1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Prius Midcycle Refresh Details

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by JosephG, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly... the next thing that'll replace touchscreens (we're looking 10-20 years down the road, so not any time soon) is holographs (so an even cleaner dashboard design cause now there's no more weird tablets sticking out or giant screens) as well as 3D warnings/alerts for the instrument cluster.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I knew USA got them - but for some dumb reason, we didn't get them in Australia - it's awful.

Don't worry about FOGS - they're hopeless anyway. Instead of a flat low beam, they're quite dull, but spray light every which way, and in fog are worse on than off.

That photo in #416 looks like real buttons. I haven't seen one in a showroom, so can't confirm.

This is the latest RAV4 Brochure - which also looks like buttons:
    upload_2019-9-13_15-0-26.png

#422 alanclarkeau, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    bump bump

for those recently asking what the differences are.
    there may have been (smores) some more changes for 2022

this thread was buried 37 pages back

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. AmazingFacts

AmazingFacts Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Does anyone have any info on how exactly the AWD system works "then when needed up to 43 mph"? Does the AWD kick more and more when the steering is turned, or going up/down a grade like the 3rd gen Ravs?

"The Prius AWD-e uses an independent electric, magnet-less rear motor (a Toyota first) to power the rear wheels from 0 to 6 mph, then when needed, up to 43 mph."

5. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I may be wrong but I believe after 6 mph it’s only activated if slip is detected.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The same thing?

7. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Lol sooo science fiction. Good luck with that with sun streaming in your window. johnny cab lives!

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It might sound funny to some and possibly rightly so, but the latest news reported on msn and yahoo about - - Scientists have seen inside a blackhole for the first time - at least the first one I read at yahoo a week or two ago, was that scientists have explained that what they are seeing looks something like a hologram and are beginning to develop new theories from the results gathered so far.
    How Scientists Captured the First Image of a Black Hole - Teachable Moments | NASA/JPL Edu

https://www.space.com/first-black-hole-light-echo-discovery

Back in the mid 90's scientists were talking about both holographic data storage and visual projections. So I've been following the holographic story for a while. One of the issues that is slowing down development for public consumption is that it's fairly difficult to program intereactive holograms with sensor points within the hologram to make the hologram interact with humans like a touch screen on a cell. But, projector size like most everything else computer related in shrinking in size exponentially, so as soon as the batteries get enough power to run the projectors, it's possible that a device the size of Derek Zoolanders' cell could be projecting personal interactive holograms eventually. Just when is anyones guess, presently!
    Humans !

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You misread.

First, these aren't "latest", but datelined April 2019 and July 2021. The first was all over mass media when it came out, such as here:
    This is the first photo of a black hole | CNN

Second, they are not 'seeing inside a black hole' at all. They are imaging the light from behind bent around the BHs by their strong gravity, and showing the BH's silhouette. And also seeing X-ray reflections off the accretion disk, with frequency shifts.

Third, where are you getting this 'new' hologram stuff? Neither article mentions any hint of it.

Do you have other links that mention a hologram?

#429 fuzzy1, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @fuzzy1
    I did't bother linking the yahoo news blip article, as per your post and my perception of what I read in it, it just adds more confusion than actually provides useful data other than raising awareness of the research being done concerning black holes. Since you asked about other links, here is the link I didn't add to my post above.
    Astronomers discovered what’s inside a black hole for the first time ever
    The link above looks vaguely familiar, though not anywhere near exact content of what I read initially a few days ago.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ That particular story is yet another example of a headline writer not reading or not understanding the article being headlined, and ends up writing a headline that is flat out wrong. The underlying article is interesting in its own right, and does have value, but is still just another theoretical discussion of just a few of many concepts and possibilities. But the headline is junk, the story it isn't anything about what astronomers have just seen.

Under standard quantum mechanics, there can't be an inside to a black hole. The event horizon is a hard firewall. But we originally got black holes from general relativity, not from quantum mechanics.

Quantum mechanics and general relativity are among the most successful and accurate physical theories ever created, yet are fundamentally in conflict with each other. The event horizon of a black hole is just one of the places where they collide. The above article does explore a potential solution path. Actual demonstrated future solution will be Nobel Prize-worthy, maybe many prizes.

vvillovv likes this.