1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2019 Prius Ready for Sunshine or Snow at 2018 LA Auto Show

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Subaru I included as an example was the high output (212hp) model, good for about 19MPG in mixed use, and that's on premium grade fuel.

Only allowing myself a sliver of facetiousness, I would expect the tesla truck to include a separate 24" touchscreen for each hand, sunken living room and a built-in patio heater for tailgating. And an MSRP keyed to existing full size trucks, so maybe $130k (after incentives)

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My original example in my mind's eye was a 600hp vehicle... The same vehicles that Tesla's stock model 3 is beating at the drag strip every weekend. Of course in reality... I'm that guy in the slow lane annoying the truck drivers for being too slow in my 11 year old Prius with 50% battery capacity already lost because I'm too busy working on my friend's battery packs to have time to work on my own.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We enjoyed our Jeep in the early 70s, as we would roll across the sand dunes of both Glamis and the Pismo Beach areas. One thing many of us observed was that all-wheel drive allowed Sports Enthusiast to get stuck about 10% farther out. The moral of that story is a good positraction axle will just about save everyone's keister when push comes to shove.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...obviously The Prius is going to be outfitted with a collapsible Snow shovel and a Parasol.

Mendel Leisk, Prodigyplace and hill like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guessed a plow blade & a solar roof. :whistle:

6. Is the snow shovel to be offered on the Advanced Boondock Logger package? (Advanced for advanced in years) :LOL:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget the Toyota custom traction carpets with Prius logo that you put under the tires too!

I mean if everybody liked having fix-a-flat instead of a spare tire in the plugin, why not go all out and bring that advanced tech to all Prius....

8. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    No one is stopping you from buying a Tesla. You're on Prius forum if you hadn't noticed.

You're right, AWD is not a replacement for winter tires. I think most people know this.

#48 Prashanta, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2018
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My experience driving home yesterday says otherwise.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose it depends on conditions and how you drive. i routinely see all wheel drive pass me at a fast clip in inclement weather.
    there's no substitute for safe driving. getting stuck is another thing.

Zythryn and padroo like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose there's a gap between knowledge and action (knowing it works and actually spending money to buy a set)

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... Do you really think I'd still be on this forum if nothing was stopping me from getting a Tesla? The archaic primitive Prius is how poor people save huge on gas. I just finished an 1,800 mile road trip to visit family through all the insane fires all over California and I spent less than $100 on gas over the past 8 days of driving every day.

I'm on PriusChat to help people and discuss Prius repair skill development/knowledge, as well as the future of car technology, not to prove my loyalty to stick in the mud car makers like Toyota who take decades to release "advanced" technology that's not really advance at all compared to future of car makers like Tesla who innovate and execute at ten times the speed of the dying dinosaurs of car making.

And don't worry, soon as I get a job with Tesla, or better yet own a Tesla, I'll move to their forum and likely never return to this one.

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea, they get stuck better. :)

The Prius with less than a 5 inch front end with AWD will become a snow plow.

bisco likes this.
  14. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Ok, what would make the Prius NOT archaec and remain a vehicle that helps poor people save on gas?

#54 Prashanta, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2018
    PriusCamper likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And all levels lose spare tire, to accomodate the shovel. :rolleyes:

walterm likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For starters instead of having to give a 10 year / 150K mile warranty in CARB states, they should of simply required them to sell a battery reconditioning system with every vehicle which would greatly extend lifespan of battery pack... Also they should open-source all their computer code so we can upload a PriusChat version of vehicle firmware. So much of society's slow technological advancement and adaptation to alternative energy is the capitalistic BS that you have to control your product so only you can profit off it... If we were to rescind the right to hack laws and prevented walled-gardens like what the jerks at Apple do, we'd be ten or twenty years ahead in technological innovations.

For example in the early 2000's I had an Archos MP3 player. The company open sourced it's code and you could download advanced firmware that hundreds of geeks had hacked and added features, games, so many options, all at no cost to the user or the manufacturer. That's how we can quickly solve so many problems in this world.

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tesla locks down their technology just like Apple. Their firmware is totally secret. You can't purchase replacement parts for DIY repairs. Aftermarket parts come from eBay, not the parts counter at a dealership.

hill likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some have bought parts from Tesla for DIY door handle repairs, and it isn't like Toyota or the others are open with their firmware.

19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Tesla has just published a parts manual IIRC.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    why not ... we are on our 2nd Tesla, d it doesn't stop me from loving to be here - even more so than on the Tesla group. Besides, MANY here love other stuff - for being what it is. It's like my grandkids, I love all of them, even though some of their skills are deficient in some ways, while others are wonderful in different Avenues. I still love them all.
    Tesla has no dealerships, first of all. ... also .... I'm sorry, but that firmware miss-statement is simply untrue. Tesla recently released their entire parts / ordering catalog - series' for both the early versions of Model S, recent versions of s, and the X as well. Model 3 to be released in the not-too-distant future as well. As for their firmware, that's not true either. Numerous people who regularly / successfully hack their systems are given full access - with the hopes that security elements can be increased even further. It's not that they won't give firmware to every moron, they simply release it to people who have shown their self to be worthy of the numerous safety tasks involved. If they just dold it out Willie Nellie, can you imagine the lawsuits? .... as people end up driving themselves off of cliffs because their car wouldn't respond to (say for instance) steering wheel or brake commands, because some numbskull, lowbrow tool has borked up the firmware?
    One of their most prolific firmware editors (non Tesla employee) has copies of every OTA Edition that they have ever put out. Some have even used him to roll back Version 9 to version 8 because some owners have serious dissatisfaction for the "latest & greatest" GUI layouts, despite the fact that the latest & greatest is the only way one can activate some of the most advanced auto pilot driving features delivered OTA, to date.
    Yes, they have been very slow to bring Parts ordering about, but it's not because their anal. It's simply because it's a new company for crying out loud. Sure, after seven or eight decades you have a great source of parts. I doubt Henry Ford was mailing out Parts & repair manuals at year 5 or 7 of the company's first coming into existence.

#60 hill, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Trollbait and RobH like this.