1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2019 Prius restyling

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pilotgrrl, Apr 11, 2018.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahlight, so the prius gen 4 did get in japan as u said in 2015... But as usual, there is absolutely no valuble information to get from these japanese sites and videos...

But if it does come to USA, it comes to EU as well, ive read that it was first showcased in UK in 2016... And was an option there, even tho this is the first time i have ever heard about a four wheel drive prius. And UK is just across the pond from me in Norway lol. Here we couldve really needed the 4wheeldrive version aswell, seems really weird that toyota sells it in Japan where there isnt as cold and shiz as in Norway, Canada, and various states in US as colorado and alaska.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. It's the first we've heard of this.

Yes E-Four has been available on the Gen 4 in Japan since launch but it was a pretty weak rear electric motor. Perhaps with the launch of the new RAV4 Hybrid, there's been advancements in the electric AWD front and there's an improved setup coming for Gen 4.5 which is good enough to deal with US snow (I'm thinking mountains and east coast type snow).

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

The eFour is on the Lexus UX hybrid... not Rav.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wouldn't call it weak.

e-4WD? | Page 8 | PriusChat

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The US is four wheel drive crazy, it will sell like hot cakes. People that had no interest in the Prius will at least look at one now. JMO

ShenmueTacos likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe that UK has the AWD version - certainly isn't here - Japan only from what I've heard.

7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are 2 Toyota dealerships in Colorado Springs. Neither show anything about the 2019 Prius, with or without AWD. Somebody should call Boulder Toyota and try to order one.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Being a single-source, I suppose it's possible that it's wrong or at least that they broke embargo.

9. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.. I did see it on a UK site that said they sold it in 2016... Even tho i have never ever heard of it. There is one for sale in NZ, but it says its imported... Toyota Prius E-FOUR 2016 | Trade Me
    [​IMG]

What i really dont understand tho, is why its necessary in Japan and not "necessary" any other places that actually has snow and ice...? It also said it uses the Camry platform.

But what the heck is this? It says on a site that this is the 2019 Prius V? That its turning into an SUV. It does have the Prius Gen4 front end for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The front looks like they got rid of the ugly update bumpers, and smoother like the original "v" - though you can't tell for sure till they take the wrap off.

2016 2014
    upload_2018-10-22_23-5-48.png upload_2018-10-22_23-6-13.png

[ from What’s Hot And What’s Not in the 2019 Toyota Lineup ]

NOTE - SEEMS TO NEED CRASH HELMETS!!!!

2019 Prius V

Despite being one of the most revolutionary cars in history, the Toyota Prius still doesn’t get the love from most car aficionados out there. Its appliance-like shape, plasticky interior, and driving mechanics of a lawnmower choke all the fun this econobox could have potentially had. Despite being shunned by the gearhead society, however, the Prius sold well and it’s still going strong. So strong in fact, that it produced a couple of spin-offs along the way. The supermini Prius C and MPV Prius V both failed to achieve the commercial success of their role model, but were valiant and memorable attempts, nonetheless. The latter was actually discontinued after MY 2017, but that was only a short-term move by the Japanese, it would seem. The fully redesigned Prius V is making a comeback for MY 2019 and joining the rest of Toyota models as a crossover this time around. The Japanese are obviously looking to cash in on the SUV craze whenever that’s possible and the Prius crossover actually seems like a good move.

Apart from a radical change in design, the 2019 Toyota Prius V is also switching to company’s new TNGA platform, which should help reduce weight and noise levels in the cabin among other things. Most importantly, it should also improve the new Prius V’s handling by making it sportier than its predecessor. As before, the Prius V will most likely share its conventional sibling’s powertrain, which means it’ll be motivated by a 95-hp 1.8L 4-cylinder internal combustion engine and a duo of electric motors for a net 134 horsepower. Even a more powerful Camry powertrain shouldn’t be excluded, as such a setup would greatly boost the Prius V’s sales which, in no small part, suffered precisely because of the outgoing model’s anemic setup.

[​IMG]

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The rav4 hybrid has it in the US. It is hoped that the new system will be better than current, but afaik no one has tested it yet in slippery conditions. Only press released data of 30% more powerful rear motor (mg3) for the 2019 rav4 hybrid due to be released early next year.

Tesla introduced their quite good electronic awd system back in 2014, and Toyota should have had plenty of time to study it. Toyota's hybrid awd system dates all the way back to 2005 with the 2006 lexus rx hybrid.

#251 austingreen, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  12. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i really didnt mind the 2017 Prius V lol, i still think it looks better then the 2013.

And the new Prius V cleary uses the GEN 4-pre face lift headlights, bumper and grill, ill try to badly photoshop the wrap off lol, It might have the same fog lights as the Gen4, but since i cant see them... I just colored over it lol, this does give a basic idea of the looks tho.
    [​IMG]

but What i STILL DONT UNDERSTAND, is why Toyota dont add any extra HP for their "sporty" cars.. Like what the heck... They have the engines... use them... they couldve put in the 2L 180hp hybrid in the SUV atleast... or the 2.5L 250hp from the new camry. And atleast let it be an option for the normal prius, its getting really annoying that toyota keeps making slow "sporty" cars, and that on purpose. It comes a new yaris sport Y20 also now to celebrate 20 years of yaris, its supposed to be "sporty" but has the same engine as the normal one...

13. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That paint color is also Japan only. It reduces the amount of infrared absorbed from sunlight.

As why Japan needs it. They are a resource poor nation. They do not have road salt or other snow melts to spread around. That's why the first Hilux/Tacoma to the US had a bed that rusted out. Toyota didn't know how to design for road salt then.

Japan does get serious snow in some locations, too.
    [​IMG]

The Rav4h has a 'full' power AWD like the RX.

The E-four is a low power, part time AWD system that pretty much only works from a stop and crawling speeds. Yes, that is really what people in the US actually need, but not what they want.

My local Chevy dealership had Spark EV pamphlets on display, despite the car never coming here. They got them by mistake. Wish I grabbed one.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It works up to 31mph. If you need 4WD then the conditions are bad enough that you shouldn't be going that fast.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is low speed compared to what other AWD systems offer. People get upset when they find out the safety nannies don't work under all conditions after a crash. They'll get upset if they get in a crash at 40mph, and find out their Prius' E-four system wasn't working then.

Then people buying AWD in the US also want it for the performance enhancement.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's no performance enhancement unless you have enough power to spin the tires. My Prime can spin the tires below 10mph so there's no 4WD performance enhancement above that speed without additional power.

18. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Excited to see the new design. My take is Toyota will just modify bumpers, light housings and maybe front fender shape to keep costs down. Hopefully with the new headlight housing the blank plastic triangle (lower trims) is removed all together. A more traditional (flat) bumper would be cool but in the back of my mind they might go full Predator. Tick tock

19. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, its just gnna look somewhat like the prime, as u see on the purple prius on the first page of this thread.

I doubt its change any more then on these pics, there is no new engines or anything either, wouldve loved to see it get the 2L 180hp... But i guess toyota is gonna keep the prius "efficient and slow"... A GS/GR-sport version of it with the 180hp hybrid engine wouldve been super cool, as the trim 7 on the japan 2013-2015 prius G-sports models.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This GR-sport prime shouldve been made with the 2L or the 2.5L hybrid 180hp/240hp hybrid engines, now thats something they wouldve sold alot of.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Tideland Prius and CoolPrius like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I'm going through the seven stages of grief, just accept that the designers are happy on their hell-bound train, keep buffing up my 3rd gen.

CoolPrius and alanclarkeau like this.