2018 Prius Prime Adv Navigation issues

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Alan5376, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Alan5376

Alan5376 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a new 2018 Prius Prime Adv and wonder if others have encountered any or all of the issues listed below. I would take the car to the dealer for repair, but I have a feeling these quirks are built into the system, and therefore not something that can be repaired.

Map updates: the map data is my car is dated April 1, 2017, and my Toyota Dealer told me no updates have been released.

Slow Traffic Ahead warning: every time I set a destination, the system tells me that there is slow traffic ahead, and there never is.

Poor routing: the system always routes me past my house on the highway, then has me circle back. There is no way to get it to take me on the most direct route.

Inaccurate destinations: I set the Nav for a destination on Friday night and it told me I arrived, but I was 2 1/2 blocks away.

Points of Interest: When trying to select a POI, most of the time it is not on the system. This happened last week with 2 Diners that have been in business for over 10 years.

This is so bad that I would use my iPhone instead, but this car does not have CarPlay. Any help will be appreciated, even if this is a case if user error.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sad to tell you, but all of what you mentioned are well known "defects" of Toyota's in-car navi system. "Defects" in a sense of normal operator who expect functional GPS navi system, but for Toyota engineers eyes, it is a finished product with no repairable parts. I suggest getting a Garmin and mounting it on one of the side vent. I recently replaced my 2017 Prime Premium which came with the same 11.6" screen infotainment and navi system as your 2018 Advanced, with a 2020 LE which came with no in-car navi and with a smaller 7" screen. I can't be happier. :D

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. FlyEaglesFly

FlyEaglesFly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Navigation is not as good as google maps or Apple maps but it’s probably about 75-80% effective. On long trips or in urban areas, we’ll check the car navigation against the phone navigation apps.

Have a 2018 Prius Prime Advance, approx 14K miles. Nav screen has frozen twice in last 2 weeks. Anybody else have this problem? Taking the vehicle in for planned maintenance and will have them investigate.

#4 FlyEaglesFly, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2020