1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018: Prius Four Touring vs. Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by pianewman, Jan 11, 2020.

1. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After living with one of each, about 2 k miles on each, I'm ready to make some broad statements about each version of 2018 Prius.

For sure, the Prius Four Touring model (17" wheel/tires) is a more "driver friendly" stable platform, meaning, it's more connected to the road. Quicker turn-in, meaning quicker response to steering input, perhaps better grip on off-ramps (butt dyno at work!), less leaning into turns. The ride is more nervous than the Two, as the combination of suspension mods and the shorter, stiffer sidewall tires transmit more road vibration. It is definitely a more sporty feel, but VWAudi/Mazda/Nissan shouldn't be worried about the Touring taking sales away from them. Computer indicated MPG, (off/optimistic by 5%) is 52-54 overall.

The Prius Two, with 15" wheels/tires, is a much smoother riding car. The car even feels less stressed, as there's significantly less road vibration being transmitted into the cabin. It's a more laid-back feel. Yes, it leans more into turns, steering response isn't as quick, but frankly, (I'm 65, been there, done that with HP/torque) I prefer it to the Touring. Overall, it's a much more "balanced" car, I suppose because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is...a sedate vehicle designed for maximum MPG. FYI, my son's overall average (computer) is 58mpg.

I'm curious, and if I had the money, I'd like to try the 15"s on the Touring (with the modified suspension). If I were 20 years younger, I'd take the time to swap them in the driveway, but my back, and arms, and hands tell me it's probably not going to happen.

We are very satisfied with both cars, and hope the reputation for reliability proves correct.

2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's good feedback.

Funny thing, in my new 2019 Limited, with the Premium Convenience Package (sunroof), the 17" wheels are replaced with 15" alloys. (I like the fact that these don't have inserts or covers, like most every other Prius wheel.)

What were the suspension upgrades for the Touring trim line? If I'm correct, on the 2019s, there are no suspension differences amongst the trims, which were also renamed (L-eco, LE, XLE, and Limited).

3. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I honestly don't know the exact suspension differences. I'm not even sure where I read that the suspension was tweaked, and I haven't taken the time to research it. It would be easy enough to find the part number differences, but the quick search I did several weeks ago didn't reveal any factual data.
    I agree that the wheels with inserts are kinda silly, as I wonder about the inserts' longevity. The 17s are okay, I guess, but I think Toyota might have done better with a milder upgrade, from 15s to 16s, rather than jumping up to the 17s.