1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 PRIUS PRIME cheat board/jack/tire wheel cover?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by buggeroffbigliar24, Jul 7, 2022.

1. buggeroffbigliar24

buggeroffbigliar24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I saved one of the 6/32" Nanoenergy tires from the 2018 Prime Advanced, and bought a steel wheel. I wanted to put some kind of wooden box with piano hinging so at least the other side of the battery rear "parcel" area floor could still hold a few small items out of site.
    I'm not much of a mechanic even less a woodworker. Can anyone tell me:
    1) What the box and the wheel/tire on right side within, when looking from hatch, would need TO HELD IT AND THE TIRE IN PLACE in a accident. I am almost stupid enough to try 1/2 screws into that big battery cover (it's just a decorative plate, right, lol?)..BOOOM!
    2) What hardware would you use to affix the box to any sold points I could either screw into or use L or U brackets, like the kinds used for bikes, fencing, shelving? Where are some points I can actually screw them into, or alternate ideas (E.g the L/R side panels are just plastic but could I loop a roof rack cargo type strap tight enough?
    3) What is the closest fabric I can stick on the wood?
    4) IF I make a piano hinge top, wouldn't it kind of have to stop at a weird angle when open, being that the rear seat backs aren't verticle.
    Haven't seen anyone do this...any pics?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a full-size tire installed on a cheap steel wheel as a spare. This is how and where I store it. It is wedged in between the front seat and rear seat, such that it doesn't move much. It is further secured by folding down the rear seat with the headrest removed. I almost never use both rear seats, but when I do, I simply move it to the back on the trunk deck. I don't bother to secure it.

upload_2022-7-7_22-21-30.png