1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Prius Prime Safety Connect Customer Support Sales Pitch Canceling

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PieceOfPrius, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I know. But again the actual cost of SIM for communication can be less than what Toyota charges if it is ONLY being used for the Safety Connect emergency transmission which is what the subscription is for. In any case, it is for Toyota's benefit to extract as much data as it can to be used for their research and marketing purpose that may or may not be in the interest of every owner. I certainly do not want to volunteer my location data and driving record for their profit-making if I don't have to.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought the subscription also included the other connectivity features, or does Toyota separate them?

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are talking about Safety Connect which includes an Emergency Assistance Button, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Automatic Collision Notification, and a Stolen Vehicle Locator, and Remote Connect which includes starting, locking/unlocking doors and charging or climate control and other functions using a compatible smart device, then they are listed as separate services but under the umbrella term "Connected Services".

My understanding is that, in order to use any of the Connected Services functions, you must have a paid subscription (or within the free trial period) and an active ToyotaApp account registered to the vehicle for the Safety Connect service. But I think you are correct in that for some models the Remote Connect services will be included if one has a subscription to Safety Connect for a PP. But it may be a separate subscription depending on the car.

For one thing, Toyota no longer lists pre-2019 PPs on the list of supported cars for the Connected Sevices. For the 2020 PP, they are listed as separate services and Remote Service is not available (see below) but for 21 and 22, both Safety Connect and Remote Connect are included in either 1 year trial period for LE or for the 3 years trial period on XLE and Limited.

Toyota now has several different subscription plans, but they don't clearly say what subscription fees pay for what services.

SOURCE: Connected Services
    upload_2023-3-19_11-52-59.png

I just learned that for 2023 PP, SE and XSE with a small LED will have to pay a subscription for the Remote Connect service, while upper trims with a large display will have a 1-year trial on the Remote Connect. All trims of the PPs and Prius will have a 10-year free trial of Safety Connect. So, yes, they are going to separately charge the subscription for the Safety Connect and Remote Connect fees starting with the 2023 models.

upload_2023-3-19_12-8-26.png

#23 Salamander_King, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    Trollbait likes this.
  4. PieceOfPrius

PieceOfPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also worked in customer service and tech service. Those jobs suck. But if I simply can’t cancel over the web and their app because they intentionally are shoving a subscription down our throats, then that shouldn’t be my problem and I have no patience for that, just like I don’t owe telemarketers a second of my time. I just hang up on them.

bisco likes this.
  5. PieceOfPrius

PieceOfPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    as for Toyota possibly not making any money off of this, I think that’s false. Why the high pressure sales strategy? Also, what’s the cost of an Amazon prime or Netflix subscription these days? Once they get you in, you’ll never get out until you hit that breaking point. So if something isn’t profitable today, they’ll figure out a way to hamstring you in a few more years.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are making money for sure. But my point was that the high pressure to keep you in a loop is not so much for the subscription fees, but they want to keep extracting the data from your car. The fact that the new 2023 models now include 10 years of FREE Safety Connect trial subscription is the reason I believe this to be the case.

BTW, I had a hard time opting out (i.e. canceling) the Safety Connect on my 2020 PP. It took several phone calls to the Toyota Customer Service Center and a long conversation with the rep. This was during my Free trial period. Here was my write-up on that incident.
    No more Entune for 2020 Prius Prime, but...

That was one of the reasons that on my 2021 PP Limited, I canceled the Safety Connect as soon as I purchased the car.

#26 Salamander_King, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    PieceOfPrius likes this.
  7. PieceOfPrius

PieceOfPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I suppose to some degree subscription fees when it comes to vehicles began with separate GPS units followed by satellite radio. But I didn’t realize Tesla charged extra for their autopilot. For some reason I thought it was baked into their vehicles once you paid for an initial fee. This is starting to make Comma.aI more attractive.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your description in thee last sentence is exactly how Tesla charges for AP and/or FSD.
    Tesla also allows the OPTION of payin a monthly fee for FSD instead of the up front fee.

AKA, AP is available as an option upon purchase. FSD is as well.

9. PieceOfPrius

PieceOfPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Haha this is assuming that Toyota’s highly unreliable remote start feature even reliably worked 50% of the time in my area. It never really did so we defaulted to using the key fob at our window.

I know you’re 100% correct but it’s ridiculous. I mean, don’t the majority of us all not carry cellphones in out pockets these days that perform these same services arguably way better?

It’s funny because I bought a $110 Carplay radio off of Amazon a couple of months ago for a 2005 Sienna a family member gave to me. System works better than my 2019 PPA which I can’t upgrade to Carplay. Anything satellite just gets routed through my phone. GPS options are even better. This on a much smaller screen which is sadly more useful.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a few things about the 2019 PPA (Adaptive cruise, sensors, and HUD) but I feel like the large screen is a total confusing waste.

bisco likes this.
  10. PieceOfPrius

PieceOfPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The whole thing to me is more about principle. $10 isn’t a big deal for something that actually works BUT $10 here and there all starts to add up. Then before you know it they’re charging double and you’ve lost track.

I do wonder if they’re more transparent in Japan or if they pull these shady subscription plans over there.

I hate to say it but when I bought the car at the dealership they presented me with so much paperwork and never mentioned it was a “trial” period for two years. I also had a screaming 6-month old in a car seat next to me (we were at the dealership for hours) that I was trying to keep quiet and just get through the piles of signatures and whatnot. The dealership was anxious in getting me out the door because of the kid was upsetting other customers.

When I bought the higher level trim, I would’ve assumed it included most of the bells and whistles and basic functionality such as car starting the car via key FOB was included…

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Basic Autopilot is standard. It is dynamic cruise control and lane keeping. Enhanced Autopilot adds more functions; it can follow a route on the highway. FSD gets the ability to recognize stop signs and lights, so extends these functions to off the highway. The current prices for them is $6000 and $15k. The subscription for FSD is because many people are going to pass on spending 33% more on a car for the feature.