1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius Two used

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ralphgonegolfing, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ralphgonegolfing

ralphgonegolfing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will pick this vehicle up on Monday 6/10/19. I traded in my 2011 Prius Two with 119,000 miles. The only problem ever with it was headlights burning out frequently which Toyota fixed.

I am a little concert with all the added safety features such as blind spot monitoring, lane keeping etc will these be troublesome?

When I test drive the 2018 the ride seemed vastly improved and it seem to have more power.

Will I really like the 2018 ( Gen 4)?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi 1) no, not likely; 2) yes, it's far better car than a 2011!! Enjoy.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have already bought it? Which it sounds like you have....
    Then just enjoy it.
    Sounds like a little buyer remorse insecurity creeping in. -Which often happens.

I haven't driven or owned a "New" Generation Prius. But I haven't really heard any complaints. I think Toyota invests a lot into evolving and improving with each generation.

At this point? I'd just get ready to enjoy your new Prius. I think nearly everyone would say 2011 to a 2018 is an upgrade.

Montgomery and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Troublesome - probably not. Of dubious value? In my opinion, yes. I turned off all of this stuff very shortly after I bought the car. None of it is very sophisticated and the response can be very abrupt or distracting. I have never had a problem keeping my car in my lane, and the car doesn't need to help me.

This car is a large improvement in driving dynamics over the previous generations. The fourth generation moved to the global Toyota vehicle platform and the rear suspension is greatly improved. My son has a Gen 2 that pretty much drives like a refrigerator. The fourth generation drives like a nice car. It will be more quiet, better fuel economy, safer (better body structure, newer technology) and just a better all-around car than your old one. Enjoy!

#4 jb in NE, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will enjoy it very much - just drive!

6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Did they say why the headlights kept burning out? That would be my only concern because those headlights are a single integrated unit. It if burns out the whole thing has to be replaced.

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was on an old PRIUS - they had HID lamps - I was warned to avoid them, as they were very unreliable. His new one has LEDs which should last the life of the car.

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I'd never turn Safety systems off - except maybe Lane Departure if driving down a mountain range.

All you need is one instance of dozing off or being distracted - a fatal crash - and having to explain to the Coroner about why you turned it off - isn't worth the occasional beep annoying you. You could have a few years in jail to contemplate the issue. And potentially an insurance claim rejected - for the RollsRoyce and shopfront your car destroyed.

krmcg likes this.
  9. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've driven for many, many years without these systems and they do nothing to improve my safety. I haven't ever had a crash, dozed off at the wheel, driven off the road, etc. These are false security at best, and annoying on a daily basis. If I get to the point where I need these systems to be safe, I'll give up my license and take the bus.

10. bbunge

bbunge Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe these systems were not made for folks who really learned to drive in cars that were not push a switch and go. Look around when you are on the road. Folks texting and on their phones and other electronic devices. The speed limit to most is a suggestion they ignore. You know of what I speak.
    I really enjoy my 16 Prius and wish it did have a few of the extra whistles and bells. I have taken the old folks driving courses, online, and pay attention to what they advise.

SM-T380 ?

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The HID headlights in the older generations are different than the LED headlights in the Gen 4.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! You will like it. It will be a huge improvement from what you had. If your new (used) 2018 is trim Two, then I don't think it comes with blind spot monitoring. I might be wrong, but that is a higher trim standard, but it maybe possible to add that on Two with an option?

13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is perhaps the root of the problem. People are doing things other than driving the car with full attention. Manufacturers add more driver "aids", which masks the problem and likely encourages continued inattentive driving, since the driver now has the car helping them do what they should be doing. Then more driver aids will be added and the spiral will continue.

I'm all for things that enhance crash surivability, because at that point the crash is either imminent or in progress and the driver is along for the ride. Crush zones, airbags, good seatbelts, safety glass, etc. But those items that interfere with my normal driving of the car (they don't help me, they hinder me) aren't for me.

Not to make light of drunk or impaired driving, but if I had to choose between driving next to a drunk and driving next to a texter, I'd take the drunk. At least they are trying to drive.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They added it halfway through 2017. :(
    Unfortunately, I have an early 2017.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really! Since the blind spot monitoring is not a part of TSS-P, I thought it was an extra option. I don't have blind spot monitoring on my 2017 PRIME Premium. It came only with Advanced trim in 2017 and I think it is still that way for 2018 and maybe for 2019.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Technically they made it available but they put it on all cars and then deducted the cost so it became a mandatory zero cost "option"

#16 Prodigyplace, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Salamander_King likes this.
  17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Wasn't it the Halogen headlamps in the Gen 3 that kept burning out due to a poor earth connection somewhere ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I heard of ballast & heat issues too.

kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There could have been an issue with Halogen, but I don't recall.

I remember when flipping a coin as to whether to buy Samantha or save $8000 and buying a superseded Gen 3 (drove one and that decided me quick smart!!) - one of the issues which people pointed out was the HID continually burning out. From memory it was suggested that the ballast (?) be replaced at the same time - each time. Though, was the HID only used in Gen 2 and earlier Gen 3 cars?

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could be. My son's 2015 Prius v 5 has LED headlights.

alanclarkeau likes this.