1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019-2022 Prius AWD-e Review Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 24, 2018.

1. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Marking... curious to see if a Prius AWD E can be the sole daily driver for those living in the Northwest and Northern states.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A FWD Prius can, not sure why the AWD-e wouldn’t.

3. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True :) I have a gas guzzling SUV (Lexus LX) that I've been thinking of replacing with a more fuel efficient vehicle. Very nice SUV, lots of room, awesome in snow and low traction conditions, and good cargo room for hauling furniture and Costco trips. All nice except mpg.

So the Prius AWD and the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid has caught my eye. Would be even better if these two AWD vehicles offer a plug in option a la the Prius Prime given my work commute is short.

Looking forward to more reviews.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooh. That’s a nice vehicle! Love the LX (and Land Cruiser)

There are differences in the AWD system. The RAV4 Hybrid will operate more easily in deep snow with a more powerful rear motor.

It appears that the Prius’ AWD-e system is meant for light duty slippery city roads and hard packed snow where you just need a little shove from behind to get going.

Yes a plug-in version would be really advantageous. Mitsubishi is updating the Outlander PHEV with a more efficient 4 cylinder engine and minor improvements to the battery and electric motors for 2019 so it might be worth taking a look when it arrives.

docboy and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    short commute? just put snows on a pip or prime

6. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not ideal in my area, as my residential and work area has plenty of hills and inclines. Just to get into my neighborhood one has to drive up a very steep incline, then another decline to get on my street. Last winter snow storm I've seen many FWD vehicles (and some small SUVs) abandoned on bottom of the hills and on side streets. Meanwhile my LX on all seasons plows right through :)

bisco likes this.
  7. docboy

docboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know, thanks!

8. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Forester XT I been looking to replace originally looking at the 2019 RAV4 hybrid. I wanted a 2016 Prius when it came out but never brought. Now with the additional features offer along with the AWD I am really interested in the 2019 Prius XLE AWD-e.

9. Pattidog1

Pattidog1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Test drove a 2019 Prius AWD e twice and was suprised. Much quieter than a 2018 tested last year. Must be added sound insulation and improved. NVH. Your car hear some noise but not feel it.
    It does go around corners much better I think due to AWD push.
    Could be a replacement for my V wagon. RAV4 is$$$$$. This gives us a choice
    Lastly, never had an issue in winter with snows on my V.

10. PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No sunroof with AWD? :( I just want a base AWD with a sunroof and heated cloth seats for ~$26K.

My 2011 just hit 100k trouble free miles, so no hurry. Maybe they'll expand the options in a year or two?

11. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Saw one at Smithtown Toyota.
    Still waiting for the Prime Advanced.

12. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    New regular Prius is still too low to the ground for catapulting over snow and ice clumps. RAV hybrid would be the way to go for a good compromise with the Highlander. Highlander Hybrid is a beast of Christmas future.

13. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doubt this. The rear motor cuts out at 6 mph, and only re-engages when front wheels slip.

14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They didn't quite say that - not that I could see anyway. They said "Because the AWD-e system is designed to help with launches and lower-speed driving in lower-traction environments, it operates within a fairly constrained range: It is always active from 0-6 mph, and kicks in as-needed up to 43 mph. It’s fully automated -- there’s no way to force it to remain on if the car’s computers don’t think it’s necessary" AND "The Prius AWD-e uses an independent electric, magnet-less rear motor (a Toyota first) to power the rear wheels from 0 to 6 mph, then when needed, up to 43 mph. This system provides the power to the rear wheels to confidently pull away from a stop, yet the on-demand system recognizes when all-wheel-drive performance is not needed to provide great fuel economy."

While they didn't say that it will help with handling - they didn't say that it wouldn't either. I guess we'll find out one day when someone takes the 2 on a slalom, rally circuit or racetrack.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't sure whether to continue adding it to the review repository or start a new thread. LMK what you guys think.

Car Review: 2020 Toyota Prius AWD-e | Driving

16. Media_Tech

Media_Tech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't the Driving reviewer have 'Brake' wrong? My understanding is that 'B' forces the ICE to provide the 'engine braking' that would normally be accomplished by regenerative braking in an attempt to prevent the system from overcharging the traction battery during downhill descents, etc.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The media hasn't gotten the "B" mode in a Prius right since the beginning. It's easier to comprehend on an EV.

B will engage the engine under most circumstances to provide engine braking, yes. Under 18 or 22 km/h, it will keep the engine off and actually provide slightly stronger regenerative braking.

With the onset of EVs, I think most just assume it works the same way as an EV - provide stronger regen.

Aaron Vitolins and mancuz28 like this.
  18. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s always driven me crazy for years how ever review gets it wrong!! If B mode was simply stronger regen, I’d use it all the the time! B mode was basically compliance with road regulations of at least the USA. I guess it can come in handy, but I rarely use it.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is, when you’re testing 100 cars a year, it’s tough to learn everything and even when you do, you might mix them up between models or manufacturers.

I find Alex Dykes from AlexonAuto the most detailed. He tends to mention things that forum members and owners would know. His videos are longer but it’s more informative imo.

RCO and Aaron Vitolins like this.