1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Prius & Corolla Hybrid Reveal - Live Video

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The Corolla is a sedan, the Prius is a liftback.

The only way I can see that is if the next gen Prius becomes one of those liftback/sedan shapes a la Audi A7. (Since there's that rumoured SUV/crossover based on the spyshots we saw last year which could become the cargo hauler)

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For Canadian members, the regular Prius will be offered in Base and Technology trims. The AWD-e version will be offered in Base, Technology and Technology with Advanced.

So in an odd twist of events, Canadians can actually get a fully loaded AWD-e Prius. (Usually the US gets a nicely loaded one and we get some weird combination leftover). You can't get the fully loaded version in FWD (which is fine I guess).

It might also help that TCI expects AWD-e to account for 65% of Prius sales.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting - the new COROLLA just Hatched here - but no sign of a new sedan.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got the hatchback too but so far, it's targeted at the younger buyers so no hybrid option yet.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Return to core values?
    This reveal, although introducing an entirely new product in the Prius Line with the Prius with All Wheel Drive, sounded much more like reveals from the past, that is once again touting advanced technology, and stellar fuel efficiency.

And personally I'm glad to hear to it. IMO being a flagship of advanced technology, and a record setter as far as fuel efficiency are the hallmarks of Prius.

When the Gen 4 was originally introduced, IMO Toyota moved away from touting fuel efficiency and technology. It was originally introduced with a emphasis on it's mainstream no compromise performance and "good looks". Which is fine, but IMO not the core values most Prius owners value the most.

Last reveal, we got Hollywood like shining rain streaked streets, and Prius as nearly a luxury or sports car vibe.

I have no problem with Prius getting better looking, and driving with more "sports car" ,mainstream feel. That's evolution. But I'm also glad to hear Prius once again being advanced on what it has ALWAYS been, and that is a technology forward machine, that offers industry leading efficiency.

I'm really interested in The Prius All Wheel Drive.

When I had my Prius, I felt it really was NOT particularly good in snow or ice..or winter conditions. In fact? I defaulted to when conditions got too bad, I simply did NOT drive my Prius.

An All Wheel Drive Prius that might offer good or above average capabilities in those conditions I think is great.

I await some tangible facts, testing and comparison, as to what exactly All Wheel Drive adds to the Prius. How much better does it make the Prius in snow or winter conditions than just a regular Prius being driven carefully with say, a good set of winter tires.

But I'm enthusiastic and excited about the move in this direction.
    Awaiting stories in the future from owners, and how they feel about the Prius All Wheel Drive.

KrPtNk likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I'm interested in the AWD as well. However, I'd like to see how much the price premium is.

I'll have to disagree with you on the winter driving capabilities though. Our Prius vehicles are some of the *best* vehicles we have had for winter driving. Most of that is due to better tires. Certainly not quite as good as AWD though....but I think AWD is somewhat overrated. Subaru has done awesome marketing to make people think they *need* AWD....when in fact, many don't.

But an AWD that doesn't seem to sacrifice MPG? That makes me very interested. Toyota's AWD-E is a really well designed system.

7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I think the deal breaker for me on the Prius is the battery. Even with cold weather protection, I don't think the nickel metal hydride would be better. I can see more recharging from breaking so a bigger lithium battery would be a better and bigger benefit.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Li-Ion batteries int the Gen 4 Prius are about the same capacity as the Ni-MH ones.The charging experience is similar/

9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The AWD-e models use a newly developed compact Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery that is designed to provide excellent performance in cold-weather conditions. The AWD-e battery fits under the rear seat area and does not impact the luggage capacity. The FWD models will tout a Lithium Ion battery."

Reading on PriusChat over the last 3 years, I see many complaints about Li-ION in cold weather getting poor economy. EVs have the same problem - I read recently that TESLAs get about 20% hit in cold climates, and Nissan LEAVES had even more. Some of that could be cabin heating, as well as winter tyres not being LLR too.

Personally - I'm more confident with NiMH which has been proven over almost 2 decades. Li-ION is still relatively an infant - and if our SmartPhones and Laptops are anything to go by, I'm not as confident with Li-ION long term.

We only get NiMH in Australia - not sure if our 2019 models will get the new version.