1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric rated at class-leading 258 miles of range by EPA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heck, if you use smart phone with GPS on, they already know where YOU are all the time. I have a problem with that, so I have GPS and other location information turned off on my phone.

2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So you are the one they are looking for. :D

RCO, Ashlem and Salamander_King like this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If by 'big brother' you mean the manufacturer, sure. As a matter of fact, I prefer it. It is the single biggest reason I like services such as On Star.

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

And in some cases, UN-improvements. I hate the Subaru like feature of disabling autopilot. Or the recent screen crash after upgrades. Hehehe.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    my bettet ½ hates it .... because that's how i know when she's speeding like a bat outa he11.

[​IMG]

#45 hill, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    padroo and Ashlem like this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That would drive me nuts. The way you're describing it makes a pretty solid point against buying it in the first place, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, add in the ability to claw back some of the purchase price upon rejecting an update and I'd go for it.

Though I am curious... I don't get the Subaru reference. I wasn't aware that they had any kind of autopilot?

7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

You can’t downgrade software once upgraded... just have to wait for fix.

Subaru eyesight will disable after 3 warnings. Autopilot used to just warn you, and if you listen, all is fine. Now recently they are doing what eyesight does.
    Imagine if it is disabled. Then you will have to restart your car. In a Tesla, that means you will have to open door and get butt off seat, close the door. Then it works again..... since there is no start button.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I deal with that frequently in my professional endeavors. Not the kind of thing I want spilling over into my personal transportation. I think I will stick to WYSIWG cars as long as I can.

RCO likes this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the problem with People describing things using exaggeration or incorrect information.
    Tesla did not disable autopilot with an update. Screen crashes are possible. In my S I experienced them about twice a year. In my 3, I haven’t experienced it yet.
    The problem with simply saying “screen crash” is that it implies something that is a big deal.
    With a screen crash the console screen reboots. The car is not affected at all. You have full power and control. If you like, you can pull over for the 10-15 seconds that it takes for the screen to reboot.

As for the safety features with regard to auto pilot, I can see that being annoying to people that refuse to hold the steering wheel while driving. After a number of accidents Tesla did add the lock out function if the car perceived someone not holding the wheel after repeated warnings. Frankly, I think Darwinism should be allowed to run its course.
    But, in today’s age of suit happy lawyers, it becomes critical to protect people from themselves.

If someone hates the idea of a car that changes over time, a Tesla isn’t for them.

RCO, Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

A lot of excuses there. A car should not be less useful over time of ownership. I understand some stupid changes to protect stupid owners, but some of the changes are not very smart.

As to annoying “upgrades”. How is getting a blank screen for navigation map acceptable? This is only recent issue since Tesla stop downloading maps ahead of time. That looks to be Tesla wanting their cell carrier to stop complaining about over usage than user experience. Are you saying this is acceptable because it is Tesla?

If it is one bug or two in the car is one thing, and we can live with. But it seems to be constant new bugs more often in the last couple of months than before. Even autopilot is less functional than 6 months ago when everyone loved it for no sudden stops.... I guess you love that bug too.

As an Engineer, I love this just finding new bugs to talk about as an owners. And in some cases Tesla will change their design with better suggestions, like the entry/exit mode with seat/wheel. And fixed the screen crash in 2 weeks because of us complaining. Same with computer crash and scream from Dec 2017 owners experienced... Tesla gave a fixed in a few weeks. But you seem to want to just live with it and stay quiet.... in which case Tesla will not fix it if we stay quiet....which seems like newbie 3 owners have no experience yet.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have a Model 3? The reason I ask is I don't see it listed in your user profile or signature. Perhaps you might add your ride and City, State.
    I suppose we could say you just came here to complain about a car you don't own. An exceptionally shallow life like many 'Prius skeptics' who in the past came here to trash talk our rides.

Bob Wilson

#51 bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Close, but not quite. It boils down to hardware vs. software.

I very much want a car that changes over time. That's what I've always had. The difference is that I want fine-grained control over the changes, and I get that by occasionally adding or replacing equipment on the car.

It's been a real challenge in recent years, but I'm hooked. I don't think I would be satisfied by accepting a car the way it left the factory and then only receiving updates via software. Especially if I can't contribute some changes to the software.

The Hyundai looks like there are at least some possibilities that suit my taste. Happy to see another choice on the EV menu.

13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I got a model S90D. You know... the car that owners help to beta test for Tesla so you can have your 3 for cheap. Even some of the battery in the 90 was a beta test. Just for fun, what else you drive that help push the car tech besides a Prius and 3? I had a 2005 Prius. 2012 Rav4ev(a car that most have never heard of, much less own), and my S90D. Does this car list sound like I am anti-EV to you? I have been here a long time in this forum, and have posted a lot less having fun with Tesla powered cars the last 5+ years. And you probably don’t even know the “fun” with Rav4ev ownership seeing Tesla and Toyota blaming each other.... love that check EV System error coming up on forums daily.... considering there are less than 2600 cars built.

Do not have to let the world know what I have, you know. I think there is a word for that. And in the Bible, it can be one of the deadly sin too. Hell, half my family and friends still don’t know I moved 500 miles away for better school for kids, much less what I drive.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Dipper, many of the issues you mention are not universal. Some are design changes and while some consider them improvements to safety, others consider them negatives.
    I have not had many of the issues you talk about. I have also had issues you haven't mentioned.
    In my model 3, I have not experienced any screen reboots while driving.
    I have had some issues with the Autopilot/Driver assist, but not more than in any other car with advanced driver assist packages.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Knowing your ride means we share a common vocabulary and the experiences of being an early adopter. Also, West Coast or Western Rockies works for geography.

My understanding is there may be a Model S refresh in the works. Using lessons learned from the Model 3, this could reduce weight, parts count, cost, and improve performance. Have you heard anything?

Bob Wilson

Zythryn likes this.
  16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

There are a lot more problems talking to owners on TMC than I experienced. We get to help push a solution unlike every car makers out there. Guess that is the fun part with these cars. If people will not be happy to talk about problems, and hopefully get fixed... should stay with Toyota.

I still hope Toyota listens more... I want my wife to drive a Toyota for life just so I don’t get a call to get she and her broken down car home.

17. dipper

dipper Senior Member

All rumors. There is another rumor that it would not be until 2022. That seems to make the most sense as Tesla will be introducing Model Y in 2019 for 2020 production run... and hell will break lose with another cash drain and deadline nightmare.... plus their initial quality problems unlike Toyota. Elon Musk needs to steal Toyota’s production people, not Audi.

Don’t forget the Semi, then pickup, and roadster.

As long as more Model S are constantly being sold year to year.... they will not change with the body. But certainly to keep the upper end buyer from going to the Model 3.... like me itching for a PM3, cheaper than me selling my car now. Wife will kill me for swapping another car, hehehe. Upgrades like better batteries packaging and motors from the 3, as Model S can overheat easier than the 3. We are talking about autobahn driving here, not US freeways. Bigger batteries of course. These upgrades will allow faster supercharging, making buyers want the older design S more. And hopefully a real working hardware v3 for autopilot and autonomous driving, Musk said current owners can upgrade soon. You know him, soon could mean months or year.

One reason I want Hyundai and VW pushing Tesla, we all benefit when they fight. Too bad Toyota wants no part of this war.

#57 dipper, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, I would hold my breath for the typical large revamp of the S.
    Tesla makes constant engineering upgrades to their cars, rather than waiting for new model years.
    They have even made some changes to the look of the car (mainly the front fascia).

And I absolutely agree, competition improves the entire marketplace.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this has been an informative and interesting kona thread, thanks all!(y)

RCO, markabele and Zythryn like this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First off, I'm not in the market for a Model S but two changes make sense:
    • PM motor - this would significantly improve performance and range.
    • 2170 cell battery pack - again less weight for more range and performance.
    The other changes would be to simplify the cabin to improve manufacturing. . . . On second thought . . .

Hire a cabin pimp designer to add all of the flash, bobbles, and glitz. Knobs, lights, expensive trim, do-hickie seats with velour cover:
    [​IMG]
    Raise the price to $750,000. Make one demo version and send it around to the usual auto pimp writers. Don't forget to add a 500 lb front and rear bumper ballast.

Bob Wilson

RCO and Leadfoot J. McCoalroller like this.