1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Prius XLE AWD-e Torque PIDs?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Invertedblue, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Invertedblue

Invertedblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I've been searching for hours now but have only run across threads and videos that are about 1st and 2nd gen PIDs for Torque. Has there been any work done on the newer models and especially the rear motor?

I would love to see the rear motor output and if the friction brakes are being activated.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TOYOTA don't publish TORQUE figures for their Hybrids - this is RAV 4 (Australia)
    upload_2019-10-22_15-47-2.png

The rear motor on PRIUS AWD is listed as 5kW and, I think I read somewhere 40 lb-ft of torque, but it's not in TOYOTA's literature.

I did see "why" they don't publish a total Torque figure explained - that it's a constantly, and widely variable figure. The electric motor has maximum torque at ZERO RPM. The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) has a fairly typical petrol engine torque curve. Oh - and there are 2 Electric Motors on the AWD-e (and MG1, though I think MG1 only acts as a motor when it's starting the ICE (that could be different in a PRIUS PRIME?)).

But there is an infinitesimal number of possibilities of the intersection of the 2 (3) torque curves with a hybrid - the number of times the RPM of the ICE and the RPM of the Electric Motor coincide would be infinity - or close to it.

Sure they could give you a Torque figure, but it would vary by the nano-second, due to the characteristics of a Series-Parallel Hybrid.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think @Invertedblue was seeking parameter IDs to enter into the software called Torque, so it could retrieve real-time information from the hybrid vehicle control ECU. I imagine these could be determined by monitoring a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system in Data List mode, but I don’t know if anyone has done that.

There have been several previous threads on this topic:

Gen4 Prius: Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App) with formulas | PriusChat
    Gen IV Prius Prime Custom PIDs for Torque app | PriusChat
    Gen IV Prius Custom PIDs for Torque app | PriusChat

4. Invertedblue

Invertedblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Although not what I asked, thank you for such a detailed response. It’s a breath of fresh air to come to a community that cares and researches so much.