1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius One, started with bad experience

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ramo_958, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Ramo_958

Ramo_958 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought this car a month and a half ago from a dealer (not a Toyota dealer) about 45 minutes from my house. On the way home the check engine light came on and the coolant was overheating and the mileage was also terrible. Next day at daylight I also noticed that the car was heavily smoking in the back. I took it to a local Toyota dealer to have it checked out. They said that the coolant level was almost a gallon low and they recommended to take it back where I got it. So I took it back and I kept filling up the coolant reservoir on the way there. Two days later they said that they fixed it. It was smoking again so I took it back again. That dealer took it to a Toyota dealer to have tested and fixed. It turned out that the coolant was leaking into the catalytic converter. They had to replace part of the front exhaust. It took for another two weeks to fix the car. Everything was covered under warranty luckily and the car runs good now. I'm getting about 54 mpg. Hopefully this is it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

kithmo and krmcg like this.
  2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, because of the way the coolant loop is designed to go into the exhaust, its become a weak point in the Prius' design and reliability.

Why didn't the local Toyota dealer take care of it, but instead told you to go to the dealer that sold it to you?

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let's hope that all will remain well... Congratulations!

4. Ramo_958

Ramo_958 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I thought about it later but I was so pissed off at that point that I didn't even know that it was covered under warranty.

5. Ramo_958

Ramo_958 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks!