1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2019 RAV4 with all-wheel drive and...

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PriusV17, Oct 3, 2018.

1. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    gets 52mpg

.. and a range of 600 miles.

.. and can pull 3,637-pound maximum towing capacity

Could this be a typo?

"Power hits the road through a much improved all-wheel-drive system. The claimed sprint time to 62 mph is 8.1 seconds, and Toyota says it expects returns of 4.5 l/100km, or around 52.3 mpg US."

toyota-rav4-hybird-2_800x0w.jpg

The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Proves Efficiency Can Look Good At The Paris Motor Show | Top Speed

2019 Toyota RAV4 Chief Engineer: Gas Station Trips Every Two Weeks Are A Waste Of Time - CarBuzz

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's still a pretty light towing capacity compared to half that weight limit on the smallest size 4x8 ft Harbor Freight Trailer I use on my Prius...

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah but...

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I read that article today. If it's true (meaning it is EPA mileage, not one of inflated Japanese mileage number), I am going to wait for that car. I could not pull trigger on current model of RAV4 Hybrid with measly 32 mpg.

#4 Salamander_King, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is being shown in Paris, and economy expressed in liters/100km, then it is on a Euro (NEDC?) scale, which is substantially more optimistic than the U.S. EPA scale.

Unless something has changed without my notice in the past few years, Euro and U.S. fuel economies are never comparable. And the EPA scale has shifted down in the past few years.

For a starting comparison, compare the current RAV4 on the U.S.EPA site (Fuel Economy) with essentially the same vehicle on an official EU site. That will allow you to compute an approximate fudge- or adjustment-factor.

#5 fuzzy1, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Rmay635703 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick comparison, using Next Greencar Fuel Economy in the UK:

Current Prius Prime / Plug-in

MPG: 54 US, 83 UK (though if that is Imperial gallons, it reduces to 69 per US gallon)
    MPGe: 133 US, 283 UK
    All-EV range: 25 US, 39 UK.

#6 fuzzy1, Oct 4, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what EU mileage rating is used for the current model RAV4 Hybrid. I have not compared EU rating to US, but I have compared Japanese rating to US before. For RAV4 they don't have current 4th Gen in Japan to compare, but for other cars that are sold both in Japan and US, Japanese rating is almost two times better mileage than US EPA rating, so if EU rating is anything similar to Japanese one, I have to say it's not going to impress me.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then look at the Prime comparison I posted above, for an approximation. Though different propulsion topologies may well produce different ratios.

The Japanese scale is generally even more optimistic than the EU scale.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well think about it. It has the same engine as the Camry but it's heavier and less aerodynamic. I would expect no better than the Camry SE/XLE Hybrids mpg which are EPA-rated at 46mpg combined (44/47). My guess is 40 mpg combined.

For comparison, the old Camry Hybrid vs. old RAV4 Hybrid mpgs are 40 vs. 32 combined.

Edit: Also, Toyota in Europe rates the Camry Hybrid at 56mpg combined for comparison. (4.2L/100km)

#9 Tideland Prius, Oct 4, 2018
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Europe Press Release

New RAV4 Hybrid at the 2018 Paris Motor Show

• [T]he design and location of the fuel tank have been changed to achieve better handling and stability. The tank is now located laterally in front of the rear axle so that its load is spread evenly between the wheels, supporting flat, stable performance. Optimum weight balance is not only achieved front-to-rear (51/49) but also left-to-right.
    • The load space behind the rear seats has been made larger and more user-friendly, notably thanks to a fully flat floor and a length extended by 60 mm to secure best-in-class capacity, 79 litres more than in the current RAV4. Flexibility is designed-in so that the space can easily be adapted to gain more cargo room when required: with the rear seats folded down, the new RAV4 can accommodate a 29-inch mountain bike without any wheels having to be removed.
    • There is a height-adjustable, two-level deck board that can be reversed when dirty items need to be carried. The rear seats have a 60:40 split-folding function and there are storage nets on each side of the boot. Clever details include a hand grip on the tailgate that can serve as a hanger and a power-operated tailgate with hands-free function.
    • Key components, including the power control unit (PCU) and the Nickel metal-hydride battery are more compact and lighter in weight, and have been engineered to reduce electrical and mechanical losses.
    • Compared to the current model, the level of torque that can be directed to the rear wheels has been increased by 30 per cent, enabling a front/rear split from 100:0 to up to 20:80, depending on driving conditions. Maximum torque to the rear wheels has increased from 953 to 1,300 Nm, matching or overachieving torque achieved by mechanical systems and giving more sure-footed performance, for example when pulling away on loose, slippery surfaces.
    • The RAV4 Hybrid gains a higher level of capability with the introduction of a new automatic limited-slip differential control – Trail Mode – which ensures the best possible grip and control in slippery conditions. It can also provide valuable assistance when tackling challenging off-road conditions.

With the current generation RAV4 Hybrid, there is a risk of the vehicle becoming stranded if a driven wheel loses contact with the ground on very uneven terrain. On the new model, by activating the Trail Mode (via a Drive mode selector on the centre console), the free rotating wheel can be braked and drive torque directed to the grounded wheel. Throttle control and the transmission shift pattern are also adapted to help the driver keep the vehicle moving.

11. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel consumption numbers are "Correlated NEDC" as stated in the PR:
    New RAV4 Hybrid at the 2018 Paris Motor Show

Looks like they didn't test it on the new WLTP yet, the test is more demanding and more time consuming, so they are probably not in a hurry. Anyway those numbers have nothing to do with EPA even comparing Camry to RAV4 and adjusting Camry EPA to get RAV4 numbers is not really realistic.

Bu if I had to guess I would say RAV4 will be rated around 40 MPG on the EPA.

Trollbait likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if new RAV4 Hybrid gets >40mpg by EPA, I will be considering it as possible option. 40mpg is the minimum. Honda CRV and new Subaru hybrid, if I can get AWD with good cargo space and >40 mpg, I am in. That said I still want PHEV SUV with decent mpg. I am counting out Outlander at this time for very low EV range and low HV mpg.

mrlebop likes this.
  13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    New drive train in the Outlander for 2019, may help!

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing: the CUV's as a class have a distinctly different drive feel, they're more cumbersome, truck-like. I've driven our son's Mazda CX-5 a few times: it's cool, fun to drive, but I feel a lot more comfortable in our 2010 Touring. Obviously I'm a lot more familiar with the latter, that might well be some of it.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposed to be getting 15% more cap battery. If that translate into proportional increase in range, it would get ~25 miles EV in 2019. BUT, they are also outfitting it with bigger more powerful engine as well. I can't see that is going to result much improvement in fuel economy on HV side. Current model's 25 mpg is just not acceptable for me.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In addition to the fuel economy rating being lower once it comes to the US, so will the tow rating because of different trailer regulations.
    The Outlander is getting an Atkinson cycle engine next year. That's right, Mitsubishi's hybrid currently doesn't use the more efficient Atkinson cycle.
    2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Now On Sale In Japan

Salamander_King likes this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2019 Mitsubishi Outlander combined fuel economy of 139mpg... I wonder what HV mpg is going to be?

Of course, if it is going to be small volume sales in US just like 2018 PHEV model, Mitsubishi dealer close to me is not going to stock them again.:cry:

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just looked at some U.S. online magazine's review - & they post highway / city EPA's in the low to mid 30's w/ the combined falling inbetween. Unless it gets a traction pack that goes more than a few blocks, at 9mph in EV mode .... no, I'm sorry. It aint gona EPA in the 50's. That's prius range.

telmo744 likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wrong quote?

I'm guessing 40mpg lol.

20. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    If the gas tank didn't change at 14.9gal and they claim a 600 mile range. Then we're looking at about 40mpg. Another website I saw stated 62mpg.