1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius Bluetooth Connection/Pairing Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ben High, May 24, 2018.

1. Ben High

Ben High New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all!

I just picked up a new 2018 Prius Two about a week and a half ago. I've been very satisfied with the vehicle thus far, but I've just recently started having some issues with the Bluetooth connection to my phone.

While at the dealership, my salesperson walked me through pairing my Moto X 2014 to the vehicle. Everything went fine with the pairing, and the first 2 or 3 times I drove the vehicle, my phone connected to the vehicle with little complaining (except that it wasn't transferring all of my contacts).

A few drives later, however, I noticed that the head unit wasn't displaying my phone's battery or signal information. Additionally, my phone kept vibrating every couple of seconds, popping up a notification saying "Connection request from TOYOTA Prius." When I pulled off the road to accept the request, nothing happened. When I checked my list of saved devices on my phone, the vehicle did not appear, although the Prius reports that it has my phone saved.

I have been unable to connect my phone to my Prius since, so I've just left my phone's Bluetooth off. Today, I decided to try and repair my phone to the Prius. After a few minutes of just trying to get the car to appear in the nearby Bluetooth devices list, I attempted twice to pair my phone to the car. Both times, the Prius reported that the pairing was successful, but my phone just kept saying "Pairing..." while the vehicle waited for me to give it phone and audio permission. I was never prompted to give the vehicle those permissions on my phone. I did get the usual "confirm PIN."

Has anyone ever seen this, and has anyone found a solution to this? Thanks!

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine did something odd a long time ago. I ended up deleting all bluetooth connections in my phone (there were a few from previous cars etc) and trying again. It's been fine since mostly. If it fails to connect, I turn bluetooth off the phone, then back on immediately and it re-connects.

It could be worth checking with your salesperson again - that's what I had to do with my last car.

RCO likes this.
  3. StarmanUK

StarmanUK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I'd also delete all the pairings from the head unit and ensure when you first connect you allow all permissions (Contacts/messages etc) that it requests.

RCO likes this.
  4. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All excellent suggestions above. If I have problems, they occur when it has been "a while" since my phone was last rebooted. So, I always reboot the phone as soon as connection problems rear their head.

Also, there are some Bluetooth implementations that just don't play well with certain others.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. steuermann

steuermann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever there has been an update done to my phone (here in Germany uptates to my motorola smartphone are sent at least once a month), I need to start a new pairing process. First the existing pairing has to be completely deleted and then I go through a new pairing process from scratch.
    Mike

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.