1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 prius crossbar endcap key

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by salmburg, Apr 5, 2020.

1. salmburg

salmburg New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Have Prius 2019 PW301-47009 roof crossbars, but have lost keys to the crossbar endcaps. Apparently keys are included in endcap kit PW301-47001, for $62.00 but not individually. Does anyone on this forum have an extra key they would be willing to part with? It is a round key, like a motorcycle key, but slightly larger diameter.

2. PriusRookie2021

PriusRookie2021 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you ever get a key? I have a 2017 and don't have the crossbar endcap key either. Can't seem to find this little part anywhere online, other that as part of the kit you mentioned.

3. PriusRookie2021

PriusRookie2021 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same problem, and tried for months with dealer to get replacement key. so I made my own. (1) find a screw driver with removable tip, and remove the tip. This would leave you with the handle, rod, and at the end, a hollow tube, (2) find a small plastic wire connector and press it into the hollow end of the screwdriver. about half or a third of it should still be sticking out. (3) with a candle or match or heatgun, heat up / soften the wire connector. (4) while hot and soft, press the connector firmly onto the key area of the rack and hold for 5 seconds.

The pattern on the inside of the wire connecter will now match that of the gears on the luggage rack, and you will now have a tool to turn the knob to unlock the car racks

4. Daddychin

Daddychin New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I bought a used OEM roof rack but didn't come with the key, so I ended up drilling two small holes and used the tips of needle nose pliers to turn the lock, works well.

5. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    OK, I've been there. I bought the new package of four just to get the key and one end-cap. You may not believe this, but there are different keys - I guess to prevent theft. I didn't mind destroying what was left of the old end-cap to get that one off, but the key that came with the package of four new end-caps is a different number (IIRC they are numbered for the sizes) and a different size, and it only now fits the new ones I have.
    Which raises a question as to - how many different keys are there?

This is also why they won't just sell you a key. You get the key made for your set and that's it.