.. very smooth ride, I really liked it

13. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    - I wish the mirrors can be folded close automatically after I park to save space when I park in the garage for charging
    - The navigation system volume does not adjust automatically with the master audio system volume. It always stays the same regardless. So sometimes it is too loud when passengers are sleeping, sometimes is hard to hear when loud music is playing.
    - No android auto nor car play.

14. Curlyone

Curlyone Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My limited experience so far:
    1. havent seen any glare that bad which might be a result of my driving habits (going to work in the dark, heading north at the end of the day so the sun comes in the drivers side window). Other than direct sunlight on the screen it's perfectly visible during the day.
    2. this one has worried me since I previously had a subaru with lots of clearance. I have two kinds of speed bumps at work, one set is reasonable, the others are kidney busters. While I take them more slowly than in the subaru I havent had a problem in the Prime.
    3. no problems with acceleration, it feels as quick or quicker than the previous subaru. Part of this may be driver expectations, I went into it hearing the Prime had lousy acceleration so I expected low performance. I was happy to find that, in my opinion, it's perfectly fine.
    4. this is true, pretty lousy placement of the buttons
    5. dont know, dont have a phone capable of wireless charging.

15. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No option for heated seats in the rear. Also, heating and cooling doesn’t seem very effective in the back.

16. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No android or car play is a very sore spot for me, especially since Entune 2.0 is so lame. :(

TGrracie likes this.
  17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hard seats!! And I don't even own one. :LOL: I went to the Auto Show today and spent a lot of time in the Toyota area. Spent considerable time checking out the Primes they had on display. I was surprised at how hard the Softex driver's seat feels. I sat in it for 20 minutes. MUCH harder than my regular 2016 Prius with cloth seats. (I've seen threads here with a similar gripe.)

And why does the interior feel smaller? It just does. And I didn't like that giant screen staring me in the face. Big distraction, for me. But other than that, I like the body style. I'm waiting until they increase the EV range to 200 miles ;)

EazyPeazy likes this.
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They work great for long-distance travel. Just got back from a trip up north. Never noticed the seats... an obvious good sign.

19. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The seat hardness doesn't bother me... however the lumbar support is in completely the wrong place for my wife. She ends up putting a pillow behind her back whenever we take the car on a longish drive. I would have paid extra for vertical lumbar support adjustment

20. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As my wife has had back surgery, she may also be a "pillow packer" for any extended trips!