1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius Prime Adv Navigation issues

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Alan5376, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Alan5376

Alan5376 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a new 2018 Prius Prime Adv and wonder if others have encountered any or all of the issues listed below. I would take the car to the dealer for repair, but I have a feeling these quirks are built into the system, and therefore not something that can be repaired.

Map updates: the map data is my car is dated April 1, 2017, and my Toyota Dealer told me no updates have been released.

Slow Traffic Ahead warning: every time I set a destination, the system tells me that there is slow traffic ahead, and there never is.

Poor routing: the system always routes me past my house on the highway, then has me circle back. There is no way to get it to take me on the most direct route.

Inaccurate destinations: I set the Nav for a destination on Friday night and it told me I arrived, but I was 2 1/2 blocks away.

Points of Interest: When trying to select a POI, most of the time it is not on the system. This happened last week with 2 Diners that have been in business for over 10 years.

This is so bad that I would use my iPhone instead, but this car does not have CarPlay. Any help will be appreciated, even if this is a case if user error.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sad to tell you, but all of what you mentioned are well known "defects" of Toyota's in-car navi system. "Defects" in a sense of normal operator who expect functional GPS navi system, but for Toyota engineers eyes, it is a finished product with no repairable parts. I suggest getting a Garmin and mounting it on one of the side vent. I recently replaced my 2017 Prime Premium which came with the same 11.6" screen infotainment and navi system as your 2018 Advanced, with a 2020 LE which came with no in-car navi and with a smaller 7" screen. I can't be happier. :D

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. FlyEaglesFly

FlyEaglesFly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Navigation is not as good as google maps or Apple maps but it’s probably about 75-80% effective. On long trips or in urban areas, we’ll check the car navigation against the phone navigation apps.

Have a 2018 Prius Prime Advance, approx 14K miles. Nav screen has frozen twice in last 2 weeks. Anybody else have this problem? Taking the vehicle in for planned maintenance and will have them investigate.

#4 FlyEaglesFly, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2020
  5. Ankana

Ankana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

6. Ankana

Ankana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I too have a 218 Prius Prime ADV. I tried to use the Navigation system for about two weeks and got so frustrated I haven't tried to use it since. Oh and the Voice Command System is a joke. It's like it is hearing a different language. Me: "Call Mom" VCS: "Calling Bob"

7. gene

gene Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was pretty amazed to find that the voice recognition and navigation in the 2021 was almost as bad as in my 2004 Gen 2. It’s insane how little progress they’ve made in 17 (!) years. I think on 10 attempts—and I only kept trying because it got to the point it was funny how badly it was misinterpreting me—I was finally able to enter an address using voice recognition mode. I even “trained” it… I’m convinced Toyota uses the training data to ensure the system intentionally misinterprets the voice used to train the recognition system..

I did manually program in a few destinations in case I’m ever lost and have no cell service. I fully expect if that happens, there is a 50-50 chance the navigation will suggest I drive off a cliff.

We wanted the safety features on the Limited, and my wife wanted the heated steering wheel (that better not peel!), otherwise we would have totally gotten an LE

ems2158 likes this.
  8. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "We wanted the safety features on the Limited, and my wife wanted the heated steering wheel (that better not peel!), otherwise we would have totally gotten an LE."

Expect the steering wheel to peel. It happened to me at 24,000 miles. It cost nearly $1,000 to replace. Get a cover to prevent that from happening.

I didn't do anything to abuse the steering wheel cover. It's just poor quality material.

I have a 2017 Prime Advanced. It's incomprehensible that Toyota has done nothing to improve the horrible nav and voice recognition over 4 years.

#8 ems2158, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    gene likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was a thread here a while back, a guy looking to replace his cracked display (the bigger one IIRC). Eventually he disclosed: it was cracked because he punched it.

gene likes this.
  10. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Except for the dealer telling you there was no later database available - I think it's normal.

As for the database, unless the model/trim you have uses a different nav system SDram - which I doubt - then it should be the same as the rest of the Prius and Toyota line. Look on Amazon. I found one for $35 that was an "April 2020" database (bought in May of 2021). IF the dealer had it, they'd likely ask $200+ for it.

As for the goofy routings - mine tells me to cross a set of train tracks on a street where the crossing has been abandoned (IOW - no longer a crossing) for over 12 years(!) Remember that the database is only as good as the data being put into it. I don't know where Toyota gets theirs - but it's pretty poor.

Our only seems to have a "fastest" and "shortest" option for routes - and neither is the "best" route" (IMHO).

Points of interest - again - it may take years for these to get into the database. Best if you can look up the address on your phone and have the system navigate you to the address.

I don't know if your "Advanced" has "Entune" or something like it - but you can get an Entune app for your phone and look up your destinations there and have the car bluetooth them from the phone. They come in under "saved destinations" on our nav system.

As for the traffic alerts - I don't find them to be especially useful either. There's a screen that will display the ones on your route (if you have a route) but otherwise, I think it will tell you about ALL of them on the road your on and maybe some additional ones as well.

I would opt not to go with an aftermarket system. I've used Garmin as well as a few lesser systems and find they all have inaccuracies that make you wonder what they had in mind. Every source will rake you over the coals for their databases annually. Besides, having a system that is fully integrated into the car is just "cleaner" than tacking something else on.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've thought about this too. Needed to get from north Coquitlam to Van. Int. Airport (YVR) yesterday. I do know the way, but we were heading for an out-of-the-way secondary seaplane terminal, so took a look on Google Maps.

It invariably shows me the "cabby's" route. It looks like speed took precedent over directness, and it is complicated, hopping on/off the freeway, through various (unfamiliar to me) districts, and you really need to be on your toes. I know because I've gamely tried it a few times, ended up missing turns, and just stressing.

I like lower speed, straightforward routes, stay off the freeway (if practical), minimum of transitions, turns, merges. It'd be nice if a navigation system could accomodate indivual preferences like that.

Here's Google Maps proposal:

upload_2021-7-3_8-50-17.png

And my pref:

upload_2021-7-3_8-54-33.png

It's slower, but shorter, and easier on the nerves.

12. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My vote goes to WAZE via CarPlay with real-time road condition updates. Just yesterday on an otherwise routine ride home, we were rerouted from secondary to tertiary roads to avoid a major back-up before we were impacted. A few extra minutes, but when we rejoined the secondary road we could see a complete blockage (major accident) a few hundred feet to our left. Whew... major headache averted!

Real-time is da' only way to fly (er, drive)!

As to the Toyota Navigation App... no thank you.