1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2019 Subaru Crosstrek PHEV will be company's first plug-in hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 11, 2018.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Impreza isn't due for a redesign until 2021. If this PHEV is arriving for the 2019MY, it is going to be on the current model as part of the midcycle refresh. That doesn't bode well for the car's battery placement and interior space. Perhaps Subaru is using this as a learning case, or they need a plug in out now for CARB.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't the Crosstrek just get a midlife update?

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The dating on the Wikipedia headers threw me off. It listed the current Impreza generation as starting in 2016, but the car was unveiled then as a 2017MY. The Crosstrek might follow a year behind as reports are saying the 2018 of it is a redesign.
    Why These 2 New-Generation Subarus Are Blowing Up the Entire Lineup | Torque News

So the question is did they allow for a plug in battery in this new platform?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You’d like to think they did but there’s never a guarantee. It could also be a case of “which car will Toyota‘s battery fit with the least modification and reasonable performance?”

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I expect that the platform wasn't designed for a PHEV battery, but Subaru is free to configure the battery as they please to better fit the space.

If this does well, a Forester PHEV could arrive in a couple of years. Now it occurs to me that the Forester could not have been chosen in order to not compete with the Rav4 PHEV though.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    because ....

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite possibly, yes. I hope so. A RAV4 PHV would be sweet (if somewhat pricey. The regular hybrid already tops $41k in Canada. The Outlander PHEV Touring is $50k before taxes o_O). Taxes and PDI are higher in Canada (up to 13% and $1,500-$2,000)

8. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Dumb question here ( no I didn't have time to do my homework ). :D

Does/will Subaru have 'regular' hybrids that use the Toyota HSD? If so, that is a very compelling package to me.

Thanks!

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think you're right- the new shell has room for "a battery" and "a big transmission" and enough strength to have extra holes cut in it for wires and ventilation. That's a big step up from the original Crosstrek hybrid, which just had a tire-shaped battery in the spare tire well. So Subaru ought to be able to configure it a number of different ways with useful results.

I would expect Subaru to proceed with hybrid versions of any & all of their cars. The Forester is due to get its new body for 2019, which should allow for the same hybrid powertrains. Then the Outback gets it in 2020.

Gas Foresters competed against gas RAV4s. Both still around. Quite possible that a hybrid Forester would just result in more parts being sold, but I would admit there is some risk to Toyota there.

They do not presently offer any hybrids at all. They previously offered a Crosstrek Hybrid, which has since been discontinued. It was a 'regular' hybrid, and a very mild one at that. Very small battery installed in the spare tire well and wired to an AWD CVT transmission with a 10kw electric motor added in. Of note, this was NOT a Toyota HSD though it had many similarities. I suspect that the battery itself was made by Toyota though.

It worked, but it wasn't impressive in any dimension. Very little electric boost, very little MPG savings.

Subaru chassis are very carefully laid out to make use of their flat four engine for AWD. The resulting sizes and shapes of the drivetrain parts are wildly incompatible with existing Toyota HSD designs.

I don't think there are any serious engineering or manufacturing hurdles- I really don't see anything stopping them from adapting the transverse HSD into a longitudinal package apart from making sure there is enough demand to justify the effort and expense.

And once they have a longitudinal HSD, that opens the door to a hybrid Tacoma and Lexus IS- they need the same shape Subarus need.

#29 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, May 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  10. toyopri808

toyopri808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I just traded my WRX for my Prime.. *sigh

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota owns 16.5% of Subaru Corporation(formally Fuji Heavy Industries), and non-competition may be part of the partnership arrangement for Subaru to use Toyota hybrid technology. If this is the case, I expect it is merely a temporary thing, assuming a Forester PHEV is planned.

Lexus has RWD hybrid systems. One of those is likely going to be the starting point for Subaru. Likely not the one in the LC 500h. I think that one is too costly, and maybe heavy, for a Crosstrek.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like there are marks all over the scoreboard- the RAV4 and Forester have competed against each other for years. Meanwhile Toyota discontinued the Venza when it became obvious that the Outback was mopping the floor with them in sales. Always interesting to watch coopetition :)

Oh neat, I didn't realize they'd already done one! I agree it would be the right place to start for a Subaru. To add, Subaru transmissions have been on the big and heavy side for a while. The '05-'14 Legacy & Outback shared a transmission with the Nissan Armada & Titan, for example.

13. toyopri808

toyopri808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I look forward to test driving the first one in Huntsville, AL (I will not be holding my breath.)

Bob Wilson

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Price? Oprions? Standard Features?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least they'll have plenty of plug in credits available

will this save money over a regular suburu?

#37 bisco, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2018
  18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm due to replace my Outback before long. That car is going to get a pretty serious look.

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All Subaru Crosstreck PHV or all new 2019 RAV4 hybrid, or whatever the SUV that can get at least 40 mpg will be the one I am going to buy.

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fuel economy is someplace where Subaru still has some fat... their bigger boxers and heavy AWD systems have real penalties for fuel consumption. Great machines, I'm on my second one now. But they're thirsty, so there is opportunity for a hybrid to show real savings.

Oh and did you hear fuel prices were in freefall?