1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius 3 25500 + TTL MDR, CA

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by holyshietbucket, Feb 9, 2018.

1. holyshietbucket

holyshietbucket New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not the best deal but it was a hassle free experience. We didn't spend much time negotiating. Ended up getting 25500 + 6 yrs extended warranty + TTL with 0.9% financing rate at 60 months. downpaid 8k and getting 375 per mo. Would you say it's an okay deal?

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like you paid $30,500 for the OTD price (if your $8000+375x60 is the full price of what you paid for everything). I'd look at the 2017 dealer OTD price thread for comparisons to other threes.

Dealers try to make people feel good by giving them a "deal" in one area and then making up for it in another. Dealers can make money in the following areas...
    • financing (usually they make more on the financing than on the sale price of the car)
    • extended warranty
    • trade in
    • sale price
    • dealer fees, TTL, etc.
    So many dealers will give a great deal on a trade in or the sale price and then make up for it with the financing, warranty, TTL, or dealer fees. Usually there is a great deal given in at least one area, and a not-so-great deal given in another area.

One thing I learned is that the "dealer fee" and "TTL" are really smoke and mirrors. They can be employed in a variety of ways to make dealers money. In my case I only negotiated OTD prices (which includes everything including all TTL, taxes, dealer fees, etc), so I did not need to worry about dealer fees or TTL, which can vary a lot across dealers or within the same dealer from case to case.

And even with an OTD price that is good, they can get you on the trade in or financing. Dealers are professional salespeople and they always win.

#2 WilliamP, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Mehmet likes this.