1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius wish list

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by elwood22, Mar 22, 2013.

?

Think it's possible?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2013.
  1. Yeah sure!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elwood22

elwood22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 Prius Two ( not II, Roman numerals were for model year 2010) with 14k that I am loving!

Gonna need to replace the '98 Sienna with 206k miles on it in a couple years. I don't really want another minivan that gets terrible mileage but I need my 2nd vehicle to have more space than a hatchback prius (8' pieces of lumber, sofas, whatever)

I would love a Gen II Five plug in that could go 50 miles on battery, get 50 mpg and cost less than, oh let's say 28k. Around 2018, perhaps?

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that's a heck of a first post :)

A PHEV50 minivan for $28k, hmmmm. I'm pretty much not seeing that in 5 years.

I think most would be happier if regualr Prius plugin makes 25 miles EV in 5 years. Minivan, ah, no. Would need huge battery tech breakthrough, now. Haven't heard of that.

3. elwood22

elwood22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I don't think I made it clear enough, I was hoping for a 2nd generation Prius V wagon that would do all that. And heck let's say 30k!

Think that might be possible? ;)

4. elwood22

elwood22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And I can do without the lumber and sofas ;)

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New GenIV Prius is 2016, and possibly refreshed for 2018.

Ok, OP is talking about a Prius v plug-in. When the v came out, I thought the reason we did not get the 3rd row seat is because there may be a plan to introduce a plug in version next year, wrong!

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a PHEV 50. I could sorta see a PHEV20 regular Prius in 5 years, but it will still cost well over $30k.

Problem is the battery technology. Very expensive and the energy density is much less than gasoline.

Read below - US Dept of Energy has stopped alternative vehicle loan programs. 16.6 billion dollars no longer available, ouch.

DOE Puts Brakes on Alternative Vehicle Loans | PluginCars.com

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our only hope is some type of battery breakthrough. i'm not counting on it, but it's always a possibility. most likely small incremental changes as cycledrum said.

8. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Well they have the 7 seater in everywhere else than the US. Don't know why they won't do that? It's something to do with Lithium Ion battery production in the US is too expensive? Everywhere else I guess they have a factory there...I don't know.

Here's to hoping a little larger Prius Alpha for the US

9. Johnprius

Johnprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    (y)(y)

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's happened to me twice now. And I'm catching on, but both times it was an unwanted adrenaline rush.

I get in my Prius, sit down, push the button. I get the blinking warning triangle and the ominous message to put the vehicle in park.

The first time this happened to me, it really worried me, and I tried several times for several minutes to get the Prius started. Finally, I simply stumbled upon the reality that one of my doors wasn't closed properly....Problem Solved.

This second time? Well I still got the immediate adrenaline rush. But checking to make sure my door was closed properly was the 1st thing I did. ----I'm learning.

The Prius is a great automobile. BUT..every automobile I have ever owned, from the simplest most basic utility truck.....to more refined machines had a "Door Ajar" light, or a warning that specifically led you to the problem that a door or hatch was open.

The technological marvel that is The Prius, evidently just tells you to put the vehicle back into park. Then leaves it to YOU to figure out whether it was Professor Plum in the Library with the candlestick or what exactly is going on. Come on Toyota...gives us a clue.

How about a simple "Door Ajar" light....like I think I had on my 1992 stripped down Nissan Pick-Up. OR how about a message more specific to the problem than just return the vehicle to park. Something like...check the doors and hatch...

Toyota gives you a lot with The Prius...but some of the corners they do cut...are amazingly rudimentary and basic.

Jeff68005, Mendel Leisk, WE0H and 2 others like this.
  11. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You also have to have your foot on the brake as well.

12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a door ajar light. Check pg. 498 in the OM. When the car is out of P and the door is ajar, you get the flashing warning light. I am not sure how you got out of park before starting the car (if I read your post correctly).

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no....that's kind of my point. When you sit down and just press start...The Prius's "door is ajar" warning...is simply the flashing triangle and the message to put the car back in park. No explanation as to why. I think the whole process starts the moment you push start and "try" to move the selector knob to Reverse or Drive.

So yes..technically it's "telling you" the door is ajar...but not very specifically. The flashing triangle and the message to put the car back in park...could mean "anything". I'd prefer something as specific as a "A door is ajar" message or specific indicator, that doesn't exist on a Prius.

WE0H likes this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They cut corners alright. I can tell you this ... the 2014 Corolla S is now better to sit in than Prius liftback, even a Prius Four w/ power seat and all. Not that I would buy either of them. Point is, IMO, Prius liftback seriously and quickly needs an all-new version out.

The glut of Prius liftbacks sitting on Fremont Toyota lot is kinda sad. Maybe 120 of them laying around unsold. But, the MPGs are very high, that's for sure, 55.6 and over 500 miles this tank.

15. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tried out some scenarios today. If you are not in P and the door is ajar, you get both the flashing triangle and the door warning on the right side of the dashboard. If you are in P, only the door warning. This makes sense as you might be moving down the road with the door ajar. As I see it, the car is telling you to stop or close the door. Maybe on the 2013 the door warning does not also come on, or perhaps there is a problem in your car that needs to be looked at.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and they cut way back on the horsepower, they gotta add some zip to these things. civic makes it look like it's standing still. agree on the mpg's tho...

WE0H likes this.
  17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you on most things bisco, but not on this. If the Prius has zip, it most likely isn't as fuel efficient as it could be. And after all, that is the whole point of a Prius.

tempehuck and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with you OP. With the flying buttress center console, they are two of the most annoying details of the car. If you or someone else on PC hadn't described the reason to why it happens, I'd now be telling everyone to avoid the Prius. It has some weird electrical gremlin that will tell you to shift to P every once in a while. It's such an AWFUL warning message.

iPhone ?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was being fascetious. just going along with the whiners. :) and for the record, i have never had a problem when starting the car.;)

20. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not think Toyota will be getting rid of the warning messages.